• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2004 - pick your starting sides

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
And he considers Hernan Crespo, Jaun Sebastian Veron, and El-Hadji Diouf, Rivaldo as some of football's grestest ever players, yet somebody like John Charles, who was one of Wales greatest ever player didnt get named.

That's because of the constraints placed on him, but don't worry about the facts.

Waughney

International Debutant
Craig said:
France (4-4-2)

Barthez

Thuram - Gallas - Mexes - Silvestre

Dacourt - Veira - Zidane - Pires

Henry - Trezequet
What about Wiltord?? Is he injured or something :huh: otherwise I think he should be in there.

Craig

World Traveller
Waughney said:
What about Wiltord?? Is he injured or something :huh: otherwise I think he should be in there.
He is the squad IIRC, he would be on the bench for me.

I'm glad they picked Louis Saha.

PY

International Coach
As much as I don't like Rooney, I think he will probably start with Owen. I would like to see Vassell start a couple though because he has looked sharp when he has come on in international games.

PY's England XI

James

Neville Terry Campbell Bridge

Gerrard
Beckham Lampard
Scholes

Owen Rooney

Never used to like Lampard as a player but this year he has come into his own as a complete player of international quality.

Craig

World Traveller
Despite being one of the leading goal scorers this year?

He's been in far more form then Owen, Rooney, Vassell and Heskey (in the goal scoring department) and the ycant all be tap in's. Or you dont like every player who runs around in a red Vodafone shirt?

Craig

World Traveller
PY said:
As much as I don't like Rooney, I think he will probably start with Owen. I would like to see Vassell start a couple though because he has looked sharp when he has come on in international games.

PY's England XI

James

Neville Terry Campbell Bridge

Gerrard
Beckham Lampard
Scholes

Owen Rooney

Never used to like Lampard as a player but this year he has come into his own as a complete player of international quality.
And if Rio was suspended you guys would have four very good defenders in Rio, Terry, Campbell and Bridge.

And Gareth Southgate and Jonathon Woodgate are certainly not bad defenders.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
And if Rio was suspended you guys would have four very good defenders in Rio, Terry, Campbell and Bridge.

And Gareth Southgate and Jonathon Woodgate are certainly not bad defenders.

It's all well going on about ifs, but only 2 centre backs play, and those other 3 are unavailable, so we have to hope that Sol and John stay fit - also, you think Bridge is good, but not Ashley Cole?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Despite being one of the leading goal scorers this year?

He's been in far more form then Owen, Rooney, Vassell and Heskey (in the goal scoring department) and the ycant all be tap in's. Or you dont like every player who runs around in a red Vodafone shirt?
It's not all about the goal-scoring and I actually had the same view while he was at Fulham - to select him over the likes of Anelka was crazy.

And to say he's in great goal-scoring form is misleading.

1 goal in 6 games in a team that create that many chances?

Owen has more than that.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It's all well going on about ifs, but only 2 centre backs play, and those other 3 are unavailable, so we have to hope that Sol and John stay fit - also, you think Bridge is good, but not Ashley Cole?
Ashley Cole is good, and at times he has to remember he is a defender, but the question is, would he be a certainty for England if he didnt play for Arsenal?

It's easier to look very good at a very good side.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It's not all about the goal-scoring and I actually had the same view while he was at Fulham - to select him over the likes of Anelka was crazy.
I think he burnt to many bridges with Jacques Santani, that's probably why. Even though he has made up with him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Ashley Cole is good, and at times he has to remember he is a defender, but the question is, would he be a certainty for England if he didnt play for Arsenal?

It's easier to look very good at a very good side.

But a club like Arsenal wouldn't persist with him (and the club be so successful) for so long if he didn't have talent.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barthez won't be in goal for France.

Also, France have plenty of depth in strikers after Trezeguet and Henry -- saha, Luyindula and Govou are all quality forwards.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
But a club like Arsenal wouldn't persist with him (and the club be so successful) for so long if he didn't have talent.
I never said he never had any talent or wasnt good.

What I'm saying that he can be made to look even better because he plays for a top club and being in a top club helps your chances of being in the England set-up or in any other case.

Heck they had kept Keown (sp) for quite a few years and when was the last time he did anything?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Heck they had kept Keown (sp) for quite a few years and when was the last time he did anything?

You obviously haven't seen him playing - up to this season he's been fairly regular and a manager like Wenger wouldn't keep him if he weren't up to it...