• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fleming Rips into Richardson

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Voltman said:
Did you see Sport 365 or not?
Can't say I have :) did they show the after math of the incident where they both laughed and shook hands? If not I don't believe its a hoax :D

8-)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
They showed Fleming walking towards the tunnel, and Richardson soon following - both laughing and Fleming joking about it with someone else who didn't appear to know it was going to happen.

Key points I noticed was that Richardson's suit jacket was wet in the same spots (around the shoulders) from the rain as in the infamous video, and I've had it confirmed that Fleming was wearing the same gear as he was in that video, so my deep-seated doubts will have to be dredged from their well-rooted hole.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Look it wasn't a re-take... It was a completely separate piece of footage from an entirely different camera angle.

If you believe it's a cover-up then ask yourself this -- when was it filmed? Shooting outside presents lighting issues -- yesterday it rained, today it was fine. Hard to maintain continuity even in an editing suite.

Ure Kismet Khan

Cricket Spectator
It all becomes clear now. I can see how it is despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary sheeple buy into 'Iraq has WMD' meme. People want to believe anything that those nice talking heads on TV tell them.

Go back and take a look at the fool Fleming's lips as he tells us it was a joke. His mouth is so dry (from nervousness, a sure sign of the porky) that they catch on his teeth.

Why would the journos go along with it?

Lemme see?

Um, how about just about no-one goes to watch and see what particularly stupid way that the kiwi side is going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory anymore. That they couldn't even manage that simple task today was because they came up against the curse of Brian Lara's ego. not because they weren't trying as hard as normal to shoot themselves in the foot. The Windies will recover once he's finally gone but that's by the by.

The thing is; there are a lot of aging has beens missing out on the annual flights to the scene of their long forgotten futile stands now, much more of this and not even the fanboys that want to believe that someday NZ will come up with a credible cricket team, will stop paying attention the aging 'legends' will have to find real jobs.

No easy task, believe me. I've been sucked into giving some of these types jobs over the years and in the main they aren't what you'd call productive. They'll drink your grog and try and bonk yer missus but they wouldn't work in an iron lung!

So in the interests of 'cricket the gravy train' it must have been decided that the whole thing should be hushed up. As silly an idea as most of Flemings are. A mistake, I believe, as it has been the only vaguely interesting thing to come out of this debacle of a 'tour'.

Still these guys have always done things by the numbers instead of going for the 'big one'. All the conventional by the book, PR wisdom would tell them that it should be 'hushed up'.

I mean obviously Fleming had to try and put it to bed since he comes off as an even bigger ******** than he did in the commercials he made with the Punter. And believe me that is saying something.

This cover up has every chance of blowing back. Last thing I heard Richardson hadn't exactly fallen over himself to back Fleming up so if this turns into a failed 'cover-up' Flemming will be a well deserved goner.

Who knows maybe that will be the final straw. It may wrest control of NZ cricket out of the hands of the Christchurch psuedo Poms and over to more typically representative kiwi blokes.

That would be an important start in getting in people who actually love the game and can play it, involved in NZ cricket.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
If you watch the original video there's a second camera which stays fixed on Fleming.
That's right.

My favourite part (aside from "Hey, you're an idiot") was "some of your comments" with the hand gesture.

"Two things" is my new favourite expression. My friend and I came up with some rules for it. The first thing is a direct insult. The second thing must end in "from what I've seen so far your ______ is crap."

This thing's gonna get some mileage.

Swervy

International Captain
ohtani's jacket said:
That's right.

My favourite part (aside from "Hey, you're an idiot") was "some of your comments" with the hand gesture.

"Two things" is my new favourite expression. My friend and I came up with some rules for it. The first thing is a direct insult. The second thing must end in "from what I've seen so far your ______ is crap."

:laugh:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
ohtani's jacket said:
That's right.

Haha brilliant. I'm going to do that from now on as well.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Two things :1. 're-take'. These people arnt you and me just walking up to the camera and talking away - almost all cricketers have basic coaching about how to assume posture, face the camera, 'get into position' etc. from doing just basic adverts. I've seen a Flemmo commercial before - this is akin to Tom Cruise putting in a Morgan Freeman-esque performance.

2. Graphic rendition. The human eye can pick up something like 15 frames/sec so just re-assuming posture and graphic rendition takes care of a few frames difference.

There is no way of being 100% sure ( and i dont care anyways. this is so trivial either which way) but to me that looked like a sincere outburst.
I've been around enough to know what is 'faking and what is real' unless it is an absolute George Lucas-esque first-time actor.
Just chalk it up as another conspiracy theory ;)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Wow, if this really is a hoax, as a lot of people are now saying, I was sure fooled by the original.

However, I didn't manage to catch the Sport365 article last night. Has anyone managed to make a copy available for download? It seems weird to me that although a lot of people on here are loadly shouting "I told you so", there's no download.

Anyone?

C_C

International Captain
Voltman said:
They showed Fleming walking towards the tunnel, and Richardson soon following - both laughing and Fleming joking about it with someone else who didn't appear to know it was going to happen.

Key points I noticed was that Richardson's suit jacket was wet in the same spots (around the shoulders) from the rain as in the infamous video, and I've had it confirmed that Fleming was wearing the same gear as he was in that video, so my deep-seated doubts will have to be dredged from their well-rooted hole.

Umm...this is even simpler to do than 'continuing a scene' as it is a new scene.....You could have a fistfight, walk back to the hutch and have your boss tell you 'that was dumb. Go downstairs, patch up and let the camera film you two walking together in the tunnel as merry men or else yer fired' and shoot a 1 minute clip of merry men..................this isnt even as challenging as 'continue the scene'...

Loony BoB

International Captain
C_C said:
Umm...this is even simpler to do than 'continuing a scene' as it is a new scene.....You could have a fistfight, walk back to the hutch and have your boss tell you 'that was dumb. Go downstairs, patch up and let the camera film you two walking together in the tunnel as merry men or else yer fired' and shoot a 1 minute clip of merry men..................this isnt even as challenging as 'continue the scene'...
:lol:

Must be one of those people that don't believe man ever set foot on the moon.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Timescale, C_C.

They didn't know at the time that there was going to be anything 'slipping out' 0 that came some time later, I believe. The 'cleanup in aisle three' would have therefore involved making sure that it was raining the next day or moving the sun somewhere else.

That might be feasible for your CIA pals or the film set of Capricorn One, but not in a cricket match.

Basin Brat

Cricket Spectator
*giggles at the conspiracy theorists*

Every time I watch it Mark looks more upset... I want to take him home and hug him.

Ill have to make sure I watch the cricket company this week!

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Sorry conspiricy theorists out there, I think it is an act as well. Some of those reactions from Richardson seem a little forced, so much so, that I think that he is not believing in his given circumstance. Add to this the slight wavering in Fleming's voice, which is from a lack of proper vocal training. Also I think Richardson was using the Method style of acting, while Fleming, was maybe going for a more natural kind of approach.