• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Furball's Greatest XI

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I agree that Prior is a big chance at 7 and I'm thinking a number 3 like an Amla or maybe Fleming, I dunno, someone a little controversial.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kumar Sangakkara

The number 3 slot in this side took a bit of time to figure out. It could easily have gone to Rahul Dravid, were it not for the lack of openers worthy of a spot. Ricky Ponting was another strong candidate. However, it is Kumar Sangakkara who’ll have the honour of walking out at first drop in my side. Like virtually all left handers, Sangakkara is an elegant bastard when he bats. And he’s scored a hell of a lot of runs for us cricket lovers to drool over in his career. His 192 at Hobart, cut short when he was sawn off by Rudi Kirtzen, was exquisite, one of the finest I’ve seen. Not only has he scored runs all around the world against everyone, but like the bloke at number 4, he loves going big when he scores runs. Pakistan in particular have suffered at the hands of his bat over the years.

However, Sangakkara’s value to my team is not just as a batsman. He also happens to be an excellent wicketkeeper – his work to stump Brian Lara off the bowling of Chaminda Vaas in the 2007 World Cup is something that’s always stuck in my mind when it comes to good pieces of wicketkeeping. He doesn’t get the gloves in Test cricket for Sri Lanka, but I’ve always been impressed by his work in pyjamas for Sri Lanka. And having kept to Muralitharan for the best part of a decade, I’ve no qualms with him keeping to Shane Warne. Plus, as wicketkeeper he’ll also take up the role of Head Sledger. And in my opinion, no-one does it better than Sangakkara. He has a rapier sharp wit behind the stumps, and his sledging of Shaun Pollock in the 2003 World Cup is, and probably will be for a while, my favourite piece of sledging I’ve seen on TV.

Two birds killed with one stone. Number 3 batsman and wicketkeeper. I don’t think there’s many in the history of the game better equipped to do it than Sangakkara.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Furball's Greatest XI

1. AJ Strauss *
2. R Dravid
3. KC Sangakkara +
4. BC Lara
5. KP Pietersen
6. VVS Laxman
9. SK Warne
10. JM Anderson
11. GD McGrath

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, I was thinking that might happen.
Ponting was close. As the dominant batsman in the greatest team there's ever been and his iron will to win there's a ****load to admire about him. Ponting's biggest weakness is, despite his pull shot, I've never particularly enjoyed watching him bat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ponting was close. As the dominant batsman in the greatest team there's ever been and his iron will to win there's a ****load to admire about him. Ponting's biggest weakness is, despite his pull shot, I've never particularly enjoyed watching him bat.
Yeah I thought you'd go Sanga just to kill two birds with one stone and allow for the balance you've got going there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I thought you'd go Sanga just to kill two birds with one stone and allow for the balance you've got going there.
Sangakkara would have been number 3 regardless of whether I was giving him the gloves.

edit: well, actually, Dravid would have been number 3 if he wasn't opening. But you know what I mean.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sangakkara would have been number 3 regardless of whether I was giving him the gloves.

edit: well, actually, Dravid would have been number 3 if he wasn't opening. But you know what I mean.

You can still have Lara at 3 and KP at 4 and Laxman at 5 and Sanga at 6.. If Warney is batting 9, then 7 and 8 should be good enough to give Sangakkara very good company and Anderson is not the worst either.. Think the line up would be more balanced that way. Juz my thoughts, I know its your side :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You can still have Lara at 3 and KP at 4 and Laxman at 5 and Sanga at 6.. If Warney is batting 9, then 7 and 8 should be good enough to give Sangakkara very good company and Anderson is not the worst either.. Think the line up would be more balanced that way. Juz my thoughts, I know its your side :)
Nah, you misunderstand. Sangakkara would only have missed out at the expense of Cook or Sehwag.