• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A in the Duleep Trophy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
If Tredwell is not of county standard, how could he pick 4 wickets for not too many? And how could Prior and Napier get more than 50?
Because no-one does poorly every game. Even I bowl well occasionally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Interestingly, nobody has asked this question: who do you want to go to India instead? A bunch of 30-year-olds, or other promising youngsters - and what would their names be?

(oh, incidentally, don't let Michael Lumb anywhere near the England team...)
I'd prefer the promising youngsters - sadly, there aren't many of them in the present party.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
I'd prefer the promising youngsters - sadly, there aren't many of them in the present party.
I ask again. What would their names be, if you were to pick an England A team to go to India?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I know that, don't taken everything so literally, was just having a laugh and getting a bit enthusiastic. Anyway speed isn't a bad thing just not the only thing,obviously. Surely it's better to have 90mph line and length than 80mph line and length, i'd have thought so anyway. Seems to be working for Jones at the moment anyway.
If your comment wasn't altogether serious mine has no signficance - but lots of people seem to get far too excited about 90 mph pace. It's no good without line and length. But of course 90 mph line and length is better than 80 mph line and length. Not many people can do that, though, and so most 90 mph bowlers aren't really much use.
I have serious doubts about Jones' real ability with the line and length. Let's just wait until he plays a few more games. His First-Class career is very limited.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
This hasn't come from my mouth, it's just random rumours. All i was pointing out that mahmood had been bowling better (in terms of results) than Jones, hence the question was raised as to why he wasn't the one going to the west indies. And stats aren't everything.:)
Bloody rumours.
Mahmood most certainly hasn't been bowling better, anyway. There's only been 2 First-Class games, Jones took 10 in one and everyone got hammered in the other.
No, stats aren't everything as far as the judgement of ability is concerned, but for selection, they're everything. You can't just turn to someone and say "you had 150 against your name in the last game but you were dropped 6 times so we're not going to count it and you're still going to be dropped".

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, unbelievably England 'A' allowed the South Zone to score 500 runs and they lost the match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not unbelievable at all given the quality of the attack they put out.
Still a bit of a surprise, but not the massive shock some have made it out to be.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Not unbelievable at all given the quality of the attack they put out.
Still a bit of a surprise, but not the massive shock some have made it out to be.
Well when you have Tredwell and Pietersen "spearheading" your spin attack, you know there are some problems....

Is it just me, or do either Lumb or Kadeer Ali always seem to get ducks?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
I ask again. What would their names be, if you were to pick an England A team to go to India?
A true England A would include (amongst others) these:
David Fulton, Richard Montgomerie, Ed Smith, Robert Key, Matthew Windows.
Sadly, the actual point, the Academy squad touring as England A, is IMO a complete waste of time. It'll only give a more immidiate (and slightly more compelling, as you can't give the "you can't trust county cricket" rubbish it's run-out) show that most of this squad is complete rubbish.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
If your comment wasn't altogether serious mine has no signficance - but lots of people seem to get far too excited about 90 mph pace. It's no good without line and length. But of course 90 mph line and length is better than 80 mph line and length. Not many people can do that, though, and so most 90 mph bowlers aren't really much use.
I have serious doubts about Jones' real ability with the line and length. Let's just wait until he plays a few more games. His First-Class career is very limited.
Most true, and most obvious.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Bloody rumours.
Mahmood most certainly hasn't been bowling better, anyway. There's only been 2 First-Class games, Jones took 10 in one and everyone got hammered in the other.
No, stats aren't everything as far as the judgement of ability is concerned, but for selection, they're everything. You can't just turn to someone and say "you had 150 against your name in the last game but you were dropped 6 times so we're not going to count it and you're still going to be dropped".
I was only referring to the interest in Mahmood due to his form in the limited overs' matches before the 2 4-day games, which was better than Jones'.
And stats clearly aren't the only guideline to selection especially for an 'a' side which in this case seems to be looking at a youth selection policy rather than the second best england XI. I don't know whether this is the best route to take. If selection was based on FC records then the likes of Hick and Ramp's would be there perhaps.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lang's England A side.... Regardless of central contracts...

1. D Fulton
2. R Montgomerie
3. D Sales
4. K Pietersen
5. E Smith
6. I Bell
7. G Jones
8. G Batty
9. R Johnson
10. J Kirtley
11. S Harmison

Why does this look nothing like the present bunch of no-hopers? (pietersen and smith aside)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Personally I see mentality as being a far bigger differential than ability when it comes to International level.

Take Rajin Saleh for example - not talented even by Bangladeshi standards, but excellent application.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:

Take Rajin Saleh for example - not talented even by Bangladeshi standards, but excellent application.
I guess a guy like Graham Hick would be at the other end of the spectrum....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I was only referring to the interest in Mahmood due to his form in the limited overs' matches before the 2 4-day games, which was better than Jones'.
And stats clearly aren't the only guideline to selection especially for an 'a' side which in this case seems to be looking at a youth selection policy rather than the second best england XI. I don't know whether this is the best route to take. If selection was based on FC records then the likes of Hick and Ramp's would be there perhaps.
Not if Test averages were also considered.
But it was only ever going to be the Academy squad taking on the England A guise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Personally I see mentality as being a far bigger differential than ability when it comes to International level.

IMO no batting application - not enough talent for Test level.
Not that I think Saleh is really worth a place in Bangladesh's sides.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Lang's England A side.... Regardless of central contracts...

1. D Fulton
2. R Montgomerie
3. D Sales
4. K Pietersen
5. E Smith
6. I Bell
7. G Jones
8. G Batty
9. R Johnson
10. J Kirtley
11. S Harmison

Why does this look nothing like the present bunch of no-hopers? (pietersen and smith aside)
IMO Fulton, Monty, Sales, Bell, Jones, Johnson and Kirtley are all very talented.
I'd much prefer Lewry to Harmison, though, and certainly I'd prefer Brown to Batty, regardless of batting ability.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
IMO no batting application - not enough talent for Test level.
Not that I think Saleh is really worth a place in Bangladesh's sides.
Twelve innings; five scores of 40-plus..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know this England 'A' team is more of an Academy side, but they've still got a bit of experience in that team & have been in India for awhile now to know what the pitches generally play like.

500 in 1 day against a South Zone team with only a few recognised players is a poor effort by any team.

Luckily Pieterson scored some runs or else this could have been a decent hiding, and as Marc has pointed out before...Pietersen isn't even British yet.