• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great cricketing names

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Omari Banks and Rawl Lewis.

Anyone who has lived past the age of 30 with a name like Rawl can't be a half-bad guy.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
There was an umpire once who's surname was 'Mah****, pronounced 'My ****'.

Eeek, censor kind of shot me down. Think B double-O B.

SA

Banned
BlackCap_Fan said:
There was an umpire once who's surname was 'Mah****, pronounced 'My ****'.
He was a Pakistani umpire & Mah**** in Urdu/Hindi means 'your loved one" & its pronounced as Meh **** & not as My ****.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
ethos said:
Russell Arnold.
I guess this was meant to be sarcastic, but it is sort of funny..

"The batting line up for Sri Lanka today - Sanath Jayasuriya, Kumar Sangakarra, Mahela Jayawardene, debutanant Kalamalagechamindawarinda Warnaraweeraranamalagage, Rusell Arnold..."

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well the name 'Rusell Arnold' makes you (or me at least) think of some fat Aussie construction worker, and definetely not a Sri Lankan batsman.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Heath Te-Ihi-O-Te-Rangi Davis.

Also quite possibly one of the strangest and disturbing people to play test cricket, if stories from his team-mates are to be believed.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:

Also quite possibly one of the strangest and disturbing people to play test cricket, if stories from his team-mates are to be believed.
Not to mention that he once bowled a pie to a batsman in first class cricket.

Seriously. An actual meat pie.

Cracker.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ethos said:
Russell Arnold.
Yep - one of my faves. Just doesn't fit with the likes of Jayasuriya, Jayawardena and Attapatu.

Always had a soft spot for Mark Greatbatch.

Then there's Tongan batting master Maunaloa Faivakimoana.

And I do admit to the odd chortle when I hear Salman Butt. 8-)

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Voltman said:

From his cricinfo player profile:

"A tearaway quickie whose chief attribute was to get the ball from A to B as quickly as possible notwithstanding any other consideration"

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Explanation of Sri Lankan names, copied from a post in another board :

From my understanding of how Sri Lankan (Sinhalese as opposed to Tamil) names work, they are split up into a number of sections.

For example, for Mahela Jayawardene.....

Denagamage Proboth Mahela de Silva (Mahela) Jayawardene

Denagamage is a combination of three seperate names - 'Dena', 'Gama' and 'Ge'. Gama describes the clan to which his family belongs to i.e. farmer. 'Ge' describes the position of the family within this clan - in this case a high order as 'ge' means house (his family probably owned farmland in the area where they lived). 'Dena' is the hamlet/village/town from where the family comes from. Putting this all together, 'Denagamage' means "the farm-owner from Dena".

Proboth is a forename, given by his parents.

Mahela is the given name i.e. his name.

de Silva is a middle name. This may be made up by the parents, or it could be the mother's maiden name (as is probable in this case). de Silva is actually a Portugese name (Sri Lanka was once a colony of Portugal and many Sinhalese took Portugese names during this times, such as Vaas, Alwis, Cooray etc.), and means "House of Silva".

Jayawardene is the family name.

Warnakulasooriya Patabandige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas

A little different here as Vaas is a Catholic, as opposed to Buddhist. The majority of Sinhalese (90%), the remaining being Christian.

This time his mother's maiden name is given first - Warnakulasooriya.

Patabandige is Vaas's equivalent of Jayawardene's Denagamage. It is made up of 'Pata', 'Bandi' and 'Ge'. 'Bandi' probably comes from 'Banda', which means businessman, so his family is from a business clan. 'Ge' again means 'house of', so they were probably quite high up in the clan order. 'Pata' is a place somewhere in Sri Lanka I'm guessing. So "The businessman from Pata"

He has been given two other names (forenames or middle names) by his parents - one to signify his race or people the Sinhalese (Ushantha), and one for his religion Catholicism (Joseph).

Chaminda is his given name - I think it means "Joyful One".

Vaas is his family name - a Portugese name.

So the ordering of the various names is slightly different for Vaas than Jayawardene. Jayawardene's is the more usual one.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Voltman said:

How come? I just missed his career, noticed he was in ICC, and wouldn't mind hearing some more about him..