• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England whinge about India tour itineray

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

This is just another sign of what I was saying in the thread on radical proposals for Tests. No one cares if Tests die, not the administrators, not the majority of fans in Asia and , one suspects, due to the huge sums involved, nor do the players.
This worries me. If true regarding the players(and judging by Dhoni's recent actions it might be) then it's really worrying. Can see a lot more 2 Test series in the future even involving big countires.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Err, yes, I do know what it is, don't start bringing out the Wiki. I'm well aware of the history of the CCI, but it is not a high-profile venue any more. The Wankhede is far more, and yes, I realise it's unavailable - so just leave Mumbai off the agenda if so.
u have a large capacity, a wonderful ground, excellent spectator facilities, it is in the biggest metro in India..........

Why the hell should it matter whether it is high-profile or not????????????

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This worries me. If true regarding the players(and judging by Dhoni's recent actions it might be) then it's really worrying. Can see a lot more 2 Test series in the future even involving big countires.
Just another portent of the eventual East-West split in world cricket, unfortunately.
If either of those two things happen I reckon I would stop watching cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: You said that the CCI "never has been" a frontline stadium. That is such an obviously false statement that you clearly had no clue what you were talking about. As explained repeatedly the Brabourne is in almost every way a better stadium than Wankehede. And Bombay is obviously a very convenient city for England fans. There isn't a shred of evidence that the ECB is complaining about using the Brabourne instead of the Wankhede as opposed to the rest of the itenary. This is just another of your bizarre arguments and as far as I can tell not a single other English poster is complaing about Brabourne either.
No, they don't appear to be. It's certainly not the main issue. Who knows, it may be no issue at all.

However, you can't shake the feeling that had it been the Wankhede rather than CCI Stadium, there'd have been a slight assuagement of the situation.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No, they don't appear to be. It's certainly not the main issue. Who knows, it may be no issue at all.

However, you can't shake the feeling that had it been the Wankhede rather than CCI Stadium, there'd have been a slight assuagement of the situation.
I dont think so Richard.

Brabourne was for long the premier cricket ground of Bombay and the number two ground in the country after Eden Gardens Calcutta. It was just the internal politics of Bombay Cricket that brought the Wankhede into the forefront. Of course, Brabourne went into relative neglect since all the money was available with BCCI and not CCI which is after all just a Club.

Then it was being udes only for al kinds of jumborees and various activities - anything but cricket really and went into disuse as far as top class cricket was concerned. If Brabourne gets revived and money is spent on it to bring it to world class levels that would be fantastic. As a Bombayite, I still consider Brabourne THE cricket ground of Bombay rather than Wankhede, thats how strong is the tradition and spirit of the ground.

In recent times, a lot has been done to bring the ground up to Test standards again. Sure its not Wankhede yet but its better than many up country Test centres and all should be done to promote cricket back at this great ground.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How long till DY Patil gets an international? Having been there that would be a magnificent venue for a big match.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How long till DY Patil gets an international? Having been there that would be a magnificent venue for a big match.
I think the only hitch is that it is not in Bombay but in a satellite township of New Bombay. This makes the downtown area of South Bombay where players are generally put up, too far. Wankhede and and Brabourne are both right there so DY Patil will always suffer until a better/faster mode of travel, the city Metro, etc are started. Thats some way off unfortunately.

Dissector

International Debutant
If I were an England fan with any sense of cricket history I would be thrilled at the prospect of watching a test match at the Brabourne. After its renovation, the Wanhede will surely revert to being Bombay's international stadium so this could well be the last test that England plays there at least for a very long time.

Incidentally last time England were around I remember reading about England fans complaining about the seating at Wankhede. Quite legitimately too because the seats, toilets etc. are quite awful; hopefully it will be much improved after the renovation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I dont think so Richard.

Brabourne was for long the premier cricket ground of Bombay and the number two ground in the country after Eden Gardens Calcutta. It was just the internal politics of Bombay Cricket that brought the Wankhede into the forefront. Of course, Brabourne went into relative neglect since all the money was available with BCCI and not CCI which is after all just a Club.

Then it was being udes only for al kinds of jumborees and various activities - anything but cricket really and went into disuse as far as top class cricket was concerned. If Brabourne gets revived and money is spent on it to bring it to world class levels that would be fantastic. As a Bombayite, I still consider Brabourne THE cricket ground of Bombay rather than Wankhede, thats how strong is the tradition and spirit of the ground.

In recent times, a lot has been done to bring the ground up to Test standards again. Sure its not Wankhede yet but its better than many up country Test centres and all should be done to promote cricket back at this great ground.
I know this. You're a traditionalist, and that's admirable. But you ask most people in this country (out of those not-that-many who know India's grounds ITFP) to name the stadium of Mumbai, you'll get the Wankhede every time near enough. The Brabourne will barely register.

That the Brabourne is a fine stadium is not something I'm disputing. It is. But it's not Mumbai's best-known stadium over here.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I know this. You're a traditionalist, and that's admirable. But you ask most people in this country (out of those not-that-many who know India's grounds ITFP) to name the stadium of Mumbai, you'll get the Wankhede every time near enough. The Brabourne will barely register.

That the Brabourne is a fine stadium is not something I'm disputing. It is. But it's not Mumbai's best-known stadium over here.
wtf does it matter, which is the best 'known' stadium over here? It's in the same city, so hotels etc are the same for people going to watch and it probably has better spectator facilities at this time. I really don't understand why you are arguing this point

As i said before, from reports, England are very happy to be playing at Brabourne, it's the rest of the tour they are whinging about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wtf does it matter, which is the best 'known' stadium over here? It's in the same city, so hotels etc are the same for people going to watch and it probably has better spectator facilities at this time. I really don't understand why you are arguing this point

As i said before, from reports, England are very happy to be playing at Brabourne, it's the rest of the tour they are whinging about.
I've not said England are unhappy to be playing at Brabourne - I honestly don't know entirely what the reasoning for said discontent is.

I'm simply giving reasons why the itinerary could be better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
na, we will win 7-0 last time we gifted you a match as good hosts do.
Gifted three out of six in fact, and it would probably have been four out of six had that Umpiring decision not gone Srinath's way in the opening game.

India should have won 6-0 in 2001/02. Very poor that they didn't.