• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A in Bangladesh

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Now...did he commit himself to England because he got promised to get selected for this A tour, or did the selectors pick him because they pitied the poor chap who's abandoned his country of birth?
Makes perfect sense given our fetish for big quicks who struggle to land the ball on the square. :p

Does sorta make me wonder what mileage there is for Denmark or Ireland in producing quality players if we're gonna nick 'em at the first opportunity tho. :huh:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The full Bangladesh side would destroy that England A side on home turf. Period.

The last A side put out, against Zimbabwe A in Fatullah: Javed Omar, Jahurul Islam, Rajin Saleh, Tushar Imran (c), Marshall Ayub, Alok Kapali, Saghir Hossain (wk), Tapash Baisya, Mohammad Sharif, Enamul Haque jnr, Mohammad Shahzada.

Seven internationals there. The Dhaka Premier League, which is the most important one-day competition in the calendar (not sure why it can't have List A status TBH), is due to start on January 10 and I guess any big performers might get a shot. This is also sandwiched in between the Zimbabwe tour and the World Cup, so the selectors may well use the games to give extra practice to certain members of the full squad.

Uttam could play in the warm-up match, unlikely to play in the A team matches given the sudden flood of openers (Javed Omar, Mehrab Hossain jnr, Jahurul Islam, Nazmus Sadat, Gazi Salahuddin, Junaid Siddique), unless he can produce something big for Kalabagan in the next month. Plus his bowling hasn't had much exposure recently.

As ever, the Bangladesh Domestic Season Thread will be providing full coverage of the series.

EDIT: Broad scares me though, at the same team exciting me. He's the only real threat in the bowling attack, save perhaps Rashid.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Strong bowling side for England 'A'. Broad, Smith and Rashid could all be in the full England test squad in a few years.

Not too sure about the batting though. Davies has promise, but the other batters are pretty much crap. I cant believe that Carberry has got in, or Compton.

I was very surprised Yardy got left out of the one dayers in Australia, he seemed to settle in well last year, and as mentioned earlier, this does seem to be a very one-day oriented squad.

Jungle Jumbo

Funny to think as a fairly passionate Englishman that I wouldn't mind seeing Bangladesh A win here.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Davies has got to be in the Full England Squad, good to see Rashid in there
Well to be fair he's not done anything yet to warrent inclusion in the full squad. He showed some promise for Worcs at the back end of last season with some big scores, but he also got out alot for under 10 during that same period.

A good full season for Worcs next season and id expect him to at least become the backup keeper for next winters tours.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jungle Jimbo

What is the Dhaka Premier League? and i dont think it matters to England as its not really an A Side as it would have included Key,Foster, Shah, Kabir Ali, Solanki

Jungle Jumbo

Jungle Jimbo

What is the Dhaka Premier League? and i dont think it matters to England as its not really an A Side as it would have included Key,Foster, Shah, Kabir Ali, Solanki
Jungle Jumbo replies:

The Dhaka Premier League (DPL) is the longest running and most prestigious tournament in Bangladesh. As its name suggests, it's played between twelve Dhaka based clubs, with all the games being held in Dhaka before this year, when a couple of games will be held in Fatullah. Unlike the National League, the DPL does not have List A status, but does allow overseas players and in general players are more attached to their team. Because most players live in Dhaka, the NCL's intensity is slightly diluted as many of the players representing the lesser populated divisions are not from those areas, whereas in the DPL the players are often (but not always) attached to a club season after season, and with reason. There are twelve teams in the Premier League, with two (?) being relegated into Division One every year. I know next to nothing about Division One itself, and absolutely nothing about Division Two, since they're a pretty poor standard.

As I said, there are twelve DPL teams (Old DOHS SC, Mohammedan SC, Abahani Ltd, Biman Bangladesh Airlines, Young Pegasus, Indira Road, City Club, Partex, Kalabagan, Victoria SC, Brothers Union and Sonargaon Cricketers), which play each other in a round robin format of 50-overs-a-side one-day cricket. Following that, there is a super six stage (with no points carried through) to determine the winners and some relegation play-off fixtures to determine the teams relegated to Division One. This year, a Twenty20 tournament was scheduled for the first time, and was won by Mohammedan (details can be found in the thread, see sig) who beat DOHS, the favourites for the DPL proper, in the final.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
EDIT: Broad scares me though, at the same team exciting me. He's the only real threat in the bowling attack, save perhaps Rashid.
Think Broad will get hammered tbh, not seen anything from him to suggest he'd be anything but cannonfodder on flat pitches at the moment. Would be delighted to be proven wrong though.

Reckon Tom Smith will go well if he gets a chance.

Jungle Jumbo

Think Broad will get hammered tbh, not seen anything from him to suggest he'd be anything but cannonfodder on flat pitches at the moment. Would be delighted to be proven wrong though.

Reckon Tom Smith will go well if he gets a chance.
Broad's height will be the undoing of the Banglas. The pitches are often either total flatbeds or real minefields, and even the likes of Shahadat Hossain have caused real problems to some world class batsmen on the latter. Was flicking through some comments on the DPL Twenty20 final the other day on a Bangladeshi forum and these guys were salivating over Junaid Siddique's height as he made another half century.

"I reckon he's about five eight, could come in handy."
"Yeah, good to see some tall batsmen coming through."
<Someone posts a picture of Junaid>
"OMG! OMG! He's five ten, five eleven!"
"Six foot. He's massive. He's our saviour!"

cricman

International 12th Man
The Nat'l Team players can't play because they have to fly to Bemuda to play 2 ODI , 1 vs Canada and then 1 vs Bermuda and I think the Bermuda game is Feb 29th. With the WC warm up game March 6th vs NZ at Barbados. I don't think that they can fly back to BD just to play a game or 2

I'm pretty sure whatmore would prefer to play England A but I think BD will get used to the pitches in the West Indies by bowling Bermuda and Canada under 100 runs.

Jungle Jumbo

The Nat'l Team players can't play because they have to fly to Bemuda to play 2 ODI , 1 vs Canada and then 1 vs Bermuda and I think the Bermuda game is Feb 29th. With the WC warm up game March 6th vs NZ at Barbados. I don't think that they can fly back to BD just to play a game or 2

I'm pretty sure whatmore would prefer to play England A but I think BD will get used to the pitches in the West Indies by bowling Bermuda and Canada under 100 runs.
Can't remember hearing about those games against Bermuda and Canada. At least that gives the youngsters a chance though.