• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glamorgan drop merger hint

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
From the BBC Sport website:-

Glamorgan coach John Derrick says financial pressures could force the Welsh county to consider a cross-border merger.

Record losses last year and funding cutbacks from the England and Wales Cricket Board have forced membership prices to nearly double and contributed to the decision to stick with just one overseas player.

With rumours of more financial cuts in the domestic game, Derrick said Glamorgan could look for a link-up with a side from the west country.

"There could be an argument for us blending with Gloucester, Somerset or Worcester," Derrick told BBC Radio Wales' Midweek Sport programme.

"It's similar to what's going on in Welsh rugby - we need to get together quality squads for international cricket."

Do we need to re-fortify Offa's Dyke?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
No way....

Not a chance this will happen as long as Peter Anderson breathes and is in his office. Many people have a pop at him (I have on several occasions) but he is vociferous in his opposition to such rubbish as a South West team being formed. I wish Glamorgan all the best but hope their chiefs stop peddling such proposals around as I am bitterly opposed to it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well I wouldnt mind if!!!

We got Steve James, Maynard, Croft and Wallace...For next season maybe! and the home ground was taunton, that would do very nicely thank you...

But this aint gonna happen :(