• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith warns Panesar of racist abuse

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think Monty will be more well of than any other black players to have played in Australia.

I mean, he's such a likeable guy, if someone starts racialy attacking him in the crowd, i would imagine that a lot more people woud defend him and tell the racist bastards to shutup.

I think/hope he'll be as popular over there as he is here.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
Fair warning, but it would sound a lot better if it came from someone other than Smith.
Why? He is the captain of the team who was racially abused and as captain also the official spokesman.:dontgetit

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Poker Boy said:
Why doesn't Mr Smith just shut up? We've heard it all before, its BORING!!:sleep: And I take it if Monty is playing at the nice, friendly "bullring" he wouldn't get abuse? PS - If I was an Aussie I'd be mad - to be lectured on racsim from the captain of the country that created apartheid...pots and kettles, anyone?
Why should he? If you've heard it all before, don't listen to it.:ph34r: I missed the lecture, though. All I saw were some comments of sympathy for a fellow cricketer who might be subjected to abuse. We all feel we have the right to freedom of speech. Why should he be denied his?8-) Smith wasn't even born when apartheid was created. ( Me either, for that matter.)

archie mac

International Coach
At the PMs XI I did not hear one racist taunt of Monty and I was with a lot of 'lads'. Just would like too add that Giles was great signing autographs and joking with the crowd when he missed fielded the ball:)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
archie mac said:
At the PMs XI I did not hear one racist taunt of Monty and I was with a lot of 'lads'. Just would like too add that Giles was great signing autographs and joking with the crowd when he missed fielded the ball:)
It will be a lot different at the MCG, I tell you.

Matt79

Global Moderator
shortpitched713 said:
Just because something gets repeated over and over again from the Australian press, doesn't mean its true. To me, the ex-pats just seem like a pretty easy scapegoat for those willing to excuse Australian crowd behavior, and it comes off as a pretty piss poor excuse too. And I don't think that one can plead ignorance on this one either. In a country as big as Australia, you're going to have some people who know about these terminologies, and it doesn't take that many people in a stadium to make things get ugly.

Anyway, from the nature of the complaints I heard from the South Africans, the problem seems to be limited to a small minority of the spectators that are causing problems. I don't think it would be too difficult to nip these sort of problems in the bud by booting the offending trouble makers from the ground.
except people were apparently using terms specific to South Africa that I'd never heard of before. Just because its reported many times doesn't make it not true either you know

archie mac

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
It will be a lot different at the MCG, I tell you.
Well I will be there and I will let you know, but then again I was there when Nasser was here and Devon Malcolm and I still heard nothing.

Since when did Australia become the racist country? We had aboriginals playing sport at the top level long before countries such as the US

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think some people assosciate Australia with racism because of the unfair treatment that the Aboriginal people used to receive. New Zealand were the same towards the Maori's and so were American with the negro's, but the Aboriginals were by far the most oppressed people because of their skin in past times. It's unfair to label the current Australian people as racist, but they certainly were back then. Monty will get a bit of banter from the crowd but if anybody seriously starts to racially abuse him I imagine that person will be beaten up pretty quickly.

FRAZ

International Captain
I do not want to get into any race based talk or I am not going to generalize any country over here but I gotta say that "Assumptions and sarcasm is what I felt " ,But may be it's every where... Still I didn't find as much warmth and open mindedness in some members (They are kinda ambassadors of their place and also they portray what an ordinary spectator might do while sitting in the stands) as I feel there should be .
It's not generalization but it's just like ........I dunno !!!! For example some people are just going to pre-plan their mind about any individual and might stick with that plan forever and won't change ever.. There was a gentleman who said he liked Fraz posts and one person jumped in and said he is this and that and I never even talked about him or against him and another person jumped in with the same sarcasm mode saying "True that" in the thread Some things which will always be humorous" .. And the person who said"true that" is never being humorous himself !!!!
Any ways no one is perfect and me neither ..Just a matter of speech and overall behavior of the people !!!!

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sorry Fraz - I DO like your posts, but you're being a little too vague there for me to know what point you're trying to make? Are you saying that the members of this forum from a particular country have been disparaging towards you in the past?

FRAZ

International Captain
Matt79 said:
Sorry Fraz - I DO like your posts, but you're being a little too vague there for me to know what point you're trying to make? Are you saying that the members of this forum from a particular country have been disparaging towards you in the past?
Nothing just forget it ! I am not a person like that but just I said some thing which is bad I guess but still I did not use any hidden lock while saying it ! Sorry for that !!!!

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Perm said:
I think some people assosciate Australia with racism because of the unfair treatment that the Aboriginal people used to receive. New Zealand were the same towards the Maori's and so were American with the negro's, but the Aboriginals were by far the most oppressed people because of their skin in past times. It's unfair to label the current Australian people as racist, but they certainly were back then. Monty will get a bit of banter from the crowd but if anybody seriously starts to racially abuse him I imagine that person will be beaten up pretty quickly.
Not too sure about that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
That's an awful statement to make. I can't actually believe that you're associating any South African with the apartheid. It's like saying a German person can't be pro HUman Rights, because they once had Hitler as their leader.
Actually, I think he has a pretty good point. Smith is, after all, attacking Australian crowds by association and making assumptions about their general behaviour based on selective examples and little other evidence, similar to assuming that white South Africans are inherently racist. Even assuming that the remarks directed at the South African players weren't from ex-pats, there's no notable history of racial abuse being directed towards players from the West Indies, Pakistan, India etc, so why would Panesar be particularly likely to be targeted?

Smith is merely having a dig at Australia based on our perception as a racist society, which is fine, but I think South Africa would have more to answer for if one was to take that particular path. So yes, it is a bit rich to have a white South African effectively say "your nation is racist", given apartheid.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
jot1 said:
Sympathy and interest towards a fellow cricketer?8-)
India are touring South Africa shortly, yes? If Ricky Ponting came out and warned, say, Harbhajan that he might suffer racial abuse in South Africa, would you imagine he was doing it out of "sympathy and interest towards a fellow cricketer"? I wouldn't.

howardj

International Coach
Smith's just trying to nail Australia for something....anything.

In his first series against us in 2002 in SA, he went on and on and on with how the Australians sledged him. Poor boy.

Then, with the re-match out here in Australia, he's still going on and on and on - this time about some blokes in the crowd.

He can't nail Australia with cricket performances, so he fishes around until he can find something....anything.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Smith's just trying to nail Australia for something....anything.

In his first series against us in 2002 in SA, he went on and on and on with how the Australians sledged him. Poor boy.

Then, with the re-match out here in Australia, he's still going on and on and on - this time about some blokes in the crowd.

He can't nail Australia with cricket performances, so he fishes around until he can find something....anything.
that's pretty much what it looks like...monty might cop abuse but smith doesn't have anything to do with this series and it's really not his call to make, can't really believe he has any genuine concern for panesar, looks like he just wanted to cause a big fuss, to me showing all the traits of a sore loser....

pasag

RTDAS
jot1 said:
Why? He is the captain of the team who was racially abused and as captain also the official spokesman.:dontgetit
Racially abused by a South African ffs. Why do peole continuously keep leaving this out.