• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elegant batsmen

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Younis Khan? very unaesthetic batsman.

This thread has reached it's nadir. Supposed to be about the upper echelon of elegant batsmen and now everyone is just naming their favourite players.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Younis Khan? very unaesthetic batsman.

This thread has reached it's nadir. Supposed to be about the upper echelon of elegant batsmen and now everyone is just naming their favourite players.
Haha, Younis is far from my favorite player, especially in this regard. I mentioned him because all my favorites were already being discussed.

He had a tendency to look ugly when not set or unsure of himself. Once set, I always thought his cover drives and sweeps were pretty great.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I've said this before but I think Jacques Kallis is very underrated when it comes to elegance.

vcs

Bit of an acquired taste. I started enjoying his batting more in his latter years, actually even his Test SR steadily went up towards the end of his career.

trundler

Jokes aside, Kallis's driving was very good. Great off the back foot visually also.

trundler

If we're getting down to individual shots, Ponting's hook and Lara's square cut for me.

Burgey

Kim Hughes worth a mention in this thread too. Played some beautiful shots - the one knee cover drive and the lay-back square slash off the quicks were awesome. Jeez he was a good player.

the big bambino

International Captain
Mark Waugh was my favourite to watch. I’d buy film of him batting. Watching him made me look forward to playing the game. VVS was superb as was Vengsarkar and G Chappell. Another Indian of Vengsarkar era was even more elegant imo. Pudgy little guy Gundappa Viswanath. Played the best cover drive I’ve seen: off Thomo. I was watching with a mate and we both turned to each other and said “Shot!”

MrPrez

International Debutant
Jokes aside, Kallis's driving was very good. Great off the back foot visually also.
Yeah I'm aware many found him boring due to his slow SR, but this was strictly about elegance rather than entertainment. The former of which he oozed, imo.

Burgey

Mark Waugh was my favourite to watch. I’d buy film of him batting. Watching him made me look forward to playing the game. VVS was superb as was Vengsarkar and G Chappell. Another Indian of Vengsarkar era was even more elegant imo. Pudgy little guy Gundappa Viswanath. Played the best cover drive I’ve seen: off Thomo. I was watching with a mate and we both turned to each other and said “Shot!”
Yep Vishy was a terrific player. The Indian side which came out here during wsc had some guns. Bedi, Chandra, Gavaskar, Syed Kirmani was the keeper iirc and he was a top glove man too. I saw Bedi clean a few of our blokes up at the Sydney test in 77/78. Was quality. Had the purest action for a finger spinner.

Burgey

Well he had a point tbf.

But Trundler, you really ought to summons ***** to rule on whether your diversion of the thread to Murali’s action is permissible. He’ll be sure to let you know what he thinks.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yep Vishy was a terrific player. The Indian side which came out here during wsc had some guns. Bedi, Chandra, Gavaskar, Syed Kirmani was the keeper iirc and he was a top glove man too. I saw Bedi clean a few of our blokes up at the Sydney test in 77/78. Was quality. Had the purest action for a finger spinner.
Now if this thread was about elegant bowlers then Bedi would be my favourite to watch. Chandra was class. Took a heap at Melbourne on that tour i think. Bowled quick leggies and had a decent away record.