• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Fast Bowler Ever

priestfan

Cricket Spectator
Isolator said:
Iron Butterfly - one good song.
I have not listened to the song '' Iron butterfly ''.
I meant the band from the 60s responsible for songs like Inna gada da vida and The Mirage.
The name of the song was supposed to be 'in the garden of eden' but the guy who wrote it was so drunk that he made it come out like '' Inna Gada Da Vida ''.

priestfan

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
Always difficult to decide on something as fleeting as a single over - and senility has kicked in for me too, hence the reason why I become easily distracted.

Oh, look. A robin!
Imagination aches after senility as stated by the better man. The overs, the spells, the cup of tea and then the hour of bad light heralding the fatal delivery.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Always difficult to decide on something as fleeting as a single over - and senility has kicked in for me too, hence the reason why I become easily distracted.

Oh, look. A robin!

Singh or Smith :blink:

As to the point of the thread, Marshall, IMO !

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The best I have seen is C.E.L.Ambrose although McGrath comes close.

Also, I would have liked to see more of Donald in the years he lost.

Slow Love™

International Captain
priestfan said:
I have not listened to the song '' Iron butterfly ''.
I meant the band from the 60s responsible for songs like Inna gada da vida and The Mirage.
The name of the song was supposed to be 'in the garden of eden' but the guy who wrote it was so drunk that he made it come out like '' Inna Gada Da Vida ''.
Haha, I think that was a distortion of the story - I think I read somewhere that the drummer had headphones on and when he asked the singer for the title of the track, he misheard what he said, and it stuck.

BTW, I think Isolater probably meant "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida" being Iron Butterfly's only good song. I could be wrong though.

I was gonna say Hadlee, Lillee or Holding here, but then I looked back through the thread and realised I'd already said that about a year ago.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Greatest outright fast bowler for me would be Hadlee, ahead of McGrath, Lillee, Holding, Marshall and Trueman, not necessarily in that order.

The most complete is Lillee, in my opinion. I consider a "complete fast bowler" to be one who has all the assets. Pace, movement both in the air and off the wicket, the ability to intimidate a batsman as well as think them out, and all the necessary variations. No other fast bowler possesses all these qualities like Lillee.

priestfan

Cricket Spectator
Slow Love™ said:
Haha, I think that was a distortion of the story - I think I read somewhere that the drummer had headphones on and when he asked the singer for the title of the track, he misheard what he said, and it stuck.

BTW, I think Isolater probably meant "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida" being Iron Butterfly's only good song. I could be wrong though.

I was gonna say Hadlee, Lillee or Holding here, but then I looked back through the thread and realised I'd already said that about a year ago.

I sort of agree with the one hit wonder thing here but it was quite a track. Funny how it came about ...

Beleg

International Regular
luckyeddie,

Huh? Did I steal your goat or what? As far as I can recall, I have never enganged in a heated arguement with you, let alone a 'puerile' one.

My comments in this debate weren't even directed your way. Of course, it is your prerogative to continue or abandon the discussion but I do find the whole 'You-win-but-you-are-still-a-muttonhead' tack to be somewhat reminiscent of fourth grade boys slinging off one last insult before disappearing behind the backs of the their mothers and fathers at the end of the school day... :)

anyway whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Beleg

International Regular
Pakistan then has some very bright prospects. The bowler I forgot to mention is Mohammad Akram.
Mohd Akram never quite made it on the international level. He was a moderately talented lad and also possessed the inherent advantage that comes with height but all his life he had to play in the shadow of the two W's and never quite lived up to his potential even though selectors gave him a fairer chance than most. But he certainly wasn't the most talented Pakistani fastie of the 90's - that honour goes to Mohd. Zahid.

You could have stated all this in a friendly manner instead you chose to over interpret my enthusiasm for the cricket of the 70s/80s.
My response was in the direct measure to the contents of your post.

You must also realize that the context created by such debates some times only captures half the issue. If I sum up something in a way that does not seem to make sense to you pray go neath the surface and see for yourself why the cricket of the modern era has become less interesting.
It isn't my job to search for inneundo's and hidden meanings imbued in the text. Taking a post at face value is not a fault. :) Besides, I don't think cricket of modern era has become any less interesting. I have been pretty much following cricket since I was old enough to ride a tricycle and I haven't felt any visible decline in the enjoyment level.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, I think.

Sometimes an oversensitve mind like yours can discern something not quite intended.
The original poster should remember that we aren't all mindreaders here. Simpler sentences would not only carry the meaning across more succintly but also diminish the chances of misunderstandings.

Rana Naveed has the ability to turn into a excellent ODI bowler and work well as a test workhorse. Mohd. Shabbir can be devestating on his day but he tends to unravel pretty quickly in the absense of any movement or lateral swing. Shoaib Akhtar is Shoaib Akhtar and others are nothing to write home about.

That's my assessment.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
luckyeddie,

Huh? Did I steal your goat or what? As far as I can recall, I have never enganged in a heated arguement with you, let alone a 'puerile' one.

My comments in this debate weren't even directed your way. Of course, it is your prerogative to continue or abandon the discussion but I do find the whole 'You-win-but-you-are-still-a-muttonhead' tack to be somewhat reminiscent of fourth grade boys slinging off one last insult before disappearing behind the backs of the their mothers and fathers at the end of the school day... :)

anyway whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
Like I said....

Puerile point-scoring.

1-0 to you.

Beleg

International Regular
Haha, puerile indeed.

Only those who have nothing worthwhile to contribute act like this.

*Looks forward to the next point...and the next point...and the nex----* :)

priestfan

Cricket Spectator
Beleg said:
Mohd Akram never quite made it on the international level. He was a moderately talented lad and also possessed the inherent advantage that comes with height but all his life he had to play in the shadow of the two W's and never quite lived up to his potential even though selectors gave him a fairer chance than most. But he certainly wasn't the most talented Pakistani fastie of the 90's - that honour goes to Mohd. Zahid.

My response was in the direct measure to the contents of your post.

It isn't my job to search for inneundo's and hidden meanings imbued in the text. Taking a post at face value is not a fault. :) Besides, I don't think cricket of modern era has become any less interesting. I have been pretty much following cricket since I was old enough to ride a tricycle and I haven't felt any visible decline in the enjoyment level.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, I think.

The original poster should remember that we aren't all mindreaders here. Simpler sentences would not only carry the meaning across more succintly but also diminish the chances of misunderstandings.

Rana Naveed has the ability to turn into a excellent ODI bowler and work well as a test workhorse. Mohd. Shabbir can be devestating on his day but he tends to unravel pretty quickly in the absense of any movement or lateral swing. Shoaib Akhtar is Shoaib Akhtar and others are nothing to write home about.

That's my assessment.
Is there a chance for Zahid to make a come back? I have been somewhat out of touch since I lost interest. Overshadowed by the Ws a lot of bowlers faded before they could come of age.
Beleg it is good to see how passionate you are about the game but the adage here is '' to each his own''. For me the enjoyment level was directely proportional to the presence of inspirational characters who lived up to the moment. There were no innuendoes in my post since they were merely over effusive and nostalgic reminiscences of how the game once was.

I remember the exploits of one Qasim Omar. I think he got on the wrong side of the establishment and was shown the door for some indiscreet criticism of the team. I wonder what became of him.. he was a class act.

Let us not nitpick away and keep this discussion constructive.

nick-o

State 12th Man
priestfan said:
Now to the subject of one Michael Holding. I must pause for a moment and reflect on the cosmos itself for Holding is , as I have mentioned earlier , above the game. It is pardonable sacrilege if one mentions him in the context of cricket. Metaphors wither and words retreat to a brooding lack thereof for the discussion on Holding has begun.

Is the universe a mere spatial temporal riddle seeking its measure in the 44 yard run up of the man? that it is and nothing but... holding running into bowl would make time itself tarry and lose count of its spoils.. That stride and then another and then a whole series of them and in the end a silken culmination of the delivery itself..and all so soundless so elegant that the host of angels up above would interpret with prayer the spectacle that God allowed us mortal men. Ever noticed his expression in his run up? So still so calm and smooth like the lake of suicides and he had the air of inevitability about him. Indeed he was Whispering Death. Indeed his craft rhymed with some stanza some line that the cricketing world could not decipher or understand or find. The wind rising a little and then letting its breath straggle in holding's shirt as it would ripple in some sublime rhythm to the steps he would take. How still was his head.. how expectant the battle field. did you know he was unofficially clocked at 102 mph against the wind?
It would've been simpler to say "poetry in motion", but giving us some poetry to describe the motion says it all.

Watching Holding in his prime spoiled me. No bowler ever since can hold a candle, and that candle's been burning a long, long time.

Thanx, priestfan -- and for those of you who never had the chance to watch Holding at his silent work, ask yourselves why those of us that did watch him rate him so high...

priestfan

Cricket Spectator
Does anyone here have Black Sabbath's Sabotage on cd? If yes, can you tell me if they have left the laughter at the end of " am I going insane ? " unedited. It should merge with the following track '' The Writ ''.

What do you guys think of Uriah Heep. Priestfan here rates them very high for the Hensley/byron albums..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
priestfan said:
Does anyone here have Black Sabbath's Sabotage on cd? If yes, can you tell me if they have left the laughter at the end of " am I going insane ? " unedited. It should merge with the following track '' The Writ ''.

What do you guys think of Uriah Heep. Priestfan here rates them very high for the Hensley/byron albums..
Priestfan, can we keep this area free of the world's greatest music and concentrate on cricket?

Move to 'off topic' and I'll see you there

priestfan

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
Priestfan, can we keep this area free of the world's greatest music and concentrate on cricket?

Move to 'off topic' and I'll see you there
Certainly would sir.. I sort of got carried away. To stay the proper course here is one for the rest of the party here. I would like to know if Brian Close was right in implying that Viv had a weakness in facing left arm fast bowlers over the wicket early on in his innings. Brian seemed to think that Viv kept his left elbow a bit too rigid.