• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
I like the look of Cook too. Definitely worth a go in England and has an outstanding FC record. I’d also keep Fisher around the squad. If Carse and Garton get over their injury issues, they should be in the conversation - especially as we’re looking for a point of difference (fast and/or left-arm).

If we’re set on moving on from Broad and Anderson, we need to give these players a fair crack.

Spin-wise, I’m keeping an eye on Patterson-White at Notts. Seems a good all-round prospect.
I thought the selection for the WI was baffling. Why pick Fisher ahead of any number of other country trundlers with more experience and better records? Jamie Porter must be mighty pissed off for one. Cook for another.

Who knows, we may already have a world-class spinner in Parkinson, but we won't find out because they never pick him. There are some other promising young spinners around though -- Moriarty and Virdi at Surrey, Carson at Sussex, Critchley now at Essex, etc. And there's still plenty of life in Simon Kerrigan.

Is Garton really a potential England player? His record is pretty modest and whenever I've seen him he sprays it everywhere. David Payne and Luke Wood look better prospects to me, if we're after a left-armer.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All talk about future England spin bowlers is pointless while Root is still captain. I personally don't think Parkinson will play a test, or more than a couple at the very best, because of Root's inability to handle spinners and the continued selection attitude that the primary factor for selecting them is their batting and not their bowling. With all the talk of resetting things a new captain is needed for multiple reasons.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasn't there a shield player who was doing an impersonation of bumrah recently when the game was heading for a draw?
I can forgive that, don't have an issue with the Cook impersonation either. As I said, it was the compilation of horrendous declaration "bowling" that disgusted me, that someone then thought it would be a good idea to post on County Championship social media as an advertisement for the competition. It was literally blokes running in and lobbing 12 foot high double bouncers that barely made it to the other end. Bad enough that it was happening but then to go and parade it around facebook is what really got me

Tom Flint

International Regular
You literally said, if this happened in the shield you would be livid.
I was just giving an example of when this did happen in the shield. 2 weeks ago. In the final

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You literally said, if this happened in the shield you would be livid.
I was just giving an example of when this did happen in the shield. 2 weeks ago. In the final
Might want to have another crack at reading that because I didn't say that at all. Again, it was the compilation of the declaration bowling that got me. Never had an issue with an impersonation here or there

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The “declaration bowling” was common place in the 70’s and 80’s in particular in County Cricket. The matches were three days and if after two days of competitive cricket it was heading for a certain draw or a lot of time was lost to the weather the captains got together and agreed a 4th innings target and do the necessary to set it up. Even worse would follow if the chasing team were behind the rate and settling for the draw the bowling team would serve up the “declaration bowling” to entice them back into the chase. It was awful to watch, luckily there weren’t often cameras around County matches in those days.
If the captains couldn’t agree a target and the game was petering out Javed Miandad did a decent Dennis Lillee impression.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Time up for both Jimmy and Broad..I mean if not now when? 40+

If all fit England have a good new gen bowling line up of Archer, Mahmood, Wood/Robinson. The big miss is a world class spinner.
When? When they're not the two best/consistent bowlers in the country. Which they still are, and the Ashes exhibited that.

None of those guys you mentioned are world class or consistently fit.

Age means jack ****. These guys are fitter and better managed than ever before. Neither Broad nor Anderson plays franchise cricket or any other form for England in donkeys years. No one should give 3 ****s about age. Do England want to win tests now? Apparently not. And they can play those guys and still bring through the Mahmoods, Robinson etc. Woakes isn't a spring chicken, is **** overseas but still went. England's whole mentality is ****house.