• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England tour of Australia ODIs

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Another comfortable win for the Aussies which given the side we put out isn't surprising.

Never like losing to the old enemy but this is about as meaningless a series as you can have between these 2 sides.

If both teams were at full strength and it was a meaningful game, I think we're the better team.
Never enjoyed the old 'given the side we put out' and 'if both teams were at full strength' rhetoric. A) it's your team's decision to put that side out and B) it's your depth of players that become an issue, too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I also dislike the meaningless stuff. When you play a rival, nothing should be meaningless. If you're competitive, nothing should feel that way (unless it's a junk format like T20)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Never enjoyed the old 'given the side we put out' and 'if both teams were at full strength' rhetoric. A) it's your team's decision to put that side out and B) it's your depth of players that become an issue, too.
He didn't say that Aus didn't deserve to celebrate the win or whatever, just that the result isn't a surprise and he still thinks they're the better team at full strength. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Fair to argue the depth is a problem if it was an Australian almost-second XI too but it was mostly full strength so they were always gonna get flogged and it doesn't really mean much in terms of who the better team/squad/overall setup is.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I enjoy that it's about the 47th post of the same nature already in the thread. Same guys posting them as well. Someone really wants to make sure everyone knows these games don't count haha

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I enjoy that it's about the 47th post of the same nature already in the thread. Same guys posting them as well. Someone really wants to make sure everyone knows these games don't count haha
Says my old mate who poopooed the 2007 Chappell Hadlee whitewash as against Australia E...?

TheJediBrah

England clearly have a lot better white-ball depth IMO. If both sides had to field a literal 2nd XI England would be a lot stronger

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
England clearly have a lot better white-ball depth IMO. If both sides had to field a literal 2nd XI England would be a lot stronger
What would those sides look like? Because Australia's bowling depth FAR outweighs England's, at full fitness. Richardson(J), Behrendorff, Neser, Abbott, Ellis/whoever v Jordan, Willey, Dawson, Mahmood, Stone, Overton, Topley/whoever. Granted, England's back up batsmen would be better, but Australia's 2nd XI bowlers would give them trouble.

TheJediBrah

What would those sides look like? Because Australia's bowling depth FAR outweighs England's, at full fitness. Richardson(J), Behrendorff, Neser, Abbott, Ellis/whoever v Jordan, Willey, Dawson, Mahmood, Stone, Overton, Topley/whoever. Granted, England's back up batsmen would be better, but Australia's 2nd XI bowlers would give them trouble.
I have no idea about England, they have so many players going at once I'm not sure what would be their exact 1st XI, 2nd XI etc. I feel like they have 20-25 good white-ball international cricketers but other than the top 4 or 5 the rest are all about of similar quality. Batting is definitely their strength though.

Aus 1st XI would look like:
Warner
Head
Smith
Labuschagne
Carey
Green
Maxwell
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Haze

So I'd say the 2nd XI would be:
Khawaja
Phillipe
McDermott
Marsh
Inglis
Stoinis
Turner
Abbott
Agar
J. Richardson
Ellis

TheJediBrah

Eng:
1 Bairstow
2 Hales
3 Malan
4 Root
5 Buttler
6 Stokes
7 Ali
8 Jordan
9 Archer
10 Wood
11 Rashid

Eng A:
1 Salt
2 Roy
3 Vince
4 Duckett
5 Billings
6 Livingstone
7 Willey
8 S.Curran
9 Stone
10 Dawson
11 Topley

I know Hales isn't in the side ATM but he should be

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Eng:
1 Bairstow
2 Hales
3 Malan
4 Root
5 Buttler
6 Stokes
7 Ali
8 Jordan
9 Archer
10 Wood
11 Rashid

Eng A:
1 Salt
2 Roy
3 Vince
4 Duckett
5 Billings
6 Livingstone
7 Willey
8 S.Curran
9 Stone
10 Dawson
11 Topley

I know Hales isn't in the side ATM but he should be
lol @ Dawson below Stone. Brutal.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Thr games don't matter.

One of the big problems of white ball cricket is the only games that really count are the World Cups.

The only thing that anyone will remember from this white ball summer in Australia is that England won the T20 World Cup.

Nobody will say yeah but they lost the ODI series that followed.

We all remember World Cups and who won them but who remembers who Australia played in an ODI series in 2019 or whatever.

TheJediBrah

Thr games don't matter.

One of the big problems of white ball cricket is the only games that really count are the World Cups.

The only thing that anyone will remember from this white ball summer in Australia is that England won the T20 World Cup.

Nobody will say yeah but they lost the ODI series that followed.

We all remember World Cups and who won them but who remembers who Australia played in an ODI series in 2019 or whatever.
That's what makes it so funny. It's obvious to everyone that it's a heavily weakened team, and a week after the World T20. It kind of goes without saying. But you guys still feel the need to repeat it daily in case somone forgets?

You shouldn't care who wins or loses, it's a prank series, but for some reason you clearly do

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And like TJB (I think) said, the 'these games don't matter' is very often pointed at ODIs, but much more seldom at T20Is. Which is nuts.

I also, as previously stated, disagree thoroughly that the only games of any note or nostalgic value in ODIs are World Cups. The quality is there if you choose to look for it.

It's actually scary how dopamine-infested and quick-fix orientated we have become as a species, if we want to get all anthropological on it.