• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flem hits form - But what will be his future

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I wouldn't be surprised if Fleming picks up his bat and ball and $1 milllion dollars and leaves the NZC Board with egg well and truly on their faces. Who would blame him?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if Fleming picks up his bat and ball and $1 milllion dollars and leaves the NZC Board with egg well and truly on their faces. Who would blame him?
NZC. He'll be made to look like the bad guy somehow.

Swervy

International Captain
TBH, my philosophy has always been "have the last word or don't bother starting anything". I believe I'm right, so I see no reason to back down. The only reason I'm not continuing to argue this is that the boss and Gelman have asked me not to.
ner ner...I have had the last word:p ...I win :D

(quick lock the thread) ;)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Vettori named test cricket captain
12/09/2007 14:28:03 - Newstalk ZB

Daniel Vettori is officially New Zealand's new test cricket captain.

Vettori is currently leading the Black Caps in their Twenty20 World Cup campaign in South Africa and will take the reins of both the one day and test teams at the end of the tournament.

The news is not totally unexpected with former captain Stephen Fleming widely tipped to step down for the last two months.

Fleming has also announced today that he is retiring from the one day form of the game, but will continue to be available for test matches. He says he holds Vettori in high regard and will support him fully in his transition to captain.

Fleming captained New Zealand in 80 test matches over ten years and led the side to 28 wins and 25 draws.

Any comments?

Perm

Absolutely disgraceful decision to hand over the Test reigns to Vettori, and one can only suspect that Fleming jumped before he was pushed. He's the best captain we've ever had and one of our best ever batsman, the way NZC are treating him is nothing short of disgusting. I can almost guarantee that he was forced to hand over the Test captaincy and retire from ODI's, I'm not very confident of him playing many more Test's for New Zealnad either.

Vettori has done nothing to suggest he'll be a good captain, apart from being a moderate performer in the few ODI's where Fleming hasn't been present. Heck, the guy could be a complete failure and he is expected to lead our Test team. **** you New Zealand Cricket, **** you.

Perm

Today there is news of Gilchrist being the next considering joining ICL !!

Here
Can't see where you get that from, all Gilchrist and Tait said was that the ICL is good for the game. Gilchrist himself denied any negotiations being made witht the ICL on his behalf.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Vettori has done nothing to suggest he'll be a good captain,
Aye. It would have been better for him to be captain of the ODI team for a season to see if he was any good at making fielding changes under pressure, etc. As it is now, no one really has any idea how good he will actually be.

And won't it be strange having Fleming in the test team but not captain? Maybe Bracewell wanted him out altogether, which is making me feel that Bracewell is actually the devil incarnate :ph34r:

I'm just sad because I grew up in the era when Flem was captain, and Cairns and Astle were our best players. That era is at an end. :cry:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hasn't he had good success at domestic level?

I mean I understand the problem people are having here but questioning the next choice is ridiculous, Vettori has been vice captain for a long time and how many captains have had their hands held so tightly before they took their sides reigns, its hardly a shock. The whole way it came about was just ugly.

Perm

Aye. It would have been better for him to be captain of the ODI team for a season to see if he was any good at making fielding changes under pressure, etc. As it is now, no one really has any idea how good he will actually be.

And won't it be strange having Fleming in the test team but not captain? Maybe Bracewell wanted him out altogether, which is making me feel that Bracewell is actually the devil incarnate :ph34r:

I'm just sad because I grew up in the era when Flem was captain, and Cairns and Astle were our best players. That era is at an end. :cry:
Exactly, I mean there has been lots of talk about him as the natural successor to Fleming but has he ever really merited that tag? Other than being a long-term fixture in both formats of the game but still quite young.

TBH I don't even think Fleming will make the Test team, although I hope that's not the route we're going to go down. I know he wouldn't be a disruptive influence in the dressing room like some other former captains who have been dumped, but I don't think Bracewell will select him.

Perm

Hasn't he had good success at domestic level?

I mean I understand the problem people are having here but questioning the next choice is ridiculous, Vettori has been vice captain for a long time and how many captains have had their hands held so tightly before they took their sides reigns, its hardly a shock. The whole way it came about was just ugly.
He's hardly played domestic cricket for Northern Districts over the last two seasons, playing only 3 games. It's not a shock that Vettori has been named captain, it was always going to happen, I just don't think it should've.