• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Hick V Mark Ramprakash

Who was the better Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too many people - inexplicably so in some cases - seem under the illusion that he was never successful in the Test-match game. Yet he was, solidly, for 3 years. Successful to a level, I don't hesitate to suggest, that Justin Langer could only dream of.
You might have to clarify that with numbers because to me, considering there were periods where Langer ranked top 5 in the batting rankings and, for that 3-year period, Hick (I think) averaged less than 50, I'd say Langer would feel pretty safe with his record.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But how many times? Hick did show some form, and some damn superb form, between 1992/93 and 1995/96, when he was barely out of the side. This consisted of not too far short of half his Test career. He scored runs, so he stayed in the team, just as Langer did more often than not 1998/99-2006/07.

Too many people - inexplicably so in some cases - seem under the illusion that he was never successful in the Test-match game. Yet he was, solidly, for 3 years. Successful to a level, I don't hesitate to suggest, that Justin Langer could only dream of.
Nonsense, it's a career that counts not an isolated period in an otherwise poor record

Langer scored 23 centuries, averaged nearly 15 more per innings, played 100+ tests and was part of one of the most successful teams in history

If you think he enives Hick's record in any way, shape or form then you are the one that is dreaming

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You might have to clarify that with numbers because to me, considering there were periods where Langer ranked top 5 in the batting rankings and, for that 3-year period, didn't Hick averaged less than 50?
Hick averaged 48, and there was only one attack in there which could really be called "weak". It was rare for Langer circa 1998/99-2006/07 to face, never mind score against, bowlers of the calibre Hick scored against in this time. About the only occasions Langer scored runs against particularly good bowling-attacks were England in 1998/99 and 2005, and one innings against Sri Lanka in 2003/04, plus maybe another two at The WACA in 2004/05.

I repeat: I very, very much doubt Langer could have done as well as Hick did in 1992/93-1995/96. It's not completely impossible, but it's exceptionally unlikely. Because no amount of mental fortitude changes the fact Hick was overwhelmingly a far more skilled batsman than Langer.

To underestimate how well Hick played in this period is criminal. He was brilliant, nothing short of. Any criticism of him must centre on completely different times, and only then is it fair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonsense, it's a career that counts not an isolated period in an otherwise poor record

Langer scored 23 centuries, averaged nearly 15 more per innings, played 100+ tests and was part of one of the most successful teams in history

If you think he enives Hick's record in any way, shape or form then you are the one that is dreaming
Langer had the better full career, but Hick's best period (which formed not far short of half his career) was good to a level Langer is extremely unlikely to have been capable of matching.

You don't seem to have any grip whatsoever of just how long Hick was good for. It wasn't just an isolated 6 or 7 Tests.

Top_Cat

Hick averaged 48, and there was only one attack in there which could really be called "weak". It was rare for Langer circa 1998/99-2006/07 to face, never mind score against, bowlers of the calibre Hick scored against in this time. About the only occasions Langer scored runs against particularly good bowling-attacks were England in 1998/99 and 2005, and one innings against Sri Lanka in 2003/04, plus maybe another two at The WACA in 2004/05.

I repeat: I very, very much doubt Langer could have done as well as Hick did in 1992/93-1995/96. It's not completely impossible, but it's exceptionally unlikely. Because no amount of mental fortitude changes the fact Hick was overwhelmingly a far more skilled batsman than Langer.

To underestimate how well Hick played in this period is criminal. He was brilliant, nothing short of. Any criticism of him must centre on completely different times, and only then is it fair.
Yet you completely disregard Langer's performances over a longer time period against all manner of attacks. That's unfair, Richard. Hick had a decent run of form but averaging 48 over a period of 29 Tests was nothing unusual even for the time. No-one is disputing that Hick had rare physical and technical talent but, as so many players over the years have found, it takes more than that to succeed over a long period of time. Cherry picking his best period and using to say he was a better Test player than Langer, especially when he was so very ordinary otherwise, is unfair to Langer. Langer, easily the more accomplished Test player and most people would pick the less talented but far more productive bloke over the other if they actually wanted to win some games.

Top_Cat

Langer had the better full career, but Hick's best period (which formed not far short of half his career) was good to a level Langer is extremely unlikely to have been capable of matching.
Why? Because he's less talented? Talent alone isn't enough. There's plenty in Langer's career to suggest he would have done just fine against the same attacks.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Whilst calmly ignoring the fact that Langer maintained an average of almost that for 105 tests

Bottom line is that, as a batsman, if you get picked for 60-odd tests, chances are that you'll have some success at some stage.

Unfortunately, that's not enough to camouflague the fact his record is poor overall which indicates that he was incredibly ****e for the vast majority of his tests

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet you completely disregard Langer's performances over a longer time period against all manner of attacks. That's unfair, Richard. Hick had a decent run of form but averaging 48 over a period of 29 Tests was nothing unusual even for the time. No-one is disputing that Hick had rare physical and technical talent but, as so many players over the years have found, it takes more than that to succeed over a long period of time. Cherry picking his best period and using to say he was a better Test player than Langer, especially when he was so very ordinary otherwise, is unfair to Langer. Langer, easily the more accomplished Test player and most people would pick the less talented but far more productive bloke over the other if they actually wanted to win some games.
haha, i can't believe langer is being compared to hick here..

:laugh: :laugh:
FFS. Langer's career is not being compared to Hick's career. I've already stated, as clearly as possible - Langer's Test career was indeed a better one than Hick's.

The point is, too many people underestimate just how good Hick was - and we continue to see it with this post; Corey saying "Hick had a decent run of form". No, it was far more than a decent run of form - it was a time, of considerable length, where he was consistently excellent against a wide range of very powerful attacks, something Justin Langer (and many others, let's remind ourselves) was (very probably) not capable of.

There were things Langer did best (and, let's remind ourselves, some down purely to fortune and not calibre of play). But there is no way, to my mind, he'd have been capable of doing as well as Hick did 1992/93-1995/96. Too many people seem keen to build this up as if I'm saying Hick's Test career > Langer's Test career, so please - pack it in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why? Because he's less talented? Talent alone isn't enough. There's plenty in Langer's career to suggest he would have done just fine against the same attacks.
I don't think there is. Langer always had limitations. He could and did on a few occasions conquer high-calibre seam-bowling, but still not as much and not to the extent that Hick briefly did. Langer was also almost always a pretty poor player of spin, like most WAns of his time.

Langer may have done decently, but I don't see him averaging more than 35 or so over that particular Hick period. Fortunately for him, he didn't ever get confronted with it. And unfortunately for Hick, he was unable to maintain the calibre of play he achieved in that period - though this was not exclusively due to his own faults.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whilst calmly ignoring the fact that Langer maintained an average of almost that for 105 tests
Err - no, I didn't ignore it at all.
Bottom line is that, as a batsman, if you get picked for 60-odd tests, chances are that you'll have some success at some stage.

Unfortunately, that's not enough to camouflague the fact his record is poor overall which indicates that he was incredibly ****e for the vast majority of his tests
Both these statements are complete bull****. I've already shown that Hick was in fact clearly excellent for what amounts, if you can make simple calculations, to 44.6% of his Test career (and he shouldn't even have played the last 5 of his Tests, so it's 48.33% of what should have been his Test career). Hick's success was far more than "at some stage", it was for a very large amount of time. And if you're foolish enough to try to look at his career as one thing, not three separate stages, you will indeed fall victim to camoflauge. If, on the other hand, you understand cricket, you'll see that his career divides into a small first stage where he was technically inept, a considerable second where he was one of the best batsmen going around, and a disjointed third where he had some misfortune but could not work around this and never looked like being a Test-class batsman again.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
But how many times? Hick did show some form, and some damn superb form, between 1992/93 and 1995/96, when he was barely out of the side. This consisted of not too far short of half his Test career. He scored runs, so he stayed in the team, just as Langer did more often than not 1998/99-2006/07.

langer is so ahead of hick that any comparison(peak or consistency or overall or whatever) becomes an utter joke...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Both these statements are complete bull****. I've already shown that Hick was in fact clearly excellent for what amounts, if you can make simple calculations, to 44.6% of his Test career (and he shouldn't even have played the last 5 of his Tests, so it's 48.33% of what should have been his Test career). Hick's success was far more than "at some stage", it was for a very large amount of time. And if you're foolish enough to try to look at his career as one thing, not three separate stages, you will indeed fall victim to camoflauge. If, on the other hand, you understand cricket, you'll see that his career divides into a small first stage where he was technically inept, a considerable second where he was one of the best batsmen going around, and a disjointed third where he had some misfortune but could not work around this and never looked like being a Test-class batsman again.

Bloody hell.:laugh: Wait 'til the Wheel Tappers and Shunters Club read this.

Top_Cat

The point is, too many people underestimate just how good Hick was - and we continue to see it with this post; Corey saying "Hick had a decent run of form". No, it was far more than a decent run of form - it was a time, of considerable length, where he was consistently excellent against a wide range of very powerful attacks, something Justin Langer (and many others, let's remind ourselves) was (very probably) not capable of.
That the attacks he faced were 'very powerful', is somewhat open to debate. He came up against India which had Kapil Dev very much at the end of his career and Kumble just starting, Sri Lanka at the time were pretty ordinary, Australia had Warne but were missing McDermott for most of the 1993 series which left them with Tim May, Paul Reiffel, Fleming and Merv; solid Test bowlers but far from greats, the WI which had Curtly and Courtney with the Benjamins for support and sometimes Ian Bishop so they were strong, the Saffies had Donald, Pollock, MacMillan, De Villiers, etc. so were relatively strong when not playing Australia (:p).

I think you'll find Langer hit tons against almost as good attacks over a longer period of time so to say he wouldn't be capable of what Hick did is really unfair on him. Langer prospered against teams like Pakistan when Wasim, Akhtar and Saqlain were bowling well, averaged 43 in the 2005 Ashes series and was the only batsman in the Aussie line-up who consistently looked up to the fight (it makes me cringe to think how Hick would have done but that's conjecture).

Hick had a very good run of form, yes, but it's a lot easier to score runs when you're in form, isn't it? When he was anything short of that, he was total mess and his career average reflects that. Hick clearly was a more naturally talented player and was better against spin than Langer but Langer was a far superior player overall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That the attacks he faced were 'very powerful', is somewhat open to debate. He came up against India which had Kapil Dev very much at the end of his career and Kumble just starting, Sri Lanka at the time were pretty ordinary, Australia had Warne but were missing McDermott for most of the 1993 series which left them with Tim May, Paul Reiffel, Fleming and Merv; solid Test bowlers but far from greats, the WI which had Curtly and Courtney with the Benjamins for support and sometimes Ian Bishop so they were strong, the Saffies had Donald, Pollock, MacMillan, De Villiers, etc. so were relatively strong when not playing Australia (:p).
Disagree that India and Australia weren't particularly strong (and he only played 2 innings against Sri Lanka which make little difference to the record). Kumble was excellent in that series regardless of whether it was his first (bar a one-off Test in England the previous time the two teams met), Kapil was still a pretty decent bowler right to the end of his career; and Reiffel, Fleming and Hughes were all good Test bowlers who could easily have had longer careers but for injury.

The only genuinely weak attack he played a series against in that time, I maintain, was New Zealand in 1994. All the rest were considerably stronger than most of the attacks Langer's faced in his career.
I think you'll find Langer hit tons against almost as good attacks over a longer period of time so to say he wouldn't be capable of what Hick did is really unfair on him. Langer prospered against teams like Pakistan when Wasim, Akhtar and Saqlain were bowling well, averaged 43 in the 2005 Ashes series and was the only batsman in the Aussie line-up who consistently looked up to the fight (it makes me cringe to think how Hick would have done but that's conjecture).
I did consider the Pakistan attack of 1999/2000 TBH, and maybe that does deserve to be placed alongside the others. I've seen little of it and all I really remember is him getting that double-century where he received possibly the most outrageous let-off ever (not that it was an abnormally poor decision, but because the Umpire was blatantly trying to even-up an earlier mistake), and I also recall Waqar and Mushtaq being very poor.

Langer was never a player I rated particularly highly, and while he wasn't totally useless against good seam-bowling, a great many have been better, IMO. Same thing true of Damien Martyn.
Hick had a very good run of form, yes, but it's a lot easier to score runs when you're in form, isn't it? When he was anything short of that, he was total mess and his career average reflects that. Hick clearly was a more naturally talented player and was better against spin than Langer but Langer was a far superior player overall.
But you still do Hick a disservice. 29 Tests over 3 years cannot be put down solely to being "in-form". That'd be the stuff of 7 Tests over 6 months.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
langer is so ahead of hick that any comparison(peak or consistency or overall or whatever) becomes an utter joke...
No, it doesn't matter how far ahead a player is in one respect - comparisons can be offered if they're fair ones.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately this is fairly typical of the StatsGuru generation who think they know it all.
(48.33% of his career if he hadn't played in matches he shouldn't have FFS). Although Hick had a short period where he had a decent Test average, he made few really big scores, rarely dominated the bowling and often looked very uncomfortable at the crease during many innings when he made runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet he made runs. It doesn't matter how uncomfortable he looked or how few massive scores he made, or least of all how dominant he wasn't. He scored plenty of runs, runs most batsmen going around would not have been capable of.

And really, I know what I know here regardless of StatsGuruness. Not that the thing can't teach you a hell of a lot, obviously.