• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One to keep an eye on. Surprised at the confidence of it. He must have the x-factor.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...st-bowling-sussex-jonathan-liew-a8300346.html
I haven't yet had the pleasure of watching the boy bowl, but 93mph is some fairly decent wheels.

As the article alludes to, our current seam up bowling does have a wee bit of a monochromatic feel about it, so some variation would be welcome.

Just hope the young fella isn't fast tracked (ha) too quickly (ha; shyte puns; I've got them :ph34r:) & ends up another Saj Mahmood, Alex Tudor or Syd Lawrence; psychologically or physically broken before he's 25.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i mean its nice that he's quick an all but is he actually any good? a best of 3/20 after 9 fc matches doesn't suggest so.

if we want a bloke with wheels then hoping and praying that olly stones body holds together is probably a safer bet.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
3/20. Would be against us! I was there for that. Depressing. All the wickets intact for an obtainable 4th day run chase of 264 and skittled out for 131- 61/7 at one stage until a lower order partnership stayed in a bit. It seemed to be all over in 30 minutes but it would've lasted longer!

theegyptian

You could conceivably get rid of all of the top 3.

Stoneman just doesn't look international class but keeps making contributions. Can't play the short ball which is a big problem for an opening bat. I don't see there being a gradual improvement as he gets used to international standard tbh (say like Trescothick)- This is as good as it gets imo.
Vince plays nice shots like other good international cricketers do but he averages 25 after 13 tests and shows no signs of changing his style/ learning from his mistakes. He's basically a Seinfeld character - no hugging, no learning.
Cook looks terrible most of the time now which is terribly sad. Does he really want it anymore?

But you still have to replace them. Gubbins missed the start of the season injured, Hameed still hasn't scored runs, Root too ***** to bat 3.

Trevor ' I don't watch county cricket, but every county batsman is ****' Bayliss really needs to be gone as test coach. The test team has been average to poor and it's getting worse. Like I don't see how there isn't more pressure on him in the press. Need a new coach with a total focus on test cricket.

Root is a crap captain and is one of the least intimidating captains there has ever been but there really isn't anyone to replace him.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
bayliss in all likelihood needs to go but binning him doesn't create an abundance of top order bats and international standard bowlers not named jimmy or stuart.

the new guy is going to have the same steaming pile of dung to deal with.

theegyptian

bayliss in all likelihood needs to go but binning him doesn't create an abundance of top order bats and international standard bowlers not named jimmy or stuart.

the new guy is going to have the same steaming pile of dung to deal with.
You sound like Bayliss though (which is fine for us given we are fans). He's meant to be motivating and cajoling the team. Instead he's 'meh the cupboard's bare, what else can I do?' No wonder no-one improves or the they play the defeatist cricket on these recent foreign tours to India, Australia etc.

Going all the way back to the UAE on his first overseas tour. Asked about the openers and I am paraprashing now but he said 'we don't have anyone good, no-ones making runs in county cricket etc'. This was after dropping Lyth who scored a ****ton of runs in the championship, and having Hales sit on the bench for the tour (whilst moeen ali opened) before bringing him in for SA. Hales presumably as result felt he wasn't good enough even before he played for england, and lyth only got 6 tests after scoring a ****ton of runs. He's made similar comments basically every time they've lost.

If he's anything like his public persona inside the changing room it's no surprise a lot of these players aren't improving. A good coach will improve or move on players. Instead Bayliss doesn't seem to do much of anything. It's not like he knows county cricket at all either. A new coach could really do no worse than Bayliss, so I don't see why we should continue with him. Maybe a new coach will bring in someone they've actually seen in county cricket and work with them on improving them.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Stoneman in English conditions will conceivably make a century or two so that will ensure his place.

S.Kennedy

Didn't Ed Smith get done for plagiarizing articles awhile back? A three test wonder.

What a strange appointment!

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

In fairness to Vince, he scored 75 when nobody else went past 70 in division one except Gareth Berg (75*).

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Inject some youth, bring in Dan Lawrence and Joe Clarke. Hoping billy root gets a few matches this season to gauge what sort of prospect he is.

S.Kennedy

What an uninspiring bunch were interviewed for this selectors' job: Ed Smith, Derek Pringle, Mike Selvey and Mick Newell! Surely there are people more qualified? Two of them have three international caps. One of them has no international caps. Two of them are Middlesex, Straussy ''jobs for the boys'' types. One of them has already been a failure as a selector.