• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giles versus Tufnell - Who was better?

Giles v Tufnell... who was better?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tuffers. I always felt he was a danger as a potential matchwinner, even if he rarely did it.

I never felt threatened by Giles, honest trier though he was.
Presumably "feeling threatened" relates purely to matches against Australia, though - and Tufnell played on a raging turner once against Australia, Giles never did.

Had he done, I feel he was pretty well as capable of wreaking the havoc Tufnell did at The Oval in 1997.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is there any way you can be bannedd from threads involving England? You're like an unintentional BLE.
Haha, a bit harsh TBH. sst always strikes me as simply an Aussie who enjoys bagging us, SW\BLE is just a complete idiot who likes little but stirring **** whenever possible (and not just involving England).

Anyway, I love showing him he doesn't have a clue what he's on. :p Same with social.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, social is okay, and holds his hands up when wrong (see his most recent comments re Vaughan). SSt is just a nuisance who shows up in all the England threads giving us ****.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haven't seen his most recent comments on Vaughan TBH, but have never seen him hold his hands up. (Yeah, I know, I don't often either, but that's 'cos I'm not often wrong :p)

Haven't read the tour thread for about 2 weeks, sadly. May reappear when the ODIs start, but also may not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've not been in it much at all anyway tbh. I'll find that social post, though, and quote it in here. He didn't say much about Vaughan, but enough.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A few thoughts

a. first game this summer that Eng havent had the conditions go their way and they've been comprehensively stuffed

b. Eng's back up bowlers (let's face it, aside from Panesar, it's second string) by and large have shocking actions - Tremlett = 5 * dross plus one spectacular and it's all down to faulty technique

c. India are 1-0 up with Dravid, apart from a couple of glorious shots, looking completely out of form

d. Tendy's game has deteriorated markedly - struggles to avoid anything short and his dismissal today was completely embarassing for a guy of his record

e. Prior is no better than a stopper and wont last long as his batting is simply not that good

f. A few players are being exposed as minnow bashers

g. Take my hat off to Vaughan - guy has stood up and has shown his class

All in all, a riveting series because both sides have weaknesses but exciting players as well
There ya go!! :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, sst went up in my estimation quite a bit with this post, if one can laugh at oneself and admit one's hometown bias, it's quite endearing, to myself. I admit I thought he was a bit of a tool before then, but, well, as I say - not got too much of a problem with him these days, and I do enjoy proving guys like that wrong when they jump in too soon. ;)

Rodgie, for instance, on the other hand, patently just said anti-England stuff because he enjoyed bagging England and knew he'd wind (lots of) people up doing it. And it was never possible to prove Rodgie wrong because he just went off at a tangent every time it looked likely to happen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
See to me, knowing you're biased isn't paramount to knowing you're being a ****. I mean, I'm biased, Pitt's biased, Turb's biased but I'd like to think none of us are offensive. SST has actually offended me at times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
0rite? Have, as I say, always thought of sst as a Aseem(Turb)-like character since that post. You and Pitt (if we see him again :() aren't really biased IMO (though I am told that you once suggested Hoggard and Flintoff would be rested for the last 2 Ashes Tests as we'd already wrapped-up the series, though I presumed that was in jest), just fairly keen fans of your team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
0rite? Have, as I say, always thought of sst as a Aseem(Turb)-like character since that post. You and Pitt (if we see him again :() aren't really biased IMO (though I am told that you once suggested Hoggard and Flintoff would be rested for the last 2 Ashes Tests as we'd already wrapped-up the series, though I presumed that was in jest), just fairly keen fans of your team.
TBH I'm pretty sure I was only talking about Flintoff. I'll see if i can dig it :laugh:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Tuffers. He won tests in England and NZ (especially before we forced him to bowl defensively to compensate for the crap seam bowling of the day) whereas Giles' matchwinning performances were mainly in Pakistan and against the crap 2004 Windies team. But if they both started their careers at the same time under D Fletcher, we know who would get picked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tuffers. He won tests in England and NZ (especially before we forced him to bowl defensively to compensate for the crap seam bowling of the day) whereas Giles' matchwinning performances were mainly in Pakistan and against the crap 2004 Windies team. But if they both started their careers at the same time under D Fletcher, we know who would get picked.
Have always thought Tufnell's bowling defensively had more to do with his own fragile mental state (and the way he was played) than the Ilotts, Benjamins, etc.

sideshowtim

Banned
See to me, knowing you're biased isn't paramount to knowing you're being a ****. I mean, I'm biased, Pitt's biased, Turb's biased but I'd like to think none of us are offensive. SST has actually offended me at times.
Sorry mate, that's not my intention. Just having a bit of fun. The Aussie-Pom rivalry is one of my favourites, and I remember how horrible it was when you had the Ashes. So I'm just giving back what I got during that time ;)