• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finger spinner success and allowing chucking

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't have to throw to be a good bowler, of any variety. Also, if finger-spin bowling (or even spin bowling altogether) were to hypothetically go extinct, then I say let it burn.
Funny, I’ve thought the same thing about pace bowling since McGrath retired.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, it doesn't matter. Whichever works should continue. That said, I don't think either spin, ( or even pace :laugh: ) is going anywhere. Just the roles are different depending on conditions and availability of quality bowlers.

slowfinger

International Debutant
apart from SLA spinners, which test match spinners have been able to take wickets at <30 in the last 10 years?

I have much respect for how Lyon has carved out his career and made himself an asset to Australia in the last 10 years, but unless we want to produce more of him, then I'd allow for flexibility in the arm...

Do we want more Roston Chase, Dom Bess, Joe Root type bowlers really ...

Obviously I am a finger spinning offspinner and know how useless I am on most good wickets.

Sunil1z

International Regular
apart from SLA spinners, which test match spinners have been able to take wickets at <30 in the last 10 years?

I have much respect for how Lyon has carved out his career and made himself an asset to Australia in the last 10 years, but unless we want to produce more of him, then I'd allow for flexibility in the arm...

Obviously I am a finger spinning offspinner and know how useless I am on most good wickets.
Ashwin and probably Lyon .

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant

Ashwin is better than any left arm spinner in last 10 years

Ali TT

International Debutant
Being realistic, England and South Africa only periodically produce test class spinners, and Vettori aside, New Zealand and the West Indies never do (in the modern era). That South Africa have 2 and England 1, potentially 2, spinners of passable test quality is way above the mean. I guess that's balanced slightly by Pakistan and Sri Lanka having a bit of a lull in their spin bowling production line.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Ashwin is better than any left arm spinner in last 10 years
his action is a bit unique to be classed as an orthodox spinner though isn't it. if anything it's closer to narine. and his arsenal includes carromballs and arm balls which no current spinner really keeps in their armory. the last real 'mystery' spinner.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
his action is a bit unique to be classed as an orthodox spinner though isn't it. if anything it's closer to narine. and his arsenal includes carromballs and arm balls which no current spinner really keeps in their armory. the last real 'mystery' spinner.
Carrom ball is pretty common in Sri Lanka and Herath had it as well. And I think Ashwin's action couldn't be farther from Narine's. There was a crapinfo front page article the one time he did try and bowl like Narine in an ODI. :laugh:

slowfinger

International Debutant
Carrom ball is pretty common in Sri Lanka and Herath had it as well. And I think Ashwin's action couldn't be farther from Narine's. There was a crapinfo front page article the one time he did try and bowl like Narine in an ODI. :laugh:
they are both carrom ball bowlers!!! ashwin isn't a classical offspinner in any sense

slowfinger

International Debutant
so you're all seriously, seriously suggesting that Ashwin is a traditional offspinner and that traditional offspin is booming in Test and domestic formats?

call me deluded then !!!