• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hard to tell if you're being obtuse or just generally dim most of the time. Williamson averages 91, a stat you deliberately omitted. A low strike rate is fine if your average is high enough.
Way to miss the point you thick ****. Learn to read. Never said Williamson wasn't great. Only highlighted the absurdity of strike rate and average, like other ODIn stats. Sorry about triggering your small country syndrome though.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Just can't see England being beaten. They have weaknesses but they managed to overcome them in the nick of time and their last three matches have been exceptional - all against the three other best sides in the comp.

NZ played extremely smart in their semi in not trying to overextend themselves when batting and using their strengths and nous to defend it, but would be a check of an effort to pull this off.
This is pure conjecture on my part I admit, but I believe NZ have a better chance of pulling this off against a team that is riding on the crest of emotion and adrenaline, such as England will be (and India did too until they went belly up to...NZ!). Australia in the final would have savaged the Kiwis, because of history partly but also because they wouldn't have had as much noise about them. Eng may very well do the same but there is also that possibility of the occasion scrambling their brains and letting NZ into the game.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I think there were enough signs with India they were vulnerable in the semi. They were brilliant in their batting effort against Oz and I thought they were clear favourites but were patchy from that time on and NZ just had the smarts to exploit those issues.

England aren't flawless but it's going to take a beck of an effort to exploit them, especially if Woakes and Archer bowl as well as they did in the semi.

hazsa19

International Regular
I think we’re rightfully big favourites. The bowling, which was seen as a weakness is arguably a strength right now and at least as good if not better than the NZ attack on current form. The batting too is clearly stronger in depth and more powerful.

Having said all that, I’m fully prepared for us to completely blow it.

Flem274*

123/5
Way to miss the point you thick ****. Learn to read. Never said Williamson wasn't great. Only highlighted the absurdity of strike rate and average, like other ODIn stats. Sorry about triggering your small country syndrome though.
lol pakistan (and india). first net run rate and the world cup fixtures are all a conspiracy, now the subcontinents two chummiest nations have finally found something they agree on - finding excuses for nz being better than them.

sparks odi stats theory is richard-esque and i've never seen him post a full justification for it. smarter guy than i, good poster, terrible idea. no surprises the subcontinent is seizing it like a life raft on the titanic.

Flem274*

123/5
hopefully england do what they do every time they approach an important game against nz in every sport - convince themselves they're wonderful before they're reminded of natural order

we've already dispatched the best odi side in the world and england were nice enough to get rid of the one team we have a mental block against. england have a pretty damn good team but we've got this.

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
hopefully england do what they do every time they approach an important game against nz in every sport - convince themselves they're wonderful before they're reminded of natural order
Ah, the old 'English are arrogant' trope. Never gets old.

trundler

lol pakistan (and india). first net run rate and the world cup fixtures are all a conspiracy, now the subcontinents two chummiest nations have finally found something they agree on - finding excuses for nz being better than them.

sparks odi stats theory is richard-esque and i've never seen him post a full justification for it. smarter guy than i, good poster, terrible idea. no surprises the subcontinent is seizing it like a life raft on the titanic.
I mean, my starting premise was that Dhoni was completely ****, as opposed to what his stats suggest so you're barking up the wrong tree.

BeeGee

International Captain
I mean, my starting premise was that Dhoni was completely ****, as opposed to what his stats suggest so you're barking up the wrong tree.
Yeah, but your premise is wrong, he hasn't been completely ****, and cherry picking stats in isolation from other players to try to prove your point is weak.

Last edited:

trundler

Yeah, but your premise is wrong, he hasn't been completely ****, and cherry picking stats in isolation from other players to try to prove your point is weak.
Ah, so you've decided to be completely wrong now

trundler

Remember that time when Hussey was averaging 100 with a high score of 78? Yeah, average isn't really that much more useful.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He was still the best keeper we had around which coupled with his overall standing meant he was always going to be selected. We wouldn't have made the semis if Pant was keeping, that's for sure.

cnerd123

likes this
Unecessary display of rudeness by trundler against a couple of quality posters here.

I expect GIMH and Sledger to be around here soon to pull him into line