• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs India

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm currently watching India vs England and boy this kid Blackwell is going well :)

Currently 211-5 off 44.1. overs. England have made a good fight back after a superb opening spell of bowling by India! :O

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's a pity the forum was down for the build-up to this game - has any game been more eagerly awaited on here?:D

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
England Played well recovering from a bad start as James has stated earlier Blackwell gave a real good show but got run out in the end , he did well supporting knight and stewart and irani and England reached 269/7 .

But India's reply was stronger, the first 3 overs went by , by singles , but then Sehwag started opening his account started hitting 3 4's and 2 4;s in an over , hit caddick all around the park the score at the moment is
V.Sehwag 101 79 balls 17 fours 1 six
S.Ganguly 41 58 balls 3 fours 1 six

India is Currently in a winning position at 153/0 in 22.2 overs at a r.rate of 6.85 ( its been around that till now ) 115 needed to win at a rate of 4.23

Its good that India went on to chase and started of really well , they showing some signs of improvement , but the bowling department needs more improvement , maybe they should take Kumble out and Bring in either Bangar or Yadav that would be better for India another useful seam bowler / batsmen or a speciliast keeper who can be a useful bat

Exciting match , Sehwag playing Some minty shots and Ganguly doing real well on just being there as a support , good batting by both !

However its not over , Until its actually Over !

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well.. we were slaughtered.

Only Ian Blackwell played to his potential. Hussain played like someone who'd had part of his brain (erm.. most) removed, and when 10-0-54-0 (Hoggard) looks good by comparison, well...

Anyway, we were missing: Collingwood, Vaughan, Thorpe, Gough and Flintoff.

If you took Yuvraj, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Zaheer and Kaif away from India, I think things would have been somewhat different.

Anyway, it's February soon and a certain grudge rematch in South Africa.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Wow, hooray. India is the greatest team in the world. they are going to win the world cup and the icc champions trophy. India is never to be beaten. They have proved now that by beating England they are the greatest team.;):D

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Sunil Havascar
Wow, hooray. India is the greatest team in the world. they are going to win the world cup and the icc champions trophy. India is never to be beaten. They have proved now that by beating England they are the greatest team.;):D
LOL, I will give them alot of respect if they win this cup from their current situation. Having to beat SA/SL and Aus will take some doing.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
India did well, Ganguly really seems to be turning the corner, both as a batsman (doing captaincy) and a captain. Whoever England were missing, a win is a win, and chasing 270 in less than 40 overs is quite remarkable. Its such a ontrast from the late 80s england team, when it was perhaps the best ODI team but not that good in tests.

Of the four teams left in the tournament, India probably has the least chance but still I wont count them out just yet, its ODi and the conditions favor their batsmen.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
India did well, Ganguly really seems to be turning the corner, both as a batsman (doing captaincy) and a captain. Whoever England were missing, a win is a win, and chasing 270 in less than 40 overs is quite remarkable. Its such a ontrast from the late 80s england team, when it was perhaps the best ODI team but not that good in tests.
Hi Roy, quite a change to see you praising Ganguly.;) The Indian batting is quite awesome right now, however, the bowling leaves much to be desired and against teams like Aus and SL will prove to be much more of a liability than now. The batsmen have been covering up for the bowlers till now. Let's see how far it goes.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
...however, the bowling leaves much to be desired and against teams like Aus and SL will prove to be much more of a liability than now.
Yes the bowling has to improve, but the new ball attack showed some promise today although they couldn't sustain the pressure.The other problem is that the spinners(Kumble and Harbhajan) aren't controlling the middle overs.Kumble isn't the same force and Harbhajan isn't the best one day bowler as he is more of an attacking bowler then someone who can contain a batting lineup.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
yep!!.. feels so wonderful!!

not often do you see India chasing 270 and winning with 10 overs to spare :)

we did defeat SA and Aus in the last edition of the tournament..

i hope the men in blue repeats that...

and yes.. the bowling was not quite good by India apart from Zaheer and Nehra, they cannot afford to give away 270 runs from 7/2...

also, Hussain played a horrible short innings yesterday... a captain could have done way better!

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yes Nasser Hussain played like... crap.
I have seen Fleming play similar innings. It really is an odd thing for a captain to do - play irresponsibly

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
So where are the English fans now? Mark7 and Neil?

Ur so called quality team that u have often praised so high was thrashed by
India. Please recall, i had claimed that India will easily beat England and that England are no contest to us, i have been proven right:D

Havaskar
As for India being the greatest, there are not so stop babbling about it.WE never claimed that India is the best, ihave alwaysmaintained that they areamong the top 4.I for one rank SA well above India, and as far as Aus is concerned, noone comes near them

[Edited on 23/9/2002 by warrioryohannan]

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Well.. we were slaughtered.

Only Ian Blackwell played to his potential. Hussain played like someone who'd had part of his brain (erm.. most) removed, and when 10-0-54-0 (Hoggard) looks good by comparison, well...

Anyway, we were missing: Collingwood, Vaughan, Thorpe, Gough and Flintoff.

If you took Yuvraj, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Zaheer and Kaif away from India, I think things would have been somewhat different.

Anyway, it's February soon and a certain grudge rematch in South Africa.

England cric are fragile, they will always have fitness problems, besides even had they played, England would have still lost.

Its not English batting that failed, its their bowling(as was the case in Natwest too).
Gough is the lone English class bowler, but he alone can do all the work.Apart
from him, all others are crap.

The rematch in WC would end up in same result, England simply aren't good enough for the Indians!

Kimbo

International Debutant
Originally posted by warrioryohannan

India. Please recall, i had claimed that India will easily beat England and that England are no contest to us, i have been proven right:D

Havaskar
As for India being the greatest, there are not so stop babbling about it.WE never claimed that India is the best, ihave alwaysmaintained that they areamong the top 4.I for one rank SA well above India, and as far as Aus is concerned, noone comes near them

[Edited on 23/9/2002 by warrioryohannan]
yea whatever, i was just taking the wees

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by warrioryohannan
Erm, I'll think you'll find we were onhere straight after the game congratulating India actually.

Not praised so much as said that the 2 sides are close - I don't know how many times I have to say this but these games are all one off, over a period of time the 2 teams are close (in the last 10 matches it's India 5 England 4 and 1 rained off).

SWALLOW<>SUMMER!!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Murder i say ! murder under the lights. The indians came out with flying colours. Good show. If they can go on from here to atleast the finals (they would have to beat SA) it would be big morale boost.

English bowlers well, they should have for a change taken a clue from Nehra and Zaheer who bowled very well indeed. The middle overs cost India dearly but still Sehwag made short work of it. Hapless, thats what england looked in the field yesterday.

Dravid, well he's nothing short of a clown when he has those gloves on. Get rid of the gloves he'll have a match lost for india someday.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
India.
:rolleyes:
Not praised so much as said that the 2 sides are close - I don't know how many times I have to say this but these games are all one off, over a period of time the 2 teams are close (in the last 10 matches it's India 5 England 4 and 1 rained off).

SWALLOW<>SUMMER!!
To add to this, we were understrength. Not taking anything away from India - but we were hugely under par, and a good performance from England will run any of the top teams close.

Also - it's not as if the previous Champions Trophy has been much of a form guide to who's the world's best.

And Hussain wants shooting on that display.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
[quote

SWALLOW<>SUMMER!! [/quote]

Oh yeah, they are surely close, man ur bowlers got the kicks as usual , this whole talk of Englnd being under par is bull****.India is much better than England, and u guys know that!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
To add to this, we were understrength. Not taking anything away from India - but we were hugely under par, and a good performance from England will run any of the top teams close.
Just because you are quoting stats, it is 6 wins, 4 losses and 1 rained off matches for India now taking the most recent matches. When will that good performance come? You say that England was under par. This English bowling attack based on experience & quality was better than India's with or without Gough and Flintoff. You say, Vaughan was absent, his replacement Knight scored a 50. The English batted decently and were unable to post a more challenging total mainly because Tresc and Hussain failed. Don't say Flintoff was missed, Blackwell more than made up for his absence. So, in conclusion, all this talk about an under par England(it's being going on for too long now) has really lost any relevance it ever had. England lost because a couple of their main batsmen failed as well as because of an awesome display by the Indian openers. It's as simple as that.