• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emerging Players Tournament 2009

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Australia have put up a fairly decent score against the South African's, Tsotsobe got hit around abit which is a surpirse. I was actually picking this AIS team to struggle in this tournament.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Batting Order

I was having a geez at the results for the Emerging Kiwi's team, thinking '**** me', what is up with this batting order :blink:
Opening with the Homme seems strange when they are booming big George Worker in at 6/7/8 and Jeet Raval in at 9, whom we know usually open in domestics.
Also, doesn't Kitchen Sink normally bat 4 and Williamson 5?

Surely something along the lines of
Code:
BJ Watling
GH Worker / JA Raval
* PG Fulton
AK Kitchen
KS Williamson
C de Grandhomme
† RA Young
NB Beard
N Wagner
TG Southee
LJ Shaw

TS Nethula / TT Davis / HK Bennett
would make more sense.

Fults seems to be doing his usual 'get bogged down, hit a boundary, throw it away' :dry:
Good to see Wagner amongst the wickets though, so keen for when he qualifies :cool:

(there seems to be a huge influx of new users from nz :detective)

Last edited:

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Um...... Fulton did hit a century today you know?

I agree with Worker and Raval, they should be opening. Williamson is a future number three batsmen, I'm pretty sure he will be playing there for ND this coming season, he's played all his junior cricket there.

Southee looked to have bounced back well today, and Nick Beard must of bowled really well to.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Heh at the time I posted, the scorecard on the Cricket Oz site hadn't been filled in, so I wasn't aware of his ton :cool:
Good on him though, but I'm not really confident in him being consistent.

I agree about Williamson, but Fults is the most experienced 3 of the two, so probably best to keep him there for this tournament considering the poor team performances thus far.

Davis seems to be unleashing sustained spells of prank bowling.

I see Guppy played too, was he in the original squad or has he been flown in overnight? :detective

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah Fulton is the skipper and the best FC batsman in that line up, so for trying to build as good a team as possible I'd have him at 3.

But yeah, not surprising we are struggling with the bat at times with such a wierd order.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa chased down 313 with balls to spare...

Thanks to a 50 odd ball 100 from there number 6, Farhaan Behardien.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Yeah Fulton is the skipper and the best FC batsman in that line up, so for trying to build as good a team as possible I'd have him at 3.

But yeah, not surprising we are struggling with the bat at times with such a wierd order.
Don't know why DeGrandhomme has been opening, he usually bats at 6-7 for Auckland in one day cricket doesn't he. I'd go

1.Worker
2.Raval/Watling
3.Fulton
4.Williamson
5.Kitchen
6.DeGrandhomme
7.Young
8.Beard
9.Southee
10.Wagner
11.Davis

Beard's a very decent bat though, he made a crap load of 100's for his school.

Flem274*

123/5
Don't know why DeGrandhomme has been opening, he usually bats at 6-7 for Auckland in one day cricket doesn't he. I'd go

1.Worker
2.Raval/Watling
3.Fulton
4.Williamson
5.Kitchen
6.DeGrandhomme
7.Young
8.Beard
9.Southee
10.Wagner
11.Davis

Beard's a very decent bat though, he made a crap load of 100's for his school.
Looks good to me. I'll be interested to see how Davis and Beard go. We know what Wagner and Southee are like, but those two are a bit more unknown.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Looks good to me. I'll be interested to see how Davis and Beard go. We know what Wagner and Southee are like, but those two are a bit more unknown.
I rate Beard very highly tbh, I've seen quite a lot of him and have been very impressed by his bowling development over the last two years. I'd say as soon as Vettori retires we will see Beard take his place.

Te Ahu Davis, ewwwwwww. I don't think to much of him though.

Flem274*

123/5
I rate Beard very highly tbh, I've seen quite a lot of him and have been very impressed by his bowling development over the last two years. I'd say as soon as Vettori retires we will see Beard take his place.

Te Ahu Davis, ewwwwwww. I don't think to much of him though.
Depends on who kicks the most ass. Patel and Nethula are probably the other most looked at guys and they're all more experienced, plus Nethula has that "leggie" tag, which always gets the excitement flowing.

I don't think much of Davis so far either, but at least he's on the park these days instead of hospital.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Depends on who kicks the most ass. Patel and Nethula are probably the other most looked at guys and they're all more experienced, plus Nethula has that "leggie" tag, which always gets the excitement flowing.

I don't think much of Davis so far either, but at least he's on the park these days instead of hospital.
It would be great if Nethula could up his game to the next level, it's probably going to take a couple more seasons though. He turns the ball quite a lot doesn't he, I remember seeing him on Cricket Company.

The thing with Davis is that he relies on pace to take wickets, and tbh he doesn't have that 150K speed at the moment. It would be good if he could get it back though.

Flem274*

123/5
It would be great if Nethula could up his game to the next level, it's probably going to take a couple more seasons though. He turns the ball quite a lot doesn't he, I remember seeing him on Cricket Company.

The thing with Davis is that he relies on pace to take wickets, and tbh he doesn't have that 150K speed at the moment. It would be good if he could get it back though.
Yeah, Davis's injuries have taken away what he seems to base his game on. Hence, time for line, length, swing and some pace.

Nethula looks pretty good, definitely a guy we need to go on these sorts of tours.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, Davis's injuries have taken away what he seems to base his game on. Hence, time for line, length, swing and some pace.

Nethula looks pretty good, definitely a guy we need to go on these sorts of tours.
Well Nethula was getting some cricket over in England in May/June this year, he was bowling quite well over there too, I think he was playing in the Surrey league. He picked up 2-3 five wicket hauls iirc.

I was reading up on the net around that time and a few people were impressed with him over there, said he has quite a bright future ahead of him.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
FFS, I just noticed the Cricinfo scorecard for the India vs NZ game has different bowling figures for Wagner and Beard compared to the NZ and Oz Cricket sites.
Cricinfo's figures add up to the total scored, but the other two don't.
They don't even have the extras applied to the bowlers :dry:

So Cricinfo says Wagner was bowling like a beast and Beard was throwing a few pies, and it's the reverse on the other two cards :blink:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

dhavalcoholic

Cricket Spectator
Xciting to see South Africa make it 6 outa 6 !!

Its great that we gotta great Bench Strength ! :)

Anyways.... dont u ppl think Philander was a bad choice by CSA??

He seemed ordinary with both Bat n Ball ! :(

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The batting order that New Zealand are playing does seem rather odd...still it was good that they finally picked up a win today. Also pleased to see that Nethula bowled well in yesterday's match.