• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First unread post issue

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
I rarely use either Safari or IE or Chrome. Just testing now with alternate browsers.

Safari v5.1.7
Either goes to first post or last post so last unread definitely not working.

Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16635
As with Safari, either the first post or the last post but nor first unread.

Chrome v28.0.1500.72
Goes to first thread before I enter a thread. Then goes to first unread in last 30 days - James, this is because of your forum default setting. You might change your default to "Show All"

Firefox 22.0
Same as Chrome

Last edited:

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
More to check:

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> General Settings

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type = Database (automatic forum marking)
Database Read Marking Limit = ?? what value do you have here?

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> Cookies and HTTP Header Options

Force Latest IE Mode (Force IE browsers to render in their latest version.) = YES

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> Friendly URLs

URL Type = Standard URLs if vBSEO is enabled
Standard URL Routing Variable = r

Suggestion:

AdminCP >> Maintenance >> Execute SQL Query >> Automatic Query >> All Forums >> Show All Threads

James

Cricket Web Owner
More to check:

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> General Settings

Database Read Marking Limit = ?? what value do you have here?
This value is set to 10.

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> Cookies and HTTP Header Options

Force Latest IE Mode (Force IE browsers to render in their latest version.) = YES
I've set this.

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> Friendly URLs

URL Type = Standard URLs if vBSEO is enabled
Standard URL Routing Variable = r
Yes, these are the values here.

Suggestion:

AdminCP >> Maintenance >> Execute SQL Query >> Automatic Query >> All Forums >> Show All Threads
What does this do out of interest?

James

Cricket Web Owner
James, at AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> Email Settings, set as follows:

Use Mailqueue System = No
Use Cron Based Sending = No
Number of Emails to Send Per Batch = Start with 300 and work up if that's problematic
E-Mail Send Delay = 0

SMTP Email = No
Thanks ,that must have been it. I've changed the settings accordingly.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Chrome v28.0.1500.72
Goes to first thread before I enter a thread. Then goes to first unread in last 30 days - James, this is because of your forum default setting. You might change your default to "Show All"
Thanks, will look at changing this.

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
This value is set to 10.
OK. Mine is set to 7 but 10 is probably better.

What does this do out of interest?
You are currently defaulting to 30 days. For new members or members who are returning after a period of time away, this means threads older than 30 days won't be visible. I think (not 100% sure) this also applies to unlogged in visitors which would include search engine spiders like Googlebot.

I don't know why anyone would want to hide content from either spiders or human visitors.

What running that query will do it set the default for all forums to "all threads" meaning no cutoff of 30 days or any other time limit. I always set forums to "all threads".

James

Cricket Web Owner
OK. Mine is set to 7 but 10 is probably better.

You are currently defaulting to 30 days. For new members or members who are returning after a period of time away, this means threads older than 30 days won't be visible. I think (not 100% sure) this also applies to unlogged in visitors which would include search engine spiders like Googlebot.

I don't know why anyone would want to hide content from either spiders or human visitors.

What running that query will do it set the default for all forums to "all threads" meaning no cutoff of 30 days or any other time limit. I always set forums to "all threads".
Fair enough, cheers. Thanks, will change this when I get home from work this evening :) I'll post again when the change is made.

Are you thinking this will some how fix the unread post issue?

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner

This is done, thanks for the advice.

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
Are you thinking this will some how fix the unread post issue?
I don't know but I don't think so. I'm still a little baffled, to be truthful.

Given that you are clearly having this problem and that with a similar setup I am not, I am assuming:

1. it is related to a setting somewhere that is different here; or

2. it is related to a plugin you have and I don't, or one that I have and you don't; or

3. it is a problem with your custom theme.

I'll continue to investigate this as I get time.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Just FYI, I'm still having problems with unread posts. I use IE and clicking on the "Go to first unread post" button sometimes takes me to the page of the first unread post, but not to the post itself. At other times, it seems to work just fine. Strange.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don't know but I don't think so. I'm still a little baffled, to be truthful.

Given that you are clearly having this problem and that with a similar setup I am not, I am assuming:

1. it is related to a setting somewhere that is different here; or

2. it is related to a plugin you have and I don't, or one that I have and you don't; or

3. it is a problem with your custom theme.

I'll continue to investigate this as I get time.
Thanks.

I think it must be something to do with 1 and 2 then, because it breaks even with the default theme.

I'm using the following plugins, ibProArcade for vBulletin, Multiple Login Detector, Signatures once per thread page and of course vBSEO

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
I'm using IE 8
Thanks. So we know it's an issue with IE8 and IE10 which makes it probable that IE9 is also affected.

Thanks.

I think it must be something to do with 1 and 2 then, because it breaks even with the default theme.
Unless it's something in your header like an unclosed tag...

I'm using the following plugins, ibProArcade for vBulletin, Multiple Login Detector, Signatures once per thread page and of course vBSEO
I had to drop the arcade program a few years back because it seemed to conflict with several vB features. To be honest, I also found it was mainly used by people who didn't contribute to the forum threads so I'm not sure it was really a loss.

Going to send you a PM, James.

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
Oh crap... you have PMs disabled.

OK. You have my email address from the AdminCP profile. Can you email me?

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
Add No-Cache HTTP Headers
Selecting yes will cause vBulletin to add no-cache HTTP headers. These are very effective, so adding them may cause server load to increase due to an increase in page requests.

Set this to "No"

Remove Redirection Message Pages
Enabling this option will remove the update pages that are displayed after a user makes a post, starts a search, etc. These pages provide assurance to the user that their information has been processed by the forum. Disabling these pages will save you bandwidth and may lessen the load of the forum on your server.

Set this to "No"

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remove Redirection Message Pages
Enabling this option will remove the update pages that are displayed after a user makes a post, starts a search, etc. These pages provide assurance to the user that their information has been processed by the forum. Disabling these pages will save you bandwidth and may lessen the load of the forum on your server.

Set this to "No"
This is annoying. I'm getting a Message Page everytime I click on "New Posts" and it makes using New Posts take twice as long (loads the Message Page before loading New Posts). I assume it's changing this setting which has created this annoying new screen.