• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Molehill

International Captain
Good question. Can't be too many higher you'd think?
I'd been pondering this myself and having had a bit of a google........I've found absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, already called off in Leicester. So that's 2 draws for Sussex where they were in the dominant position.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I'd been pondering this myself and having had a bit of a google........I've found absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, already called off in Leicester. So that's 2 draws for Sussex where they were in the dominant position.
@AndrewB - you know every cricket stat there has ever been.

Do you know the answer to this? :)
Saw this person retweeted by Martin Emmerson yesterday. There have been higher instances in English cricket anyway.

@Starfighter as well since you asked the question

chris.hinton

International Captain
Looks like there will be a few enforced draws due to the weather today.

Shame for Worcs as looks like they might suffer from that @chris.hinton

Somerset might get away with a draw by the looks of it. Durham too even though less likely of a defeat than Somerset.
Yep its gutting as we are favourites, It's stopped raining but the outfield is a bit flooded which is a bummer

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey need 209 in 20 overs. 15 ticked off in first over.
It won't be easy with all 9 fielders apart from the keeper on the boundary. Anyway, credit Lewis Gregory for playing so well to put his side in this position. Interesting to see the different approaches of the two bowlers; Pretorius backing himself to bowl normally, whereas Overton is bowling as wide of the stumps as possible without being called. But I'd be surprised if conditions remain playable for long enough to allow a result.

EDIT - That was a bit harsh on Overton, who is varying his pace really well now.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Smith connecting nicely. Wonder how far he is off an England call.
Ah, you jinxed him mate.

In answer to your question, purely as a batsman I think he needs to go on with it rather more often than he currently manages. Not so much this innings of course, due to the situation, but generally. As a keeper/batsman, sometimes people forget that he doesn't actually do that for Surrey most of the time.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Impressive from Aldridge. Rather less so from Burns, who couldn't get anything on the first three deliveries that he faced, then holed out.

5 down now. Somerset could win this, you know.
Nope, they're shaking hands.

Last edited:

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
I love county cricket, even when there is not really a logical reason for me so to do. Today I went to my first live cricket of the season. A cold wind was blowing, the bowling was large innocuous and only two wickets fell all day. Yet I enjoyed it all immensely - the details of the play, the tactics (even when I thought them wrong-headed), the venue, the ambience, the whole all-round experience. I missed it more than I knew over the winter. We focus a lot on the negatives on this thread, and there are reasons for this, however today all was positive for me

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
@AndrewB - you know every cricket stat there has ever been.

Do you know the answer to this? :)
Dunno, but the Test record seems to be 454 by India v WI at Delhi in 1948.
It's the sort of stat that might get into the relevant copy of Wisden - e.g. when Notts lost by an innings after scoring 527 Wisden gave the instances of sides doing this while scoring 400+.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A real shame Essex couldn't squeeze out those last three wickets. Fair play to Denly jr on FC debut and also to Nathan Gilchrist.

I see this is Denly sr's nephew. Still, there can't be too many instances of successive generations of the same family playing in the same FC game. Almost 20 years between the pair in age.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
In the Derbyshire v Warwickshire match in 1922, the Bestwicks (father and son) bowled in tandem to the Quaifes (father and son).

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Dunno but Leicestershire topped it last season by scoring 584 and losing by an innings.
Last season but one, in fact. Quoting Cricinfo: "The Leicestershire total of 584 is the highest in county cricket by a team that subsequently lost by an innings - smashing the previous mark of 527 scored in an innings defeat against Northamptonshire in 1995 - and is thought to be the highest in first-class cricket to suffer that fate anywhere in the world."