• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Keeper Dilemma

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Its not a huge problem yet, since Read has come back and done fairly ok, big Read fan and all looking at the way he batted in this tournament i get the feeling he may struggle in Australia and then the problem will come up again.

I won't go back to Jones nor would i throw Davies into the deep end so soon, England need a solid-keeper who one can feel confident with that can score runs a la Gilchrist, Boucher, McCullum, Sangakkara etc, i think Nic Pothas if Read doesn't come good in Australia should be considered even as soon as the World Cup.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
Neither are genuine Test class as a keeper or with the bat.
I beg to differ. Read is a fantastic keeper, who outstrips Gilchrist, Sangakkar and Dhoni as a glovesman, his only problem is batting.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never saw what James Fosters done wrong, TBH.

Hes still only 26, not a terrible test record, then he got injured. Now seems to be forgotten.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
I beg to differ. Read is a fantastic keeper, who outstrips Gilchrist, Sangakkar and Dhoni as a glovesman, his only problem is batting.
I wouldn't call him flawless either, his inability to dive towards first slip has come up on a number of occasions.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Read should stay. If he can't bat, let someone like Giles or Dalrymple or even Mahmood (that's a wild guess) do it, but taking a backward step and bringing Jones back will do more harm than good. The bowling attack needs a superior wicketkeeper. I don't know much about Pothas, except that he was once in the runs in the county season, but can he last more than 50 overs? Or two Test days? We have yet to see.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
grecian said:
Never saw what James Fosters done wrong, TBH.

Hes still only 26, not a terrible test record, then he got injured. Now seems to be forgotten.
ah yes i forgot about him, say him bat in a pro40 game on skysports vs Lancashire and he looked very good, had solid First Class & Limited over season for Essex this year, if he keeps it up he is definately worth a shot again, depending on the performances of Read of course.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Armadillo said:
I wouldn't call him flawless either, his inability to dive towards first slip has come up on a number of occasions.
only during the test vs PAK AFAIK, before he was dropped Read didn't have that problem.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
ah yes i forgot about him, say him bat in a pro40 game on skysports vs Lancashire and he looked very good, had solid First Class & Limited over season for Essex this year, if he keeps it up he is definately worth a shot again, depending on the performances of Read of course.
Foster, it seems, was dropped in 2002 because his wicketkeeping was just ordinary and couldn't contribute much with the bat, and Stewart returned. Then they chose Read, then Jones, but if Foster's been steady behind the wicket or in the runs, that's a good sign.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
From what I've seen, Read is terribly overrated as a glovesman. He might be marginally better than Geraint (though I haven't seen much to back that up really), but he's certainly not good enough to warrant being selected when he's an average batsman. His keeping to spin seems to be fairly unimpressive, and a lot has been made of his unwillingness to go for difficult chances across the slips as well.

I'd say he's better than Dhoni, but that's about it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
only during the test vs PAK AFAIK, before he was dropped Read didn't have that problem.
Most likely due to nerves, seeing as he's really only in the team because his glovework is supposed to be so much superior to Geraint and everyone else's. That means that he'll be thinking that anything he drops could see the end of his international career. A bit of an extreme thought, but it's not hard to see why he'd think it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
From what I've seen, Read is terribly overrated as a glovesman. He might be marginally better than Geraint (though I haven't seen much to back that up really), but he's certainly not good enough to warrant being selected when he's an average batsman.
well i gotta disagree, I've seen a lot of Read and i'd say the hype surrounding his glovework is justified, he is way better than Jones and i'd rate only Healy, Parore & Russell above him as the best pure glovesman i've seen.

FaaipDeOiad said:
His keeping to spin seems to be fairly unimpressive, and a lot has been made of his unwillingness to go for difficult chances across the slips as well.

I'd say he's better than Dhoni, but that's about it.
His keeping to spin is also very good IMO, if you say him in Sri Lanka 2003 you would agree. With regards to his unwillingness to for for difficult chances as i said it wasn't a problem at all before he was axed, as Liam mentioned nerves probably caused that in the recent test series vs PAK.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Pothas can't play for England can he? He's played an ODI for South Africa.

I would definitely bring Foster back into the fold, his performances have been really good last season and his keeping is top-notch.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
From what I've seen, Read is terribly overrated as a glovesman. He might be marginally better than Geraint (though I haven't seen much to back that up really), but he's certainly not good enough to warrant being selected when he's an average batsman. His keeping to spin seems to be fairly unimpressive, and a lot has been made of his unwillingness to go for difficult chances across the slips as well.
Fuller's more or less spot on again. Although he is a better batsman than he was, albeit not much by the look of things, and he is actually a very good keeper to spin. He just didn't show it particularly well at times when keeping to Panesar.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Read hasnt made the most convincinga rgument for a place since he came back, I can remember two decent innings and thats sbout it. Ive been saying Foster should be given another chance, he's very handy with the bat, Great with the gloves, and he's one of the most athletic keepers ive seen.

I remember seeing him play against gloucester, where I think it averis played a short delivery to his feet, and the ball landed next to the wickets. Jimmy Foster sprinted to the ball, and knowing averis was short of his ground up the other end of the pitch, he kicked the ball, hit middle stump, bails came off, and Averis (Think it was him anyway) was out

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
Pothas can't play for England can he? He's played an ODI for South Africa.
He can, i don't think cricket has the name nationality rules in football since the likes of Keepler Wessels played for Australia & South Africa and John Traicos played for South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Pothas is the type of run scoring keeper that England are looking for, in the recent county season he averaged 64 and for the batsmen on the county circuit who played the maximum 15-16 games as you can see in the link he is right up there which is brilliant.

open365

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
He can, i don't think cricket has the name nationality rules in football since the likes of Keepler Wessels played for Australia & South Africa and John Traicos played for South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Pothas is the type of run scoring keeper that England are looking for, in the recent county season he averaged 64 and for the batsmen on the county circuit who played the maximum 15-16 games as you can see in the link he is right up there which is brilliant.
Really?Get him in the side right now.