• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula One discussion thread...

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
15th or not,the achievement I guess for Narain is tht he finished his debut F1 race which is good enough reason to smile for me...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Karthikeyan beat:
1) Patrick Friesacher - who was driving a Minardi that handles like an HGV and accelerates like a golf cart
2) Tiago Monteiro - who is another utterly talentless disgrace of a pay-driver who has no right to be in Formula One

The only way Karthikeyan will impress me is when he outperforms someone who isn't driving a Minardi or Jordan.

Jordan's driver pairing is entirely based on who could offer them the biggest wadges of cash - they are building for 2006 and there was no point in their offering a drive to anyone with genuine talent - it would be a waste of their budget and a dismal season for the driver.

Last edited:

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Karthikeyan beat:
1) Patrick Friesacher - who was driving a Minardi that handles like an HGV and accelerates like a golf cart
2) Tiago Monteiro - who is another utterly talentless disgrace of a pay-driver who has no right to be in Formula One

The only way Karthikeyan will impress me is when he outperforms someone who isn't driving a Minardi or Jordan.

Jordan's driver pairing is entirely based on who could offer them the biggest wadges of cash - they are building for 2006 and there was no point in their offering a drive to anyone with genuine talent - it would be a waste of their budget and a dismal season for the driver.
He will impress you...not that anyone cares abt tht :p but he will

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
I wont guess or make any comments as of now...
You have absolutely no idea what it takes for an Indian to get into F1...what Narain went thru,one can only imagine...He's 28 now,for so many years he tried and didn't give up on his dreams,that deserves respect and he will gain it thru his skills in the time to come...mark my words

Just dont get any hints from my signature though...I know that will never happen...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Narain missed out at the start after starting at 12th but the way he developed a 53 second lead over his teammate after he trailing Tiago before his first pitstop was creditable

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He has no right to be in formula one because his place in the Jordan team is entirely dependent on the funding he brings with him.

Trevor Carlin said:
Jordan sporting director Trevor Carlin told BBC Sport that the team were in talks with Karthikeyan and that a deal was "not finalised, but is very close".

The team have offered the 28-year-old the drive, but he must firm up a sponsorship package before the deal could be completed, Carlin said.

We're a year ahead of schedule. We're using this year as a learning year and building for 2006, so we don't want to use up next year's budget this year
(See BBC News Online)

Now, I was under the impression that if you were any good, you wouldn't have to pay for the drive, but the team would be paying for you to do the driving. For further examples, see Shinji Nakano - who was part of Prost's deal to get Honda engines, Gaston Mazzacané, Jean-Denis Délétraz, Taki Inoue, Zsolt Baumgartner... The fact that Monteiro is slower than Karthikeyan also suggests he's not fit for Formula One.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
nikhil1772 said:
I wont guess or make any comments as of now...
You have absolutely no idea what it takes for an Indian to get into F1...what Narain went thru,one can only imagine...He's 28 now,for so many years he tried and didn't give up on his dreams,that deserves respect and he will gain it thru his skills in the time to come...mark my words

Just dont get any hints from my signature though...I know that will never happen...
His nationality is beside the point. He doesn't have the talent to merit a place whilst drivers like Anthony Davidson miss out.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
nikhil1772 said:
Who are you to decide that he doesn't have the talent?
Aside from the fact that he had to pay to get the drive, I was kind of under the impression that anyone with the requisite talent to drive in F1 might have won the occasional category in the junior formulas, instead of messing around in the middle order with other second-rate drivers.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Aside from the fact that he had to pay to get the drive, I was kind of under the impression that anyone with the requisite talent to drive in F1 might have won the occasional category in the junior formulas, instead of messing around in the middle order with other second-rate drivers.
So that convinces of you that he has no talent? Pity.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
Karthikyan's past record :-

http://www.narainracing.com/know_narain.html

He has come froma country where people have not been driving in F1 for years.

Its like a player from Oman trying to make the Australian cricket team.

Take that into perspective while evaluating Karthikeyan.
It has absolutely nothing to with him being Indian.

The fact that he was not fast enough to compete with Luciano Burti, Thomas Scheckter, Marc Hynes, Kristian Kolby and Matthew Davies in Formula 3 - given that none of those five are really any good (anyone know what's happened to half of them?) - suggests to me that he's not fast enough to merit a place in F1, given that to merit a place in F1 you should be one of the top 20 track drivers in the world.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
It has absolutely nothing to with him being Indian.

The fact that he was not fast enough to compete with Luciano Burti, Thomas Scheckter, Marc Hynes, Kristian Kolby and Matthew Davies in Formula 3 - given that none of those five are really any good (anyone know what's happened to half of them?) - suggests to me that he's not fast enough to merit a place in F1, given that to merit a place in F1 you should be one of the top 20 track drivers in the world.
Who said he is better or worse than the drivers you mentioned? It doesn't have any relevance to the fact that you said Narain has no talent...He has got the opportunity,he'll try to make it worth it.

I rest my case.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
to my knowledge Neil has never said he doesn't have any talent, he's said he doesn't have enough talent to justify being in formula one, given that there are an abundance of more talented drivers who are not in formula one.

twctopcat

International Regular
There are plenty of drivers better than Karthikeyan, that is an obvious fact, he is very ragged and at the age of 28 you say he should matured by now and learnt how to keep a track on the race track.