• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duanne Olivier Goes Kolpak with Yorkshire

Niall

International Coach
£100,000 is honestly not an awesome salary to give up playing international cricket for. It's what a consultant doctor makes in the government hospitals in the NHS. Plus, after 5 years he won't be hot property any more and his pay might go down. It's all a bit silly in my opinion. Steyn and Philander are unlikely to last more than 2 more years in international cricket so he was definitely one of the next in line.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that only white SA players are leaving to England. This might be controversial, but I honestly think a large part of it is that there seems to be more loyalty towards the nation amongst the black cricketers in South Africa than the white cricketers. Partly also to do with the quota system, but honestly wouldn't really apply to Duanne so much. The other bowlers in the ranks are Ngidi and Rabada, and there's also Bavuma in the batting set up. For the "coloured" quota there's also Maharaj, Amla, etc.

Plus now he won't be able to play in the IPL. Pretty much every other major South African international plays in the IPL and their seasons don't collide unlike the English county season. He could get £400k+ in the IPL in 2 months! Even from a monetary standpoint this doesn't make sense to me.

IPL is very selective as are many of the other leagues, unlikely he would be picked up.

I dunno if the white guys are not as patriotic, the lads who left for the most part did not have the option to play domestic leagues making fortunes and been content with limited opportunities such as Morris.

Rilee and possibly Ingram ?.

Regarding non white players, I dunno what players the counties would want who do not have the options that Morris has.

Philander is the only one I can think of, not good enough for the t20 circuit but could make a nice living in the County Championship.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Also, someone mentioned earlier that only white SA players are leaving to England. This might be controversial, but I honestly think a large part of it is that there seems to be more loyalty towards the nation amongst the black cricketers in South Africa than the white cricketers.
Why would that be you think?

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jason Holder chimes in:

"It's really sad to see another quality player lost to Kolpak cricket," Holder said. "Until something is properly done to keep players a little bit more grounded financially I don't know how much longer you can continue putting up the front.

"People still want to see international cricket being at the forefront. I just think, going forward, we need to find a way to keep players playing for their country so we can have an attractive product.

"Probably the ICC and FICA needs to get together and institute a substantial minimum salary so that players will feel comfortable coming home to represent their country.
Jason Holder calls for minimum wage to halt Kolpak exodus | ESPNcricinfo.com

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Holder would know better than most, WI are probably hit harder than any other country when it comes to losing players due to insufficient wages