• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
people absolutely seething at umpires applying the rules that every bloke out there is aware of.

people asking for rules to be reviewed in light of it all.

feels good
You ended up on the right side of the rules so obviously they seem alright to you and saying otherwise is salt. Forgivable when you're on an emotional high I suppose.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ definitely let slip a few big chances regardless of some really bad luck. Boult stepping on the rope was just a brainfade. Looked like he had no idea where the rope was. Pretty poor stuff.

Its the smallest possible margins but NZ didn't really hold their composure in a couple of huge moments which would've sealed it.

Burner

International Regular
Confused as to how it's anything like the same but okay.
When Dhoni was out, they required 25 off 10 and he was at 50 off 72 at SR of 69. When Stokes picked Boult and at the boundary and the ball carried for six, England required 22 off 9. He was at 63 off 90.

Keep in mind that Dhoni started batting at 90/6.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
You ended up on the right side of the rules so obviously they seem alright to you and saying otherwise is salt. Forgivable when you're on an emotional high I suppose.
says the bloke ****ting on a nations first ever world cup success

that moral high ground is covered in ice fella

hazsa19

International Regular
Personally, I thought Kane should have batted in the super over. I mean what has Guptill done this tournament, aside from one good run out?

That said, I think Boult would be the one feeling most depressed right now.
Was it for his running? He was rapid with those 2s.

cpr

International Coach
I think we can all agree cricket is **** at trophy presentations. Absolutely no anticipation or build-up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Laws of Cricket and ICC WC Playing Conditions were circulated to all teams before the WC. England won fair and square.

It's fair enough to complain if you feel the Laws or PCs need changing/improvement, but when it comes right after you've lost a WC final due to said Law/PC, it's naturally going to come off as sour grapes. Like all the Pakistani fans moaning about NRR earlier this tournament.
We all know that it takes these sort of moments to actually get **** rules changed though. When Trevor Chappell bowled the underarm we didn't sit around saying "well you all knew underarm was legal before the game...."; we decided it was stupid and used the momentum created by the emotional backlash to change it. We can do the same thing here to change both NRR and the boundaries rule if we're smart about it (we aren't :( ).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Absolutely amazing.

Commiserations to all the good Kiwi lads on this site (which is nearly all of you), nobody wants to lose a game like that.

91Jmay

International Coach
Oh come on lol pretending there was any thought given to this rule by anybody

this is like a 0.00001% occurrence and nobody factors it into team strategy
Small margins in top level sport. There is no difference between boundaries hit and wickets lost. Unless people think it should just be a shared trophy which i can get behind but then neither team would really have won anything.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
And you can probably blame Trent Boult as much as the rules. To see him step on the rope taking that catch was so unusual, as he’s consistently shown great judgement in that kind of situation before. But pressure.
That was insane. It cost us the World Cup. What actually was he thinking? He knew he was close as he was looking back. Just get rid of the ****ing ball. A major brain meltdown.

Dissector

International Debutant
England obviously had some luck today especially those extra four runs. However:
1) They had the bad luck to lose tosses in both knockout games (and NZ won both of theirs).
2) They finished higher than NZ in the group stage
3) They beat NZ in their group match
4) They were much more dominant in their semi-final compared to NZ.
5) They have been the top ODI side of recent years.

Overall I think they deserve the Cup.