• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It would annoy me greatly if Cook’s lack of batting prowess is his limiting factor for international selection. I don’t want the days of Mullally, Tufnell, Giddins for the tail, but I think we should be able to afford someone who can probably average around 10 with the bat if the bowling is going to be superior. Fair to say not many players have averaged below 20 with the ball in the CC on such a consistent basis as Cook has.

Starfighter

It would annoy me greatly if Cook’s lack of batting prowess is his limiting factor for international selection. I don’t want the days of Mullally, Tufnell, Giddins for the tail, but I think we should be able to afford someone who can probably average around 10 with the bat if the bowling is going to be superior. Fair to say not many players have averaged below 20 with the ball in the CC on such a consistent basis as Cook has.
I think it's simply his lack of pace and height. He fits the typecast of bowlers that people think won't transfer their domestic success to international (think Chadd Sayers here, though Cook's faster than him). And this England setup love their typecasting.

He's got a lot of competition from anointed future bowlers like Tongue and Atkinson, although the former has a very suspect fitness record. Potts I think is his biggest competition, he's quite similar in mould but is distinctly faster and just had a tremendous series against India A. All of three got two-year central contacts in October, as did Carse for some mysterious reason. I think that shows there's there's pretty much no room for Cook.

HeathDavisSpeed

I think it's simply his lack of pace and height. He fits the typecast of bowlers that people think won't transfer their domestic success to international (think Chadd Sayers here, though Cook's faster than him). And this England setup love their typecasting.
I agree that seems to be the prevailing thinking going on. I just wonder whether people would prefer the faster but more erratic James Anderson of his youth or the highly consistent but slower Anderson of his later years. It's not as if Cook's bowling medium pace. Some of his wickets are cracking deliveries - and he's getting out England players like Duckett and the like. I just hope this isn't an example of singular focus on only seeing that a particular type of bowler can be successful.

Starfighter

I agree that seems to be the prevailing thinking going on. I just wonder whether people would prefer the faster but more erratic James Anderson of his youth or the highly consistent but slower Anderson of his later years. It's not as if Cook's bowling medium pace. Some of his wickets are cracking deliveries - and he's getting out England players like Duckett and the like. I just hope this isn't an example of singular focus on only seeing that a particular type of bowler can be successful.
Anderson's often been bowling mid 130s recently, if anything he's getting it down quicker now than ten years ago, though I think the large amount of workload management is a factor there. You do ask a good question about how he would be considered if he was young and currently the bowler he is. Potts is certainly in consideration at a similar or slower pace, but he's got a much more upright action.

Above vs below 130 seems to both be a perceptual and real barrier to success in internationals. And Robinson's issues won't enamouring them to other bowlers of similar pace, even though they're entirely self-inflicted.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Looks like Ollie Robinson has been "Managed" by the England authorities, not expected to play v Leicestershire this week.

Those 32 overs in 4 rain affected days must have tired him out.
This guy is far better when bowling constantly, i.e, every week, I really don't understand how people who have NEVER bowled in there life, would know what suits a player, EVERY player is different.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I'm in favour of a change to the format of the English Domestic game

County Championship - Premier Division of 6 (10 matches) - 2 Conferences (North/South) 6 teams. Play each other once plus a bonus derby match (12 Matches) - Start in May

April One Day Competition - Perhaps Strauss was right, But this wouldn't be the only competition and i will have this as 40 overs (Due to the weather in April it will be better to fit these in and start the County Championship later) I would have this localised and only a few matches plus Semis and Final. Perhaps add 2 more teams from somewhere.

T20 - Same as it is

Abolish the "Hundred" (Not going to happen, But i can dream lol)

The one day competition to start in July/August to include Minor Counties and give it a more national feel. 4 groups of 10 teams? with the top 2 able to qualify for the Knockouts

tony p

First Class Debutant

County Championship - Premier Division of 6 (10 matches) - 2 Conferences (North/South) 6 teams. Play each other once plus a bonus derby match (12 Matches) - Start in May

April One Day Competition - Perhaps Strauss was right, But this wouldn't be the only competition and i will have this as 40 overs (Due to the weather in April it will be better to fit these in and start the County Championship later) I would have this localised and only a few matches plus Semis and Final. Perhaps add 2 more teams from somewhere.

T20 - Same as it is

The one day competition to start in July/August to include Minor Counties and give it a more national feel. 4 groups of 10 teams? with the top 2 able to qualify for the Knockouts
So would there be a relegation from the "Premier Division" in your format.?

kevinw

State Vice-Captain

T20 - Same as it is

I'd have 3x6 regional divisions in the CC (10 games each) with the division winners and best runners-up contesting a SF/F.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
I'd have 3x6 regional divisions in the CC (10 games each) with the division winners and best runners-up contesting a SF/F.
This what the vast majority of county cricket fans do not want to happen.

A 3 division conference (sorted randomly, no promotion or relegation) was put forward to the counties a few years back. They voted against it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Just watched the match highlights of Notts vs. Essex and Khushi did hit some wonderful shots in the game. I think most of them were after the "issue" with his bat, but still, some of his timing was impeccable. Along with a couple of more novel/T20 style shots.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Derbyshire after an abandonment last week will be hoping for better weather this week.

"Start to be delayed due to wet run ups, inspection at 11.00am".
Glamorgan v Derbyshire at Cardiff.

Molehill

International Captain
I see that Robinson has once again failed to play consecutive County Matches, any idea where he is this time?

Not sure why Sussex have put Leics in, judged by the first 5 overs, looks pretty flat.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I see that Robinson has once again failed to play consecutive County Matches, any idea where he is this time?

Not sure why Sussex have put Leics in, judged by the first 5 overs, looks pretty flat.
Think England decided to 'workload manage' him smh.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

ECB managing his workload/he's just not a very good athlete.

Durham made a similar scratch the head decision, 34 from 6 so far for Warks.

Look at this boundary too :laugh: :laugh:

Molehill

International Captain
ECB managing his workload/he's just not a very good athlete.

Durham made a similar scratch the head decision, 34 from 6 so far for Warks.

Look at this boundary too :laugh: :laugh:

Managing his workload is just rubbish. The bloke needs as many overs as possible. Funny how he didn't have any issues playing lots of County games before he was in the England set up....

tony p

First Class Debutant
I'm trying to tune into the BBC commentaries on their website, but it says "Find all commentaries in the watch & listen tab".
Where the hell is that tab.
I can't find it.