• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duck Season

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot is made of Joe Burns's recent run of poor form, highlighted by 2 recent ducks against India. Because of this, it is easy to forget that Burns has 1379 Test runs to his name at a reasonably good average of 38.3

Burns isn't the the first, and won't be the last, Test player to experience a form slump. One of the more memorable was that of Greg Chappell who made 7 ducks in a season, including, I believe, 4 in a row.

Perhaps CW members can recall other form slumps.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Mohinder Amarnath suffered quite a slump against W.Indies in 1983 with 5 ducks separated by 1 single, for an avg. of 0.16 (This after hammering them for almost 600 runs at 66 avg about a year ago)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Read the title in new posts and thought this thread was going to be a gastronomical discussion of gourmet duck preparations. Disappointed tstl.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
This is just wrong. Chappell had a duck season in 1981/82 but it was still a season of: 26, 2, 201, 22, 0, 0, 6, 12, 0, 61, 7
I believe it also included the one-day matches, as ought to be clear from the video.

In date order, tests bold:

22, 6, 3, 1, 201, 38, 22, 0, 0, 0, 0, 6, 12, 0, 35, 59, 36, 61, 0, 4, 1, 0, 10, 61, 7

Which I believe you'll find is seven, including four in a row.

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Another thing is that Chappell had a first-class average of 35.46 that season* over fifteen innings. Not so flash, but Burns is currently on 6.8 after nine.

*Below Trevor, incidentally

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I seem to recall there was a lot of chatter about Tubby Taylor's spot in the test side before the 97 Ashes, more than some of it from Greg's big bro, due to a run of X innings without a 50 (or possibly a 100).

Of course he scored a ton in the first test, albeit in a losing cause, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Keith Arthurton had a horrendous ODI season in 96 with scores of 1 0 0 1 0 which earned him the moniker of the ' binary batsman '

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone seems to be avoiding mentioning David Warner. Whether Burns will halt his slump by making over 500 runs before being dismissed I rather doubt.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ben Stokes had a torrid season with the bat early in his international career circa 2014 when Peter Moores had him batting at 8. Pretty sure he got several ducks and a number of single digit scores when India toured, across both Tests and ODIs. It took a long time for his batting average to recover to something vaguely respectable.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
2014 was certainly an ordinary year for Stokes with the bat. His 5 Test innings yielded just 79 runs (thanks to a 47) @ 15.8 and included 3 ducks. He was marginally better in ODIs (13 innings 195 @ 16.2 with 3 ducks and a face saving 70).