• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Failure of the series

Biggest flop

• Warner

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Harris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bancroft

• Roy

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Bairstow

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Buttler

• Paine

• Ali?

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This needed to mirror the other poll that doesn’t include Smith. I’ve never seen anything like it for someone with such a good record. Maybe having 5 Tests in 7 weeks just didn’t give him time to get out of the rut.
Besides Warner it would be trickier. Roy maybe just squeezes the trophy just because he played more and failed more.

Jack1

International Debutant
Warner. But only because he came into the series with such a strong record. If we ignore past performance entirely then it gets more complicated.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australian selectors are definitely in with a shout.

Tim Paine on DRS is certainly up there, though general umpiring standards probably edges him.

Openers not named Burns all making a solid showing, but that just points us back to the Australian selectors again doesn't it?

Siddle the worst bowler of either side, not counting Overton.

91Jmay

International Coach
Australian selectors are definitely in with a shout.

Tim Paine on DRS is certainly up there, though general umpiring standards probably edges him.

Openers not named Burns all making a solid showing, but that just points us back to the Australian selectors again doesn't it?

Siddle the worst bowler of either side, not counting Overton.
England not picking Archer first game pretty incredible decision. Imagine having him on that first day at Edgbaston?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England not picking Archer first game pretty incredible decision. Imagine having him on that first day at Edgbaston?
Not picking a Rookie over bowlers averaging 22 with the ball in England isn't a blunder IMO.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not picking a Rookie over bowlers averaging 22 with the ball in England isn't a blunder IMO.
It honestly depends how "unlucky" they actually were with Anderson injury. If there was some doubt and they just rolled the dice then they deserve stick, fact it is the same injury he had previously is slightly suspicious.

Stapel

International Regular
Warner had a good series in the field. He held on to some good catches. I don't suppose there is an easy & objective way to quantify fielding performances, but a dropped catch costs about 40 runs on average. DW had 8 catches, whereas Roy had just one. Not sure how many chances they have spilled, but for me the fielding makes the difference.

I'll send the trophee for failure of the series to Jason Roy.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Warner obviously but Harris not far behind. Showed some promise last summer but was a total washout here; dumb dismissals like clean bowled to Leach through the gate at Headingley and totally worked over by Archer in 1st innings final Test. Very poor in the field as well and is several rungs back in the pecking order.

Bairstow from England's side. Keep hearing and reading from Eng cricket media how good he is but all I see is an aggressive but technically flawed batsman with a modest record.

Moeen was the failure of 17/18; mentally shot against Oz and Lyon and prob shouldn't have been picked for Edgbaston.

Bolo

State Captain
Smith. I thought he'd had a pretty decent series, but CW has done such a good job of convincing me that only 4th innings hundreds count that I have reconsidered.

Lancashire Nick

Cricket Spectator
Coming into the Ashes series, I predicted that the Aussies would win 3-1. This was based on their superior seam attack in terms of depth, and my fear that Smith and Warner would score a ridiculous number of runs.

Warner's struggles were a very pleasant surprise for me, and arguably a big reason for the series being drawn.