• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist V Ganguly

Ganguly or Gilchrist

• Total voters

pup11

International Coach
Gilly can destroy any attack in world cricket and single handedly win a game for his team (he is an all-rounder who gives flexibility and balance to his team).

Ganguly has always had his problems on fast and bouncy tracks, but Gilly virtually can make runs on any surface against good bowling. Ganguly has always been troubled by short-pitched stuff but Gilly on the other hand is probably one of the best players of short-pitch bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the same can be said of Ganguly and spin... :wallbash:

Seriously, there's almost a direct inverse relationship there - Gilchrist is every bit as poor against quality spin (and yet has still scored some runs against it) as Ganguly is good, and Ganguly is every bit as ungainly-looking against the high-bouncing ball as Gilchrist is comfortable. Thing is, Gilchrist actually gets out to spin far more than Ganguly gets out to short balls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
can you name a couple of innings by gilchrist in ODI's ???

in ODI opening batsmen are rarely under pressure as far as i am considered
its only when chaseing big targets rite
And on that note Ganguly has at least one massively significant performance here.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Didn't read anything in here but as a proud Ganguly supporter, i can't turn my back on him now :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ganguly as a batsman over Gilly anyday. Its not like Gilchrist is completely comfortable against the inswinging fullish delivery either, you know... AA had him more than once that way and it would have been more had we had better umpires.

No, I didn't say this as an AAAS member. ;) :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well even Liam Plunkett managed it once so I think we can safely rule-out any suspicions of bias there...

Nishant

International 12th Man
Clean bowled by Plunkett twice in three games is embarassing.
shows that in terms of present form....ganguly>gilly....but even overall, ganguly is a better batsman!

this might not be what the thread is all abt....but which player is more vital to their team?

im not too sure abt this one....but i cant help to think that gilchrist is more vital, but taking into account india's present situation, ganguly is definitely part of the scheme of things!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Clean bowled by Plunkett twice in three games is embarassing.
Well TBF at least the two deliveries were an example of "crap bowlers do occasionally produce decent balls" rather than "good batsmen do sometimes get out to rubbish balls from rubbish bowlers".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The first one was a jaffer, best ball of the series IMO.

The second was a mix between Gilly losing concentration due to the rain break, and playing his horrible across the line shot he often plays when a bowler goes around the wicket to him and he's looking to score quickly. It wasn't that good a ball, fair enough it angled in but you play that straight Gilly come on, its the first ball after the break.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And amazingly enough, the exact same thing happened to the word in the Champions Trophy... except that Saj was the bowler then...

Though for mine, both balls swung in nicely.

pup11

International Coach
Both identical dismissals took place after a short interval if i am not wrong, so Gilly needs to work on his concentration in that area.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One was first ball of the innings. If you're not concentrating first ball of the innings, there's an issue.

C_C

International Captain
One was first ball of the innings. If you're not concentrating first ball of the innings, there's an issue.
Bleh, i dunno about that. I've never seen anyone doubt Gavaskar's ability to concentrate and bat like a man who cares each and every time he is out there. But i think Gavaskar's been out to the first ball of an innings more often than anyone else.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but was he dismissed 'not concentrating' or just dismissed on the first ball.

Mind you, I don't even think Gilly was dismissed in that game by 'not concentrating'. He just received a peach of a delivery. My point was, you can't say Gilly's concentration was down, hence why he was bowled.

pup11

International Coach
Gilly's concentration on the first ball is not the issues, i was talking about his dismissals straight away after an interruption(happened once in C-T and in the 2nd finals of the CB series basically to the same ball playing the same shot).

He loses his wicket after a drinks breaks a lot of times, and that too playing a reckless shot which he shouldn't do rather he should try to stay out in the middle and the runs would come easily for him.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Gilly's concentration on the first ball is not the issues, i was talking about his dismissals straight away after an interruption(happened once in C-T and in the 2nd finals of the CB series basically to the same ball playing the same shot).

He loses his wicket after a drinks breaks a lot of times, and that too playing a reckless shot which he shouldn't do rather he should try to stay out in the middle and the runs would come easily for him.

Gilchrist is a professional......excuses like "oh the rain interrupted my concentration" are just not good enough at this level.

pup11

International Coach
Mark Waugh also said recently that Gilly is throwing away his wicket way to often, he doesn't need to manufacture shots if he just plays his normal cricket shots he can score at a really good strike-rate.

He should try to settle down rather than go Bang.. Bang.. from the very first ball, if he does that he can easily score a century of 80 odd balls because he is that good a player.