• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I was initially apathetic but this has triggered off so many cricket journos online and on Twitter with self-righteous "what has the game come to?" moans I hope this is a sensational success.

Borges

International Regular
How do we get the football crowd to watch cricket?

By making the laws of the game even more complicated than they are at present.
I suppose that the ludicrous MCC would make themselves look even more ludicrous than they have been till now by sitting up like an obedient lap dog and instantly amending the rules.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Virtually no one cares about women's cricket. Witness the women's cricket thread on this very forum which has had 200 posts in 14 years, most of which are about tennis.
No one caring about it, while true, is actually superior to the way some women's sports are viewed. AFLW in Australia for example . . . I'm sure they'd be very happy if people stopped caring about it

Borges

International Regular
Clearly the cricket boards do care about women's cricket. Very deeply.
Following the lead of CA, every board is now going to justify every questionable decision that they take by claiming that it is done to promote women's cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
Virtually no one cares about women's cricket. Witness the women's cricket thread on this very forum which has had 200 posts in 14 years, most of which are about tennis.
That's why it needs to be promoted

Furthermore, the main target audience for women's cricket is, unsurprisingly, women. You want to get the other 50% of the human population more interested in cricket? Maybe start by making it easier for them to play and more accessible for them to watch other women playing it on TV.

The success of a Women's Cricket thread on a male dominated forum is irrelevant to what they're trying to achieve.

Borges

International Regular
the main target audience for women's cricket is, unsurprisingly, women.
From what I've seen - admittedly, an extremely limited sample size and all that - women like to watch men's cricket far more than they like to watch women's cricket.
Its just like in tennis: while many men watch women's tennis, most women prefer watching men's tennis.

cnerd123

likes this
From what I've seen - admittedly, an extremely limited sample size and all that - women like to watch men's cricket far more than they like to watch women's cricket.
Its just like in tennis: while many men watch women's tennis, most women prefer watching men's tennis.
People will prefer to watch what they grow up seeing. People will also watch whatever everyone else is watching, and what is more covered/accessible.

The point that women's cricket isn't as popular right now doesn't mean anything. What's more meaningful is how much women's cricket has come along in the last decade - in terms of support, media coverage, professionalism and on-field skills

_Ed_

People will prefer to watch what they grow up seeing. People will also watch whatever everyone else is watching, and what is more covered/accessible.

The point that women's cricket isn't as popular right now doesn't mean anything. What's more meaningful is how much women's cricket has come along in the last decade - in terms of support, media coverage, professionalism and on-field skills
Case in point: https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/04/...te-ferns-as-they-wrap-up-a-sparkling-campaign

Daemon

Yeah it's strange we're having this conversation now given that 2017 was probably the greatest year for women's cricket in ages. The Ashes and World Cup were very well timed and covered.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah it's strange we're having this conversation now given that 2017 was probably the greatest year for women's cricket in ages. The Ashes and World Cup were very well timed and covered.
It's almost ironic in a way, because if women's cricket really didn't matter, then we wouldn't even be having a conversation about if it matters or not

The mere fact that people acknowledge it's existence and talk about it shows how far it has come from the days of being a novelty.

Borges

International Regular
It's almost ironic in a way, because if women's cricket really didn't matter, then we wouldn't even be having a conversation about if it matters or not
The point we are discussing is this unsubstantiated, whimsical assertion: " the main target audience for women's cricket is, unsurprisingly, women."

The target audience for women's cricket is, unsurprisingly, both men and women. If we want to talk about a "main" target audience, that is, again unsurprisingly, men. IMNSHO.

cnerd123

likes this
the point we are discussing is this unsubstantiated, whimsical assertion: " the main target audience for women's cricket is, unsurprisingly, women."

the target audience for women's cricket is, unsurprisingly, both men and women. If we want to talk about a "main" target audience, that is, again unsurprisingly, men. Imnsho.
imnsho?

TheJediBrah

Clearly the cricket boards do care about women's cricket. Very deeply.
Following the lead of CA, every board is now going to justify every questionable decision that they take by claiming that it is done to promote women's cricket.
The issue isn't that the boards don't care about it, as you said they clearly care a lot about it. They're sinking huge amounts of money into promoting it and encouraging it in the hopes it will be an investment for the future. If I understand correctly it's being televised at a massive net loss of money, and the players are earning far more than they are actually generating as revenue.

The issue is that the fans don't really care about it, which is what the boards are trying to change so that it might be profitable one day.

TheJediBrah

The other thing is that I think the quality of women's international cricket has improved significantly. I still haven't really watched much of it, but it doesn't seem to sicken me as much as it used to. Maybe I've just grown as a person.

In my not so humble opinion?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see how it's going to solve the length and pacing problems that have supposedly cropped up in the T20 game(??!!?). There's still going to be a yawning chasm between balls as the captain moves deep forward square leg thirty-two centimetres towards towards the westward end of the non-striker's popping crease while the batsman marks his guard for the fifteenth time. T20's cricket/time ratio is by far the worst of any format. Want to fit it into a shorter broadcasting window? Get through the overs quicker. And change back to the pre-2000 rule on boundaries so we don't have to see if a fielder's foot slightly brushed the rope.

As for the idea that's coming up that overs are somehow too complicated for a general audience I'd like to point to tennis' scoring system.

cnerd123

likes this
TJB is correct.

To add on to what he is saying - this investment isn't being made to get existing cricket fans to watch even more cricket. There is already a lot of cricket for us to watch. We only have so much time to dedicate to the sport. We aren't going to stop watching men's cricket and watch Women's instead. The CW Thread is a perfect example of that.

What they are investing in is getting new people who don't already watch cricket to watch it instead of other sports/TV shows/forms of entertainment. And who might those people be? Some men sure. Some kids too. But mostly women. That's who they're trying to convert.

Those of us who already watch a lot of cricket are not going to watch even more cricket just because it's now women playing it to a lower standard. That's ridiculous. We aren't the audience for this. The audience is women who don't already follow the sport. And they hope that, in time, the level of cricket in the women's game gets to the point where actual cricket fans will watch it just because it's so good - like we currently have with women's tennis, golf, mma, etc.

Victor Ian

International Coach
If I liked to watch inferior cricket I'd watch my local league. Women's cricket only matters as much as 'our women are better than yours' and 'there is nothing else on'. When a woman is as good as a man - it happens - it's a shame she has to play in a women's league instead of the top league.

Borges

International Regular
T20's cricket/time ratio is by far the worst of any format. Want to fit it into a shorter broadcasting window? Get through the overs quicker.
The broadcasters are never going to allow a higher cricket/time ratio. They decide how cricket (in which they are interested) should be run

As for the idea that's coming up that overs are somehow too complicated for a general audience I'd like to point to tennis' scoring system.
Yeah, that is a good point.