• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England / Zimbabwe

Rich2001

International Captain
Well it appears this matter still wont drop, it's been reported that many of the England team have been reciving "threats" at their hotels in Australia, if they go ahead and play in Zimbabwe during the World Cup.

It seems that Nasser and some of the other guys have been finding notes that have been slipped under their doors, warning them of unrest should they continue to go ahead with their WC matches.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's no truth in the rumour that the notes under Harmison and Irani's doors came from members of Cricketweb.

Bazza

International 12th Man
:lol:

Are you sure they weren't from the Aussie coach - what's his name? I believe he has a track record for this sort of thing - and repeat offending is a classic symptom of this sort of crime.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
If it were the Aussies, they'd be encouraging Harmison, not putting him off!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Apparently Ronnie Irani and Steve Harmison recieved "Propoganda" about the current situation in Zim. But they did not recieve death threats or anything else.
Hope this clears anything up

Personally I think it would be a farce if England went to Zimbabwe, Imagine Hussain having to shake Mugabes bloodstained hand. I dont think he should be given the privelage of staging such a big event in his country given the way he is ruining it.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Supposedly if he offers his hand it will not be shaken by the England captain or anyone else.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anna said:
If it were the Aussies, they'd be encouraging Harmison, not putting him off!
Not really a quote, but what on earth had the bloke on your avatar been doing?!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know everyone is trying to ignore the politics in Zimbabwe and just concentrate on sport.

But this really is huge for Mugabe, holding a big event such as the Cricket World Cup in his backyard shows in his opinion that his country is safe & that his reign is working.

The ICC have visited Bulawayo & Harare, but did they visit Southern Zimbabwe? no..if they had, then Im quite sure their resolution would have been completely different after seeing firsthand the outrageous treatment of citizens.

Anna

Not really a quote, but what on earth had the bloke on your avatar been doing?!
It's Ian Blackwell if you were wondering, and it was taken in Aus, so it's suncream he's got round his mouth :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Anna said:
It's Ian Blackwell if you were wondering, and it was taken in Aus, so it's suncream he's got round his mouth :rolleyes:.
I thought it was Simon Jones...he has a thing about suncream although it looks like Blackwell's pigged out on the icecream :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
I thought it was Simon Jones...he has a thing about suncream although it looks like Blackwell's pigged out on the icecream :lol:
And not just in that picture - he really needs to lose a few stone.

Anna

That is true, although he has lost some weight already after going to the academy, although that wasn't that long considering he spent a lot of time with the England squad.