• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go for 50 Tendulkar

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The doubters who are making these silly remarks like you are Deja Moo will be silenced for good. I have made my points earlier. Tendulkar does not require to prove he is a great player and will continue being great after whatever he has done in the past decade and a half. I wont speak more on the topic.

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The doubters who are making these silly remarks like you are Deja Moo will be silenced for good. I have made my points earlier and wont speak more on the topic.
Your points were pretty weak, which is why this thread is still alive.

If Sachin is being questioned now, it is not without reason. If Sachin performs well in the future, I will be the happiest. If you are satisfied with his performances this year, then good for you.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If Sachin is being questioned now, it is not without reason. If Sachin performs well in the future, I will be the happiest. If you are satisfied with his performances this year, then good for you.
One out of 15 years and that too ot without reason. And I never mentioned I am satisfied or disatisfied with his performances.

Deja moo said:
Your points were pretty weak, which is why this thread is still alive.
Wrong assumption. The arguements being made now can be weak as well. I cant and nor expect to shut up silly critics of Tendulkar.

It was just my reply to the critics. I you dont feel satisfied with it its your opinion.

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
One out of 15 years and that too ot without reason. .
Isnt the criticism directed at him WRT the last 1-2 years? Why have you assumed that people are questioning his entire career? Isnt the debate about his last 1-2 years and his future?

There is no denying that he will end his career with a wonderful average. But if this is the way he intends to achieve that end, by making 200+ on batting wickets, but failing more often than not when it matters bagainst quality opposition, it could end up diluting his achievements of the past 14 years.
Iam not saying that is the way things will pan out. I certainly hope not. But his performances in 2003-04 seem to suggest so.

Pratyush said:
Wrong assumption. The arguements being made now can be weak as well. I cant and nor expect to shut up silly critics of Tendulkar.
Wrong assumption ? I wasnt assuming anything. I was stating that I found your points weak.

Anyone who disagree with your assertions must be brushed aside as silly, isnt it ?
You obviously are not willing to look beyond the prism of hero-worhip. I give up.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
Isnt the criticism directed at him WRT the last 1-2 years? Why have you assumed that people are questioning his entire career? Isnt the debate about his last 1-2 years and his future?

There is no denying that he will end his career with a wonderful average. But if this is the way he intends to achieve that end, by making 200+ on batting wickets, but failing more often than not when it matters bagainst quality opposition, it could end up diluting his achievements of the past 14 years.
Iam not saying that is the way things will pan out. I certainly hope not. But his performances in 2003-04 seem to suggest so.

Wrong assumption ? I wasnt assuming anything. I was stating that I found your points weak.

Anyone who disagree with your assertions must be brushed aside as silly, isnt it ?
You obviously are not willing to look beyond the prism of hero-worhip. I give up.
Assmuption that this thread is carrying on cos my points are weak and not yours. okay as you say the arguement is about how he will be in the future. Now why do you base it on just the last 1 year or so, a period when he has had some injuries and not on what he has proved over the years?

I would not brush aside any one who would bring up sum valid points.People were questioning Lara a few years back. He did come up with tose performances in Sri Lanka. I am not doing hero worship but class is class. And at 31 you dont just forget how to bat.

And now you seem to be blaming Tendulkar on the oppositions he makes runs against. Forget Bangladesh but what is WRONG in making runs vs Australia or Pakistan albeit a weaker bowling attack?

If any player with class has an inconsitent period , it DOES NOT mean he is past his best. Specially when he is showing he can score the runs. This is the first inconsistent phase in his career and he is getting mauled for nothing.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
What is silly about pointing things like that out?
Questioning greatness and saying he is past his best is indeed silly. I am putting the names of those who believe he is past his best in my signature. I will wait till these very people including you accept he wasnt past his best.
It will indeed look silly once he proves the doubters wrong.

The list so far :

Deja Moo
Marc

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Assmuption that this thread is carrying on cos my points are weak and not yours. okay as you say the arguement is about how he will be in the future. Now why do you base it on just the last 1 year or so, a period when he has had some injuries and not on what he has proved over the years?
And the bad back, the toe, the elbow are all going to get better with time ? Some of those injuries are going to remain with him for the rest of his career. It is highly likey that he will always be hampered in his batting.

Pratyush said:
I would not brush aside any one who would bring up sum valid points.People were questioning Lara a few years back. He did come up with tose performances in Sri Lanka. I am not doing hero worship but class is class. And at 31 you dont just forget how to bat.
So people were wrong in questioning Laras commitment to the game ? Lara himself has admitted that he wasnt playing well in that period and hence needed the break.

Pratyush said:
And now you seem to be blaming Tendulkar on the oppositions he makes runs against. Forget Bangladesh but what is WRONG in making runs vs Australia or Pakistan albeit a weaker bowling attack?
The fact that he made runs on the flattest tracks available on those tours. Did he make those runs in Brisbane or Melbourne ? Did he make those runs when a proper pacers track was provided in the second test in Pakistan ?
There is nothing wrong in making runs when the opportunity presents itself. But a great player should be able to make them when most needed.

Pratyush said:
If any player with class has an inconsitent period , it DOES NOT mean he is past his best. Specially when he is showing he can score the runs. This is the first inconsistent phase in his career and he is getting mauled for nothing.
First of all, this phase = 2 years. stretching it a bit, dont you think ?

Secondly, Viv Richards was a pale shadow of his self towards the end of his career..What do you say that was? A phase or the coming of the end for him ?

Deja moo

International Captain
And just so you dont pounce on me, I repeat this from a previous post,

myself said:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dude this is exactly the reason I put it in my signature. You mentioned you believe he hs lost it in the chat with me right. I certainly dont think so and will wait till he proves the doubters wrong.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
I would appreciate it if you responded to the post without the rhetoric .
I am not bound to make you appreciate every thing about me.
I am not bound to make you appreciate every thing about me.

(the rhetoric)

Deja moo

International Captain
That is certainly not the impression I get from your posts and MSN chats with you. Quite contrary.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
Questioning greatness and saying he is past his best is indeed silly. I am putting the names of those who believe he is past his best in my signature. I will wait till these very people including you accept he wasnt past his best.

The list so far :

Deja Moo
Marc
LOL! That's pretty funny :p I'm very interested to see how this turns out ;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I was pointing out why Lara could be considered the bigger innings player (especially considering that a fair number of SRTs knocks have been recent, but Lara had a fair few early in his career)
if you say that lara's highest scores are much higher than sachin's you might have a point.....what difference does it make that one scored the biggies early in his career while the other has started more recently...?? especially considering that both are still playing, it just means that both are big innings players...doesn't say anything about one being better at it than the other....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
I am putting the names of those who believe he is past his best in my signature. I will wait till these very people including you accept he wasnt past his best.

Well bully for you - but seeing as all I've done is dispute that his best is yet to come, I don't see how that is the same as saying he's past his best.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anil said:
if you say that lara's highest scores are much higher than sachin's you might have a point.....what difference does it make that one scored the biggies early in his career while the other has started more recently...??
The difference it makes is that for the majority of their careers Lara has had many more high scores - and thus the impressions of the first 10 years make more of an impact than 1 year does.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
it may be impossible to guage whether Tendulkar is past his best anyway, the bowlers are arguably much inferior and the pitches much flatter than early in his career.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The difference it makes is that for the majority of their careers Lara has had many more high scores - and thus the impressions of the first 10 years make more of an impact than 1 year does.
not true...look at how the 150+ scores have been spread out over their career for both...

tendulkar

165 - - - 1 w 2nd test v eng in ind 1992/93 at chennai
179 - - - 1 d 2nd test v wi in ind 1994/95 at nagpur
177 - - - 1 d 3rd test v eng in eng 1996 at nottingham
169 - - - 2 * l 2nd test v sa in sa 1996/97 at cape town
155* - - - 3 w 1st test v aus in ind 1997/98 at chennai
177 - - - 1 l 3rd test v aus in ind 1997/98 at bangalore
217 - - - 1 * d 3rd test v nz in ind 1999/00 at ahmedabad
201* - - - 1 d 2nd test v zim in ind 2000/01 at nagpur
155 - - - 1 l 1st test v sa in sa 2001/02 at bloemfontein
176 - - - 2 w 1st test v zim in ind 2001/02 at nagpur
193 - - - 1 w 3rd test v eng in eng 2002 at leeds
176 - - - 3 d 3rd test v wi in ind 2002/03 at kolkata
241* - - - 1 d 4th test v aus in aus 2003/04 at sydney
194* - - - 1 w 1st test v pak in pak 2003/04 at multan
248* - - - 2 w 1st test v bd in bd 2004/05 at dhaka

lara

277 - - - 2 d 3rd test v aus in aus 1992/93 at sydney
167 - - - 2 w 2nd test v eng in wi 1993/94 at georgetown
375 - - - 1 d 5th test v eng in wi 1993/94 at st john's
152 - - - 2 d 5th test v eng in eng 1995 at nottingham
179 - - - 2 d 6th test v eng in eng 1995 at the oval
213 - - - 2 * w 2nd test v aus in wi 1998/99 at kingston
153* - - - 4 * w 3rd test v aus in wi 1998/99 at bridgetown
182 - - - 1 l 3rd test v aus in aus 2000/01 at adelaide
178 - - - 1 l 1st test v sl in sl 2001/02 at galle
221 - - - 1 l 3rd test v sl in sl 2001/02 at colombo (ssc)
209 - - - 2 * d 1st test v sl in wi 2003 at gros islet
191 - - - 1 * w 2nd test v zim in zim 2003/04 at bulawayo
202 - - - 2 * l 1st test v sa in sa 2003/04 at johannesburg
400* - - - 1 * d 4th test v eng in wi 2003/04 at st john's