• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs Pakistan 22/02/2003

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
What a find Anderson is, 9 wickets in 3 WC games!

2 in the over now! Latif LBW!!!

I really hope he plays against Zimbabwe, if they come over, in the Tests. This guy is a talent. As one leaves (or is close to leaving, ie Gough), another arrives :)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
wow, James Anderson could be the bowler of the tournament if he keeps this up.

Sensational bowling & this now leaves Pakistan needing a couple of miracles to get into the next round. The fact that England lost points to Zimbabwe still keeps them in the hunt but England must back themselves now to qualify for the next round.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was as comprehensive a victory we have seen by England when it counts for a number of years.

I was so impressed with how they blew the Pakistani team away and absolutely delighted that the game finished fully 15 minutes before I had to go out, thus allowing me to get the match report up (sorry about a couple of typos - there was no time to proof-real).

I'll just pretend that it was a Guardian report!

One last regret - I really wish that Akhtar had made a 50. Now that would have really been something.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think he was on course for the fastest 50 in ODI history.

Incidentally England now only need 1 win from 2 to qualify, and who would be against them?

The toss is important on Wednesday...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, James Anderson is indeed a find for England. To think that he really wasn't near national selection before the Ashes! I guess all those injuries were a blessing in disguise...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it was the same for NZ, everyone thought disaster when NZ had so many injuries but when you look back players like Andre Adams & Shane Bond would never have gotten into the squad as fast they did.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:

Incidentally England now only need 1 win from 2 to qualify, and who would be against them?

Still a tough ask for England but I think they will beat India.
If they dont they will have to play out of there skins to beat Australia.

I am proud to say I was one of the first people to say how talented I though Andersons was and It looks like I was right he is a bloody good bowler. England HAVE to pick him in tests now IMO.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:

He had 43 off 15 balls, the record is Jayasuriya, 50 off 17. It would've taken one hell of a skier, a lot of running and a dropped catch :)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
? if they beat India then went get beaten by Australia....Pakistan beat/get beaten by India, is it that clear as to who's going through ?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I think the find for the WC will be Paul Collingwood. He's turning into a Bevan-like finisher in one-dayers and having seen him bat live, he looks pretty sound. Here's the stats for his last 15 matches:

http://statserver.cricket.org/perl/...=0&stumpedlow=&stumpedhigh=&csearch=&submit=1

That's good going and I think it augers well for England in one-dayers and Test matches, if they have the guts to give him a go and drop Crawley FINALLY.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Still a tough ask for England but I think they will beat India.
If they dont they will have to play out of there skins to beat Australia.

I am proud to say I was one of the first people to say how talented I though Andersons was and It looks like I was right he is a bloody good bowler. England HAVE to pick him in tests now IMO.
I hope they do. Zimbabwe in the 1st Test would be a nice, pressure-free debut :)

The one problem is that he's only played one County season...so we can't totally be sure how good he is in the longer for...but then he's not picked up any bad habbits either...50 wickets at 22.28 is very nice thank you very much :)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
He had 43 off 15 balls, the record is Jayasuriya, 50 off 17. It would've taken one hell of a skier, a lot of running and a dropped catch :)
The ball he was out for going for 4 and it's 47 off 15 - the way he was going 2 consecutive boundaries weren't beyond the realms of possibility!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gotchya said:
? if they beat India then went get beaten by Australia....Pakistan beat/get beaten by India, is it that clear as to who's going through ?
From what I heard they needed 2 wins from 3, and now it's 1 from 2.

Having said that if they win 5 out of 7, I think it's almost impossible for them not to go through (especially when one of the losses didn't cost them NRR)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
The ball he was out for going for 4 and it's 47 off 15 - the way he was going 2 consecutive boundaries weren't beyond the realms of possibility!
Except the ball he got out from was his 16th.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
From what I heard they needed 2 wins from 3, and now it's 1 from 2.

Having said that if they win 5 out of 7, I think it's almost impossible for them not to go through (especially when one of the losses didn't cost them NRR)
Playing 7? Which WC is this, then? ;)

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes well Kenya getting through will favour the Pool A sides and we may see all three of them in the semis, whoever that turns out to be, as Pool B will be closer for the remaining two spots for mine.