• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

FBU

International Debutant
Ball called up for the ODI series

Ball 17 matches 21 wickets at 45.28 econ 6.22
Wood 26 matches 27 wickets at 45.59 econ 5.44

Why?

What is wrong with Finn 29.37 econ 5.06?

Mr Miyagi

Banned

Why?

Wood is already in the team. And now he will probably play :(

No Woakes is huge for England. I am not sure England beat Australia in Australia this year without all his runs.

No Woakes, no Stokes, the wheels are falling off for England.

Jack1

International Debutant
England have a weird bias to Wood and Ball. I think they are poor bowlers are international level to be honest.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England have a weird bias to Wood and Ball. I think they are poor bowlers are international level to be honest.
England really seem to lack back up fast bowling. They have Broad and Anderson but not much else.

I don't think Wood or Ball would even come into selectors reckoning if they were Australian even with half the fast bowlers in the country injured

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year

Why?

Had a look, Finn actually seems to be bowling quite well in the Royal London cup. His action looks even more uncoordinated than usual, but he has been taking wickets.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
England really seem to lack back up fast bowling. They have Broad and Anderson but not much else.

I don't think Wood or Ball would even come into selectors reckoning if they were Australian even with half the fast bowlers in the country injured
When did Broad and Anderson even play odi cricket last?

[edit]

2014/15 for Anderson.

2015/16 for Broad.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Plunkett has been going well in the limited overs stuff. He is their Mr 'Go to".

Chris Jordan is the on the outer of the odi team now, but he has been doing good things for them when recalled to t20i recently. He has his yorker back on track.

Tymal Mills was a flash in the pan for their t20 side (but could be back after a good showing in the World XI when his team mates struggled or were just having a laugh), and Archer is a long way away from qualifying.

WIlley is a curious case where he is picked in t20 and odi sides both for his limited useful batting and new ball swing, but he regularly does not bowl out. Not at all regularly when team at full strength. He often only bowls upfront (when they have 6 genuine options with Stokes, Woakes, Khan, Ali, and say Plunkett). Being a bowler short will put pressure on him to bowl more overs.

Wood is a weak link in the team for sure, and he seems to have taken over from Finn.

Woakes has been brilliant for England as an allrounder.

Stokes makes enough headlines on and off the field to be a household name.

Anderson and Broad really are a long way away from this team unless the casualty ward starts overflowing. Whether they like it or not. And now Ball called up ahead of them.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Plunkett has been going well in the limited overs stuff. He is their Mr 'Go to".

Chris Jordan is the on the outer of the odi team now, but he has been doing good things for them when recalled to t20i recently. He has his yorker back on track.

Tymal Mills was a flash in the pan for their t20 side (but could be back after a good showing in the World XI when his team mates struggled or were just having a laugh), and Archer is a long way away from qualifying.

WIlley is a curious case where he is picked in t20 and odi sides both for his limited useful batting and new ball swing, but he regularly does not bowl out. Not at all regularly when team at full strength. He often only bowls upfront (when they have 6 genuine options with Stokes, Woakes, Khan, Ali, and say Plunkett). Being a bowler short will put pressure on him to bowl more overs.

Wood is a weak link in the team for sure, and he seems to have taken over from Finn.

Woakes has been brilliant for England as an allrounder.

Stokes makes enough headlines on and off the field to be a household name.

Anderson and Broad really are a long way away from this team unless the casualty ward starts overflowing. Whether they like it or not. And now Ball called up ahead of them.
Strauss retired Broad and Anderson from ODIs 3 years ago.
Seems Woakes is selected for ODIs but not T20s, yet plays in the IPL and more valuable than Jordan.
Jordan is selected for T20s but not ODIs.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Strauss retired Broad and Anderson from ODIs 3 years ago.
Seems Woakes is selected for ODIs but not T20s, yet plays in the IPL and more valuable than Jordan.
Jordan is selected for T20s but not ODIs.
Broad got a reprieve after Jimmy, but was then retired again.

Jordan had the misfortune of playing for SRH who have by the far strongest bowling unit. He was competing with;

Nabi (Afg star), R Khan (Afg star), BK (Ind star), Thampi (Ind), Sandeep (Ind), Kaul (Ind), Shakib(Bng star), Braithwaite(WI star) and Stanlake (Aus star) just to get a game. He bowled very well in his only game this year.

16th match (N), Indian Premier League at Chandigarh, Apr 19 2018 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Jordan also bowled well in New Zealand domestic t20, and then for England in NZ in t20i.

He really could be back on the mend to where he used to be.

SRH are the IPL team I follow the most due to KW captaining them this year. So I am quite familiar with them.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Broad got a reprieve after Jimmy, but was then retired again.

Jordan had the misfortune of playing for SRH who have by the far strongest bowling unit. He was competing with;

Nabi (Afg star), R Khan (Afg star), BK (Ind star), Thampi (Ind), Sandeep (Ind), Kaul (Ind), Shakib(Bng star), Braithwaite(WI star) and Stanlake (Aus star) just to get a game. He bowled very well in his only game this year.

16th match (N), Indian Premier League at Chandigarh, Apr 19 2018 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Jordan also bowled well in New Zealand domestic t20, and then for England in NZ in t20i.

He really could be back on the mend to where he used to be.

SRH are the IPL team I follow the most due to KW captaining them this year. So I am quite familiar with them.
What I was trying to say was that England think Jordan is better in T20s than Woakes, who can't get into the team. The IPL franchises think differently as Woakes was bought for £810,000 and Jordan £110,000.

Think Wood and Willey are more suited to T20 than ODIs

Mr Miyagi

Banned
What I was trying to say was that England think Jordan is better in T20s than Woakes, who can't get into the team. The IPL franchises think differently as Woakes was bought for £810,000 and Jordan £110,000.

Think Wood and Willey are more suited to T20 than ODIs

I don't think Wood offers much.

Willey has promise still.

I rate both Woakes and probably even Jordan to have more bright days.

Woakes was misused in IPL by RCB (his batting value was negated totally) and Jordan was unlucky which very strong bowling team bought him in SRH.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant

Woakes was misused in IPL by RCB (his batting value was negated totally) and Jordan was unlucky which very strong bowling team bought him in SRH.
Woakes loved bowling at Kolkata. KKR should have bought him again.
22.0-0-179-14 - 12.78 econ 8.13 Kolkata
40.2-0-397-11 - 36.09 econ 9.84 elsewhere

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Yeah the Wood selection is really odd for the most part. I'm sure they see something in him (don't know what) as he's always in the squad. Do prefer Willey, he can at least get wickets up front if it swings.

Thing is, Stokes should step up as a bowler imo. At the moment England definitely want to go with two spinners but they have so much choice in the bowling.

Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan and Buttler are as good as any batters out there, they can do the batting work. Stokes should work to bowl 8-10 overs if needed. That leaves 20 with Rashid and Ali and then 10 each from either Woakes, Plunkett or Curran, with Willey second reserve based on who misses out.

The England bowling attack has massively improve in my opinion but often they just pick the wrong players.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Mark Wood because quick? Even though he's really not at all. I reckon international batsmen would say they love facing him - not tall, doesn't get great bounce, bouncer doesn't seem particularly slippery, doesn't really swing it. Didn't even seem to have a slower ball repertoire or plan B when in NZ.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Because he's good for the dressing room or something.

Hard to tell at this point. His myth is still stronger than his performance.