• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v. Australia Twenty20 Predictions

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
I didn't say Vaughan was the better of the two captains, only the more innovative.

And as regards bowling options IN THE TWO TEAMS TO PLAY ON MONDAY, England have Gough, Jones, Harmison, Batty, Flintoff, Collingwood, Trescothick, Vaughan in that team, all of whom bowl on a fairly regular basis in ODIs. Australia have McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Hogg, Clarke, Symonds. That's it, unless they're going to use Martyn, Hussey or Ponting, but they'd really be scraping the barrel there.
but the aussie bowlers are better than the english ones, so they won't really need to use a lot of different bowlers

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I didn't say Vaughan was the better of the two captains, only the more innovative.

And as regards bowling options IN THE TWO TEAMS TO PLAY ON MONDAY, England have Gough, Jones, Harmison, Batty, Flintoff, Collingwood, Trescothick, Vaughan in that team, all of whom bowl on a fairly regular basis in ODIs. Australia have McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Hogg, Clarke, Symonds. That's it, unless they're going to use Martyn, Hussey or Ponting, but they'd really be scraping the barrel there.
If you're going to include Trescothick, Hussey deserves consideration as well. He's not a bad medium pacer really. More useful than Ponting by a long way.

edit: oh, and so far as Trescothick bowling "quite regularly" in ODIs is concerned, he averages about one over every three matches. Vaughan only averages 1.5, but at least he's had a decent amount of success. I'd say England have 7 bowling options which are actually reasonably likely to be used to Australia's 6.

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

He's not had a challenge yet at all.

But, feel free to keep on telling us how great he is and so much better than Vaughan, because I for one remember what happened last time you said that.
Based on his excellent decisions on the field and his uncanny knack of bringing out the best in every player. Based on his knowlege of cricket and how to attack different players.

Based on his ability to lead the team when the chips are down.

based on his skills in keeping players fresh and bringing them into the game when the time is right.

Based on his record as a batsman that delivers what he asks his players to do.

That is why Ponting is regarded as the leading Captain in world cricket. Thats why he was selected to lead the ICC world XI. Lara and Fleming who are the next best captains in the world were very happy to have Ponting lead them in the ICC world XI because he was the best.

Its only you marc that thinks a monkey could lead a team to victory over England.

Scallywag

Banned
Barney Rubble said:

McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Hogg, Clarke, Symonds

Yeah I see your point, Australia dont have a chance of winning.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Lara and Fleming who are the next best captains in the world were very happy to have Ponting lead them in the ICC world XI because he was the best.
Lara? May be one of the best batsmen in the world, but never a great captain. He isn't even captain of the West Indies anymore...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Did I ever say Australia didn't have a chance of winning? NO.
Did I ever say Australia's bowling options were of lower quality than England's? NO.
Did I ever say anything about the two bowling attacks other than England have MORE bowlers (numerically speaking - assuming they count the same way down your end of the world) than Australia? NO.

In fact, I said the number of bowling options was almost the only department in which England had the edge. Read what you're replying to before you get sarcastic.

And by the way, Fleming and LARA?!? The other two best captains in the world? Lara can't captain to save his life - anyone who could make WI that bad surely can't be great, just look at the recent improvements they've made since he quit (or was axed, I can't remember). Great player, terrible captain.

As regards Ponting as a captain, he has turned the best team in the world into, hmmmm, the best team in the world - what a tough challenge that must be. Vaughan, however, has turned the seventh-best team in the world, with a maximum of two world-class players, into the only team in the world capable of reasonably challenging Australia over five Tests, a team full of class players who have lost one Test in 18 months. I'd say that deserves a lot more credit than simply carrying on what was started about 15 years ago.

Ponting knew when he started that the team would still probably perform well even if he made bad decisions - a comfort zone. Vaughan took over not just at a time when the team weren't playing well, but when pressure was on him as the key run-scorer in the team. He has a far more difficult job than Ponting. Saying Ponting is the best captain in the world is like saying the manager of the Brazilian football team is the best manager in the world because of how good they are - being a good captain isn't always about success, it's about what you can do with the resources that are given to you. Vaughan has done that better than Ponting. This summer he will prove it.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
I expect the team that bat first to win. Although if some one twisted my arm, i would say Aus will win.

andyc

Barney Rubble said:
Did I ever say Australia's bowling options were of lower quality than England's? NO.
Did I ever say anything about the two bowling attacks other than England have MORE bowlers (numerically speaking - assuming they count the same way down your end of the world) than Australia? NO.

In fact, I said the number of bowling options was almost the only department in which England had the edge. Read what you're replying to before you get sarcastic.

And by the way, Fleming and LARA?!? The other two best captains in the world? Lara can't captain to save his life - anyone who could make WI that bad surely can't be great, just look at the recent improvements they've made since he quit (or was axed, I can't remember). Great player, terrible captain.

As regards Ponting as a captain, he has turned the best team in the world into, hmmmm, the best team in the world - what a tough challenge that must be. Vaughan, however, has turned the seventh-best team in the world, with a maximum of two world-class players, into the only team in the world capable of reasonably challenging Australia over five Tests, a team full of class players who have lost one Test in 18 months. I'd say that deserves a lot more credit than simply carrying on what was started about 15 years ago.

Ponting knew when he started that the team would still probably perform well even if he made bad decisions - a comfort zone. Vaughan took over not just at a time when the team weren't playing well, but when pressure was on him as the key run-scorer in the team. He has a far more difficult job than Ponting. Saying Ponting is the best captain in the world is like saying the manager of the Brazilian football team is the best manager in the world because of how good they are - being a good captain isn't always about success, it's about what you can do with the resources that are given to you. Vaughan has done that better than Ponting. This summer he will prove it.
woah chill, mate :cool:

Scallywag

Banned
Barney Rubble said:

You dont like to give credit to Ponting for the excellent job he has done as captain do you.

This what you say gives England the edge.
Vaughan 12 wickets @ 43
Trescothic 4 wickets @ 54
Collingwood 28 wickets @ 43
Batty 4 wickets @ 63
Jones 3 wickets @ 25

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Predicted England batting order:

1. Trescothick
2. Flintoff
3. Pietersen
4. Strauss
5. Collingwood
6. G Jones
7. Vaughan
8. Batty
9. Gough
10. S Jones
11. Harmison

!
I think think this is the team that is most likely to play if i follow the BBC

1.Trescothick
2.G. Jones
3.Pietersen
4.Flintoff
5.Strauss
6.Vaughan
7.Collingwood -Although BBC believe it will be Solanki :thumbdown :no2:
8.Batty
9.S. Jones
10.Gough
11.Harmison

And Aus will probably be

1.Gilchrist
2.Hayden is in form, so i think will take this spot ahead of Katich [who has a great 20/20 record]
3.Ponting
4.Symonds
5.Clarke - Decent return last year for Hants
6.Hussey
7.????????? Maybe Hogg at 7 then Gillespie at 8 ?????
8.Hogg
9.Lee
10.Kasprowicz
11.McGrath

Aus look much stronger than England as England's major firepower is in the top order. if the get out cheaply, game over. Aus could even play Martyn or Katich at 7 just as a safety net. even Watson, for an allrounder option

If Solanki does play, i do hope i am pleasantly suprised and deemed wrong

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
SpeedKing said:
And Aus will probably be

1.Gilchrist
2.Hayden is in form, so i think will take this spot ahead of Katich [who has a great 20/20 record]
3.Ponting
4.Symonds
5.Clarke - Decent return last year for Hants
6.Hussey
7.????????? Maybe Hogg at 7 then Gillespie at 8 ?????
8.Hogg
9.Lee
10.Kasprowicz
11.McGrath
Err, why the hell would they drop Martyn? He's been the most consistent Australian batsman by far over the last 12 months...

The Australian lineup will be selected from the following 12:
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

I don't think Katich or Kasprowicz will play, and among that 12 I think probably Hogg will miss out, so Australia will be relying on Watson, Symonds and Clarke for 8 overs.

andyc

FaaipDeOiad said:
Err, why the hell would they drop Martyn? He's been the most consistent Australian batsman by far over the last 12 months...

The Australian lineup will be selected from the following 12:
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

I don't think Katich or Kasprowicz will play, and among that 12 I think probably Hogg will miss out, so Australia will be relying on Watson, Symonds and Clarke for 8 overs.
i just don't see martyn as a twenty20 player, all out bashing just doesn't suit his style, and kasper bowled quite well in the new zealand twenty20, didnt he?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
i just don't see martyn as a twenty20 player, all out bashing just doesn't suit his style, and kasper bowled quite well in the new zealand twenty20, didnt he?
You don't have to be an "all out basher" though. Anyway, Martyn is perfectly capable of hitting 70 off 50 or whatever and has done so before, which is an excellent innings in 20/20. If they drop him, I'll eat my hat. I'm not so certain about Kasprowicz, but I doubt he will be picked either. The only questionable spot is who will play at 8, and it will be either Hogg or Watson.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scallywag said:
You dont like to give credit to Ponting for the excellent job he has done as captain do you.
No, I don't. I'm English, he's the captain of Australia - what do you expect? :D

This what you say gives England the edge.
Vaughan 12 wickets @ 43
Trescothic 4 wickets @ 54
Collingwood 28 wickets @ 43
Batty 4 wickets @ 63
Jones 3 wickets @ 25
I didn't say it would give England the edge in the match - I said it was the only department in which England had the edge. They have more people who could reasonably be called upon in an international game to bowl - I never said anything about how good any of them were. I happen to think Gareth Batty is an utter pile of rubbish, incidentally. I think Australia's bowling department is FAR stronger - it's just that if Flintoff and Pietersen tonk McGrath, Lee and Gillespie all over the place, Ponting will have less bowlers to turn to than Vaughan will if Harmison, Gough, and Jones get carted. Seeing as Flintoff and Pietersen are almost certainly England's best chance of winning this game, the bowlers Australia turn to if this happens could have a bearing on the result - THAT'S the way in which England have the edge.

For the record, and to end the perception of me as a blinkered Englishman that's probably emerging by now, I think Australia will win.

simmy

International Regular
My initial prediction was obviously a joke I guess.

England will have so much resting on Pieterson and Flintoff. One of these will have to bat for well over 10 overs.

As much I would love it... I just can't see England winning... ironically I think they have a better chance in the first test match.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
simmy said:
ironically I think they have a better chance in the first test match.
I don't. A test match is the highest test of cricketing skill - over 5 days, the cream tends to rise to the top, and one good individual performance is far less likely to carry you to a win. In an ODI it's much easier to fluke a win, and it's even easier than that in 20/20. If Flintoff or Pietersen has a good game or someone likes Jones or Harmison picks up a few early wickets, England could certainly get over the line.