• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Doesn't do himself any favours there.

Haven't seen the full interview so I don't know if he explained how a crock like Archer gets a contract over Willey.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Jeez that's horrific.

Willey has always been dicked around by the selectors though. They always played him as a bowler who could bat a bit when he had the potential to be a real all-rounder.
To be fair that’s on him RE batting position. Largely horrendous with the bat, always tried to hit it too hard, whenever he got a chance to try make a score.

This game is why Woakes cemented himself above Willey.

Even though domestically miles ahead of Woakes as white ball batsman, really should have batted top 6 if he played to his ability.

Obviously he got completely shafted by ECB changing their rules to fast track Archer ahead of 2019 and then him making way for Archer. Albeit Archer was excellent and the decision vindicated.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Not often I disagree with you but England's top order in the glory days was 2 or 3 of Roy, Bairstow, Hales. Only Bairstow was any cop in Tests and even then he wasn't always part of the red ball setup over those years.
It's a fair point you make - we very much did separate the test team from the ODI one.

We tended to try successful ODI players in tests - Roy, Hales, Morgan, Buttler - and it never really worked.

I still think that that we should go down the test batsmen route in ODIs at the top of the order even if it does go against what made us successful under Morgan.

I think players like Salt and Jacks may well get their chance at the top of the order ahead of the test players but personally I'd go with Duckett, Crawley and Pope as my top 3.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
It's a fair point you make - we very much did separate the test team from the ODI one.

We tended to try successful ODI players in tests - Roy, Hales, Morgan, Buttler - and it never really worked.

I still think that that we should go down the test batsmen route in ODIs at the top of the order even if it does go against what made us successful under Morgan.

I think players like Salt and Jacks may well get their chance at the top of the order ahead of the test players but personally I'd go with Duckett, Crawley and Pope as my top 3.
Pope instead of Hain is poor by the selectors and stinks of rank favouritism.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Pope instead of Hain is poor by the selectors and stinks of rank favouritism.
Hain has a fine 50 over record and certainly should be in the mix.

I would have him in the ODI squad for the W Indies - we need to look at all our options and I'm sure he'll get his chance.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Hain has a fine 50 over record and certainly should be in the mix.

I would have him in the ODI squad for the W Indies - we need to look at all our options and I'm sure he'll get his chance.
The third highest of all time. It was the highest when they inexplicably didn't pick him during that COVID ravaged Pakistan series. It's dropped slightly below Bevan and Gaikwad has played more recently.

Yet for some reason picked Vince again at 3, who was never going to replace Root so why bother.

Molehill

International Captain
Hain would literally play the role Kohli has in this World Cup so well. There must be some other kind of reason he hasn't been picked.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
There must be some other kind of reason he hasn't been picked.
In an ideal world, maybe. But in reality I think that a lazy favouritism in the selectors sadly explains it well enough. He's had that huge white ball average for years, but he was also scoring at a much quicker rate this summer (struck at 155s in the Hundred for example). I think he's just been pigeon-holed as an unglamorous accumulator which is a) unfair on him and b) wouldn't even be a bad thing anyway seeing as we've been bowled out in most of our ODIs recently.

Molehill

International Captain
In an ideal world, maybe. But in reality I think that a lazy favouritism in the selectors sadly explains it well enough. He's had that huge white ball average for years, but he was also scoring at a much quicker rate this summer (struck at 155s in the Hundred for example). I think he's just been pigeon-holed as an unglamorous accumulator which is a) unfair on him and b) wouldn't even be a bad thing anyway seeing as we've been bowled out in most of our ODIs recently.
I get why he's not been selected up till now, it's been tough to break into that squad. But there's a clear out happening, he did well against Ireland, he's got the best averages, how he's not in ahead of Pope is beyond me.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I get why he's not been selected up till now, it's been tough to break into that squad. But there's a clear out happening, he did well against Ireland, he's got the best averages, how he's not in ahead of Pope is beyond me.
He should have been picked in 2021 for the CVOID ravaged pakistan series.

Vince selection was utterly pointless. As was picking Simpson and Gregory as it's transpired since.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He should have been picked in 2021 for the CVOID ravaged pakistan series.

Vince selection was utterly pointless. As was picking Simpson and Gregory as it's transpired since.
Well different selectors, but Gregory will have one of the great series to since been totally discarded on.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Well different selectors, but Gregory will have one of the great series to since been totally discarded on.
He'd have been a better shout than Livingstone/Moeen this World Cup so not sure why I included him.

As I thought he looked very good(as did Vince but he was never replacing Root whereas Hain could)

Guess I just thought I didn't see England selecting him again due to Moeen, Livingstone, Curran, Woakes ahead in that 6-8 role

ImpatientLime

International Regular
3 wins in 10 tests v Australia and India. Root and Silverwood could have achieved that. this is the same **** rebranded.

one of the top three richest boards but continue to produce absolutely mid players compared to the other two members of the big three and lurch from bad result to bad result.

been quite the twelve months all the way back to that clown car collapse in Wellington, the great moral victory of the English summer, the dismal surrender at the world cup and now this group of players eager to get out of India as quick as they can

Third_Man

U19 Vice-Captain
From the Indian series thread:
Positives for England :

Quality opening partnership confirmed
Stokes captaincy
Two promising young spinners for the future

Negatives:
Poor middle order contributions
Seamers were below par
Weren't brave enough to drop underperforming batsmen
Poor handling of the media
The seamers didn't bowl that much but Robinson must have progressed in the next to be discarded list. Wood took all his four wickets in one innings despite playing three matches but is never likely to play a whole series.
That's leaves the door open for Anderson, Potts and the other injury prone pace bowlers such as Tongue, Mahmood and Stone even Archer.
How many tests will Anderson play over the forthcoming English summer? Enough to reach 1000 international wickets?