• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers v Imran Khan,Test Cricket:Poll

Who was the better Test cricketer: Imran or Sobers?

• Total voters

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Quite ironically, this is actually a really good interview and he talks about the ball tampering issue here in detail. But you probably didn't watch this video. Its worth watching.
you can clearly come across Sadiq Mohammed speaking against Imran Khan in this video , not supporting him ....

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Did you also notice Geoffrey boycott's points against him?
of course .... but that doesn't take away any thing from the fact that more than 25 people are seen accusing Imran of committing an unfair tactic.
Geoffrey was only generally speaking w.r.t this topic

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm not getting involved in this argument, but your statements don't sit well with me.

The argument used to be, nah he didn't, but after there was indisputable evidence he did, the argument shifted to, it's ok, everyone else did it as well and now you're taking it to the extra step of, we should "give him credit"

And this has nothing to do with Imran, but rather the apologists. Most objective observers have long factored in these issues and moved on. And no, it doesn't need to be harped on.
I never denied that Imran tampered with the ball because he himself admitted it. I was always against the hypocrisy of singling him out when it was common practice among the cricketers of the time.

smash84

The Tiger King
of course .... but that doesn't take away any thing from the fact that more than 25 people are seen accusing Imran of committing an unfair tactic.
Geoffrey was only generally speaking w.r.t this topic
So you didn't really watch it.

I suggest you watch it and then come back.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
I never denied that Imran tampered with the ball because he himself admitted it. I was always against the hypocrisy of singling him out when it was common practice among the cricketers of the time.
Imran gets singled out because of the 'extends to which' he went w.r.t this act and also because of the frequency with which he did it. You won't get any other player's name 'getting specifically singled out' directly or indirectly by 25 or more contemporaries other than that of Imran Khan.

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran gets singled out because of the 'extends to which' he went w.r.t this act and also because of the frequency with which he did it. You won't get any other player's name 'getting specifically singled out' directly or indirectly by 25 or more contemporaries other than that of Imran Khan.
He is singled out because a) he admitted it and b) using it with reverse swing made him a new and unbeatable phenomenon at the time, because benefitting from the old ball was something different.

Are we really going to pretend lifting the seam wasn't done in virtually every game across the Anglosphere? Is that more acceptable because it was gentleman cheating?

Let us get off our high horses.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
might be Hadlee too ... I meant , such cases are exceptions rather than normal . BTW didn't Hadlee ask to make tampering legal ?....
Any way , not going there because that has nothing to do with current subject. This is Imran - Sobers subject with Kapil added into the mix.
Now when every case is pointed out, it becomes exceptional. Your argument fell apart with Hadlee’s example. There are other reasons that these bowlers became great with extraordinary peaks. Not because of conspiracy theories only. Too bad Kapil could not elevate himself to their level.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Nobody ever argued that he never tampered with the ball. Not sure where you are cooking up the stories from. Heck, he's on record saying that he did.
Just for the record, thele comment that I said went too far was when Subz said that if anything he should be given credit or something along those lines. Nah...

I don't like touching this topic because it gets us nowhere and I still rank Imran extremely highly, just as high or higher than many on the forum. I also know that it's an emotional subject for many, and that leads to volatile responses and conversations.

While reading through some of these and older posts I started to think about Barry Bonds. Well before the sudden "change" he was a HOFer and among the best ever, also steroids aren't a magic pill that makes you a good player far less a great one. I could take them and all I would do is ground out harder, if I managed to hit the ball at all. I also believe that he should be in the HOF.

I did watch the video and I have a lot of observations with regards to same.

I don't think I appreciated how the interviewer operated, but I think at the end I see what he was trying to accomplish.
I think the umpire was extremely disingenuous, but that's neither here nor there and again I guess I understand why.

I don't like the equivalency argument, even more than that, I hated the argument that at the other end was a really good bowler and they couldn't get the ball to do what I did. Imran is without doubt one of the 10 greatest fast bowlers of all time, skill level even higher than that, that isn't the point.
Saying yeah we carved up that ball, but only I could make it work doesn't absolve from carving up the ball.

I hate this, "everyone was doing it argument" , in a much older post it was suggested that Lillee and Snow lifted the seam repeatedly, Lillee got away with lots of ****, that's not surprising, but what I've read here seemed to exceed just doing that. Pushing the boundaries has always been part of cricket, Grace refused to walk, bowlers used hair grease and sun screen instead of just sweat, batsmen would hit the leather of the ball and not walk (yes I consider this as well), but some things go beyond. And for the record, if someone shows any kind of proof of us doing the same to that extent, even MM, I would criticize him the same.

Lastly, and the most touchy of subjects, was there a racial component? This is nothing that we are not accustomed to, there was a reason we wanted to play England so much when we were doing well, why the immigrant community over there came out in numbers to support us. The on-field heckling from certain countries, the comments from Greig, Gavaskar feeling confident calling our supporters what he did, etc etc. I can understand that, hell there are (a miniscule amount of) posters on here that are subtly (or subconsciously) racially biased, but from the comments and articles posted on the previous page, most of the dissenting comments were made by former teammates or Pakistani players in general. Now I know Imran was divisive and some of those may have been rivals with an ax to grind and I'll leave that up to you to clear up, or it may also be political, I don't know.

Coming back to Bonds though, there was an argument made that if everyone was doing it, were you even trying if you weren't. I'm not sure if I bought that, but if you felt that you were falling behind because of it, I could understand it.

Do I think Imran was an ATG without it? Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have him as highly as I do, do I think that tampering made him even better, possibly. How much? I nor anyone else can say with any certainty and makes no sense harboring on it.

With regards to the primary question of the thread, do I think he's better than Sir Garry? No. But that's because of how I see the game, yes bowlers are slightly more impactful, but Sobers for me was the perfect player. A top 4 batsman of all time who was equally brilliant at the most impactful and difficult of fielding positions, who also happened to be the most versatile and effective 5th bowler in history who actually won matches with the ball. That's hard to beat.

subshakerz

International Coach
Do I think Imran was an ATG without it? Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have him as highly as I do, do I think that tampering made him even better, possibly. How much? I nor anyone else can say with any certainty and makes no sense harboring on it.

With regards to the primary question of the thread, do I think he's better than Sir Garry? No. But that's because of how I see the game, yes bowlers are slightly more impactful, but Sobers for me was the perfect player. A top 4 batsman of all time who was equally brilliant at the most impactful and difficult of fielding positions, who also happened to be the most versatile and effective 5th bowler in history who actually won matches with the ball. That's hard to beat.
This is the real point. He tampered, others tampered, we don't know how much anyone did, so let it go and we should stop this silly downplaying of his record.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the real point. He tampered, others tampered, we don't know how much anyone did, so let it go and we should stop this silly downplaying of his record.
So obviously you skipped the rest of the post for the one line that you agree with.

His name was being called well before he admitted to it, so why was his name called more than others.

And my last point and I'm done with you on this topic as well. Just because I said who knows, doesn't mean it didn't imoact, after all I assume there was a reason he did it and more importantly taught it. But most importantly, instead of this bull**** everyone did it excuse, how about yeah that possibly wasn't the best way to build and pass on a legacy, but zero accountability. It's just, everyone did it, let's ignore it then.
And the race thing that you keep bringing up (Anglo-Saxon and "gentlemen"), again I'm from the Caribbean, I get it. But the vast majority of dissentors previously referenced were from Pakistan, so stop hiding behind that.

You seriously lack any kind of objectivity

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
And my last point and I'm done with you on this topic as well. Just because I said who knows, doesn't mean it didn't imoact, after all I assume there was a reason he did it and more importantly taught it. But most importantly, instead of this bull**** everyone did it excuse, how about yeah that possibly wasn't the best way to build and pass on a legacy, but zero accountability. It's just, everyone did it, let's ignore it then.
And the race thing that you keep bringing up (Anglo-Saxon and "gentlemen"), again I'm from the Caribbean, I get it. But the vast majority of dissentors previously referenced were from Pakistan, so stop hiding behind that.
It is funny you bring accountability when literally all of the majority of tamperers of that era got away with it without any public criticism, unlike Imran.

Until you denounce majority of that era, the Imran critique rings hollows.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Now when every case is pointed out, it becomes exceptional. Your argument fell apart with Hadlee’s example. There are other reasons that these bowlers became great with extraordinary peaks. Not because of conspiracy theories only. Too bad Kapil could not elevate himself to their level.
Which other cases other than Hadlee? As I said already Hadlee is a not a saint either ... Otherwise he wouldn't have asked for tampering to be made legal .Again , apart from his own statement I have not seen any body accusing Hadlee of ball tampering . But this is not the case with Imran.
When more than 25 people accuse some one of any 'particular quilt' , their has to be lots of credibility in that assusation.

subshakerz

International Coach
Which other cases other than Hadlee? As I said already Hadlee is a not a saint either ... Otherwise he wouldn't have asked for tampering to be made legal .Again , apart from his own statement I have not seen any body accusing Hadlee of ball tampering . But this is not the case with Imran.
When more than 25 people accuse some one of any 'particular quilt' , their has to be lots of credibility in that assusation.
What accusation? He admitted it himself in 1992. He even defined what he considered to be acceptable tampering vs outright cheating.