• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad named

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Well, on his debut against India he bowled a few balls which were witheringly quick - and remember, he didn't get the new ball. His first-innings dismissals weren't much to write home about (Ratra and AA) but he did for them both with fast, short deliveries. In the second innings, he came on first change and straight away blasted Sehwag out with one of the fastest balls I've seen by an Englishman since Alan Ward (you won't remember him).

His second test was the one he got injured in, having just got rid of Langer and bowled just one spell as first change.
The Sehwag ball was, IIRR, 86.4 mph.
Darren Gough will have bowled many deliveries quicker than that. Andy Caddick has bowled the odd ball quicker than that.
John Snow was still playing in 1976, was he not?
What about Devon Malcolm?
Do I get the feeling you Alan Ward appeared to be even quicker than them, and everyone seems rather desperate that Jones can bowl 150 kph when there has never been anything to suggest this is the case?
Just because Rod Marsh compared him to Thommo and Maher compared him to Lee doesn't mean either said he could bowl as fast as they could!
Not many of the thousands of quicker balls than the Sehwag ball will have had strokes played to them that are as poor as the one Sehwag played to that.
The Sehwag and Agarkar (first-innings) balls were both OK, though definately not wicket-taking, deliveries. The Laxman and Ratra balls were both out-and-out bad balls that should have gone one place - the boundary.
The Langer ball should have hit Stewart's gloves after Langer let it go.
When he gets back from injury, if he fails, I don't doubt whatsoever that the "I always worried he'd never be the same after injury" will be said hundreds of times.
Even if he's still managing speeds of 85-90 mph, which he appeared to be doing in his netting last season.

Craig

World Traveller
Well Simon jones has been drafted into the England squad. He fly home back to Wales later this week before joining the team in Kingston.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
John Snow was still playing in 1976, was he not?
well i dont think he was playing test cricket then,and he would have probably lost quite a bit of his pace by then as well

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Well Simon jones has been drafted into the England squad. He fly home back to Wales later this week before joining the team in Kingston.
'Twas always likely and absolutely certain after the 10-for.