• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest teams of all time.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
If we take a particular Test series & evaluate the strength of both participating teams combined, you'd be hard pressed to find many teams that were better than the two sides that contested the Frank Worrell trophy in 1960/61. Not only do we have great players on both sides, but two of the great captains (as evidenced by MM's thread). I wonder how these 22 players would stack up against, say, both sides from the 2005 Ashes series?

Conrad Hunte
Collie Smith
Rohan Kanhai
Garfield Sobers
Frank Worrell*
Seymour Nurse
Joe Solomon
Gerry Alexander+
Sonny Ramadhin
Wes Hall
Alf Valentine

Colin McDonald
Bob Simpson
Neil Harvey
Norm O'Neill
Peter Burge
Ken Mackay
Alan Davidson
Richie Benaud*
Wally Grout+
Ian Meckiff
Lindsay Kline
I'd always take the West Indian sides from that period over the '80s sides.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 2005 English side was greater than the sum of its parts. The Australian 2005 side were worse than the sum of their parts. England played out of their skin to win the series 2-1 at home.

The 2010 English side were stronger than the 2005 side. The Australian side were far worse than the 2005 side. That's why Australia got spanked 3-1 at home.

I'd comfortably take the 2010 English side over the 2005 side. Let's face it, Australia were never really in the 2010 Ashes. We were in the 2005 Ashes right to the last day of the last test.

The 2005 side had more obvious weak links and without Simon Jones looked incapable of taking 20 wickets.

Tremlett in 2010 looked like he had the goods to be an ATG bowler and I don't know why he never kicked on.

S.Kennedy

Well I'm afraid this is (yet) another occasion where I have to disagree with you people. 2005 no contest for me.

the big bambino

International Captain
Given his injuries and general form over his career the mystery for me was that Tremlett kicked on at all in 2010. His fade away was situation normal and his success the big surprise.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'm afraid this is (yet) another occasion where I have to disagree with you people. 2005 no contest for me.
Nothing wrong with your opinion......its not like its way off the mark, but i still dont agree with it.

Tbh i do feel a bit dirty for pitching against the 2005 side, cos it was a remarkable performance in the greatest series.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 2005 English side was greater than the sum of its parts. The Australian 2005 side were worse than the sum of their parts. England played out of their skin to win the series 2-1 at home.
yes

The 2010 English side were stronger than the 2005 side. The Australian side were far worse than the 2005 side. That's why Australia got spanked 3-1 at home.
stronger on paper maybe, which I guess is the point of the thread? In which case you might be right. But the 2005 side were better

I'd comfortably take the 2010 English side over the 2005 side. Let's face it, Australia were never really in the 2010 Ashes. We were in the 2005 Ashes right to the last day of the last test.
Because the Australian side was infinitely better in 2005. Not because of the English side.

The 2005 side had more obvious weak links and without Simon Jones looked incapable of taking 20 wickets.
Rubbish

Tremlett in 2010 looked like he had the goods to be an ATG bowler and I don't know why he never kicked on.
Nah

I know everyone tends to look at matches/series and think the reason they won/lost is mainly because of their team. If you lose its because you played poorly, if you win it's because you played well. But in the case of those 2 Ashes series the main difference really was the Australian side. The 2005 Aus side was insanely stronger than 2011.

Anyway like I said, if the point of the thread is the strongest sides on paper then 2010-11 England were stronger than 2005. So I'd agree with you there. (Not that either would be close to "Greatest teams of all time" of course)

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Nothing wrong with your opinion......its not like its way off the mark, but i still dont agree with it.

Tbh i do feel a bit dirty for pitching against the 2005 side, cos it was a remarkable performance in the greatest series.
What is your opinion on their respective performances against South Africa? Vaughan's side - and this is basically the same side as the Ashes side except Thorpe was still there and Butcher and Key played a bit also (in place of KP/Bell) - beat South Africa away 2-1 in 2004. Strauss's side with the home advantage were beating by the South African's 2-0 in 2012, the first test by an innings.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
2005 England were far better than 2010-11 England. Maybe on paper 2010-11 look stronger (as people are saying) but not when you look at how they actually played.

Just taking into account the opposition the 2010-11 Australia side were nothing compared to 2005 Australia (even without McGrath). 2010-11 had a few good players but they were all in **** form, not just outplayed like they were in 2005. and 2005 Aus had Warne. 2010-11 had Doherty and Michael Beer. I don't know what it was about 2005 but they never got the same reverse swing like they did in that series.
Free coke bottle top in every packet.
Better triple team moves than The Shield.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What is your opinion on their respective performances against South Africa? Vaughan's side - and this is basically the same side as the Ashes side except Thorpe was still there and Butcher and Key played a bit also (in place of KP/Bell) - beat South Africa away 2-1 in 2004. Strauss's side with the home advantage were beating by the South African's 2-0 in 2012, the first test by an innings.
Yeah but Vaughans side also got beaten at home by South Africa in 2008. And tbh I just think SA is a bit of an odd case to use when trying to weight home V's away performances. Just like Australia we've got a very good record over there throughout this era and a pretty poor one at home against them.

I haven't got time right now but later I'm going to come up with a combined 11 from 2010/11 and 2005, I'd be interested to see what yours (and anyone else's) would be. Pretty sure I'll be able to justify a heavy bias to 2010/11 though in the team.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah if anything the better comparison would be the series in SA in 2009-10 which was a (slightly fortunate) 1-1 draw, albeit against a better Saf team.

S.Kennedy

Yeah but Vaughans side also got beaten at home by South Africa in 2008. And tbh I just think SA is a bit of an odd case to use when trying to weight home V's away performances. Just like Australia we've got a very good record over there throughout this era and a pretty poor one at home against them.

I haven't got time right now but later I'm going to come up with a combined 11 from 2010/11 and 2005, I'd be interested to see what yours (and anyone else's) would be. Pretty sure I'll be able to justify a heavy bias to 2010/11 though in the team.
2008 was not exactly the same team as 2003-05. No Hoggard. Harmison for only one. Jones of course never played another test after Trent
Bridge 2005. No Treshcothick and Giles. Cook, Broad and Anderson now in. Panesar in his pomp. It was beginning to look more like the Strauss set-up by then. Vaughan himself had just gotten back from a lengthy lay-off if memory serves, and it was the end for him before he knew it really.

You could make a better argument as to the 2005's failings in Pakistan, following that Ashes. They still had 3/4 of the pace quartet and the same batsmen and were beaten 2-1. Udal as the spin-option. Yikes!

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough. But the point still stands i dont see too much value in discussing performances against SA for these 2 eras especially when you want to weight it by home and away.

At the end of the day what were really discussing is the 2 Ashes sides itbt.

S.Kennedy

The England side which played South Africa in 2012 was almost identical to the one that played the 2010/11 Ashes. The only major changes were, for reasons I cannot recall Broad only played two tests in the Ashes, and Collingwood had retired by 2012 (he actually retired at the end of that 2010/11 Ashes). In place for 2012 were James Taylor (two tests), Bopara and Bairstow (one test apiece). Tremlett also didn't play in 2012.

Bresnan and Finn were still rotational seamers as they had been in 2010-11, picking up two tests here and there. Basically the same side then.

The England side which won the 2004/05 D'Oliveira Trophy had the same bowling attack as the 2005 Ashes. The batting however was different; Thorpe, Key and Butcher were still around. They were replaced by Bell and Pietersen by the '05 Ashes.

That bowling attack was together for such a short time that we should treasure that brief period it was together, essentially 2003 - 05. Jones was out in the 4th Test of the Ashes. Harmison and Hoggard in and out of form and knackered, dropped by 2008. Flintoff clung on into the Ashes 2009 where he had that magnificent spell at Lord's - Harmison also had a short-lived comeback in that same series. Throw in the fact that Vaughan seemed to be out of the game for years. I do not think he played for the whole of 2006.

Great period in English cricket, 2003 -05.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok heres my combined 2005 - 2010/11 side

1 Cook (10/11)
2 Tresco (2005)
3 Trott (10/11)
4 KP (10/11)
5 Bell (10/11)
6 Flintoff (2005)
7 Prior (10/11)
8 ????
9 Swann (10/11)
10 S Jones (2005)
11 Anderson (10/11)

Genuinely can't decide between Hoggard/Tremlett and Bres for the 4th seamer and I guess it's a close call between Trott and Vaughan at 3.

S.Kennedy

Cook
Treshcothick
Vaughan*
Pietersen
Bell (2010-11 version)
Flintoff
Prior+
Broad
Swann
S. Jones
Anderson

Not bothered which Pietersen turns up as he was good in both of those series. If I could cheat a bit I'd have 2002-3 Vaughan.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah KP was equally good in both series, but I was at Adelaide Oval when he made that double so he get's my nod for 10/11 for that.

Not sure why Broads in your team though, he only played 2 tests in the 10/11 Ashes? Apart from that our teams are not dissimilar and it seems to be a clear win for 2010/11 to me.