• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Team to never play a test

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's one West Indian batsman who bowled a bit, and three (non-West Indian) bowlers who played a handful of Tests between them, leaving me wondering how accurate the rest of this article is.
Hush now, don't let facts ruin a good randycricfreak overhyping of a Sri Lankan...

the big bambino

International Captain
OS mentions the better player, de Saram who did make stylish runs against a quality side. Pity they couldn't wangle him somehow into the Indian test side before the war.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's one West Indian batsman who bowled a bit, and three (non-West Indian) bowlers who played a handful of Tests between them, leaving me wondering how accurate the rest of this article is.
Eh, why does it matter that they didn't play many tests? I don't know much about Pope and Freer, but Tribe is considered a genuine County legend and there's lots of articles which say he should've played way more tests than he did. His FC stats are absolutely filthy too. It's really not a stretch to think he was a test quality bowler who didn't get enough chances at Test level.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Same goes for Pope and to a lesser extent, Freer. Pope missed out on his best years due to the war but he must have been a little past his best by the time he bowled to Satha. Freer missed out because he was up against Lindwall, Miller and Johnston.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eh, why does it matter that they didn't play many tests? I don't know much about Pope and Freer, but Tribe is considered a genuine County legend and there's lots of articles which say he should've played way more tests than he did. His FC stats are absolutely filthy too.
Pope and Freer were 'fast-medium' in the older sense, who would probably be considered medium-fast or just medium these days, and Pope was 39 and very much just medium, and retired from FC cricket, when he toured Ceylon. I wouldn't expect either of them to be much of a threat in Sri Lanka except after rain.
I'll rustle up some footage of them if you want. Edit: Freer is the first seen bowler.

A lot of Tribe's work was done on very amenable pitches in Northamptonshire (that were probably responsible for shortening Tyson's career). I'd be interested to see what his Sheffield Shield average was.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Pope and Freer were 'fast-medium' in the older sense, who would probably be considered medium-fast or just medium these days, and Pope was 39 and very much just medium, and retired from FC cricket, when he toured Ceylon. I wouldn't expect either of them to be much of a threat in Sri Lanka except after rain.
I'll rustle up some footage of them if you want.

A lot of Tribe's work was done on very amenable pitches in Northamptonshire (that were probably responsible for shortening Tyson's career). I'd be interested to see what his Sheffield Shield average was.
86 wickets at 19.

the big bambino

International Captain
Interesting. Those test failures really stood against him then, and I suppose he didn't stick around long enough to give himself another chance. Surely he was a chance of taking Johnson's spot, being both a better bowler and batsman.
Don't know if politics was involved. I think Tribe was a "westie" and Johnson establishment. Then again he may not have been competing against Johnson, who was the 1st choice off spinner, but other wrist spinners like Ring and McCool. Perhaps he missed out to Ring.

SeamUp

International Coach
RE Kenny McEwan
My old man always said he was up there with Border, Waugh and Malik as the most talented overseas batsman we've had at the county ground. Bit before my time unfortunately but a joy to watch by all accounts.
Lovely article on Essex's FC successes.

Enjoyed this part on McEwan.

Those early weeks were also memorable for McEwan, who made 787 runs in the first nine Championship matches before losing his form a little later in the season. By then, though, the South African, who had no prospect of playing Test cricket, was well-ensconced at Chelmsford. He would score over 1000 runs in each of his 12 seasons at the club and would contribute to two more Championship wins. Before him there had been Keith Boyce; after McEwan's return to South Africa there would be Allan Border, Mark Waugh and, eventually, Simon Harmer. All of them bought into the Essex approach but rarely did they earn tributes quite as affectionate as that written by David Lemmon about one of McEwan's innings in 1983:
"Once, while making a century against Kent in Tunbridge Wells, Ken McEwan straight drove, square cut and pulled Derek Underwood to the boundary in the space of one over. Each shot was executed with regal charm, and never a hint of arrogance. He batted, as did the ancients, upright, correct and magisterial. He was incapable of profaning the art of batting, incapable of an ineloquent gesture."

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I've just read Derek Pringle's autobiography, and he echoed those thoughts about McEwan, albeit not as eloquently. An absolute gent, by all accounts.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I believe the Saffers would have been the undisputed #1 team from 1970 - 1976 had cricket been played in a vacuum during that time.

Imagine a series between late 70's Saffers & Windies. The greatest ever Test series that never happened IMO
Windies 2nd rate team drew with them 1-1 in the Rebel Series. Now that is scary.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Seems unlikely now that Richard Gleeson will ever play a Test, but I think he'd have done well -- bowls 90mph with good control and can swing it.

James Hildreth?