• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duanne Olivier Goes Kolpak with Yorkshire

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is sad as ****. His test record is looking insanely good. Potential amazing test career ended too early
Yes, I recently made a post that the top 7 pace bowlers of SA are now averaging less than 22. Sadly, that count reduces to 6 now.

MrPrez

International Debutant
This is sad as ****. His test record is looking insanely good. Potential amazing test career ended too early
I reckon he would have been found out on tougher pitches for pace bowlers. Relies quite heavily on pace and bounce.

Not sure he would have had a decent series in India, for example.

Nonetheless, clearly a quality pace bowler. In a weird way, at least he's South African - meaning that the loss to his country is significantly lower than if he were from a nation without a pace bowling cupboard stocked with talented pacers.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah they produced some stat in the test series against SL that like 75% of his wickets came from short balls lol

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
I highly doubt he'd reverse his decision. It's not only money; many South Africans like the idea of moving to England, period.

Also, with guys like Nortje, Ngidi, and Sipambla coming through, he's unlikely to ever be in a situation when he comes back and is a definite in the starting XI. That ship will have sailed while he plays in England.
many South Africans like the idea of moving out of South Africa, period.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smart move by Yorkshire that's for sure - is there so little money to be made from the game in South Africa?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
is there so little money to be made from the game in South Africa?
No real 'living' money until you hit franchise level.... which is 7 teams in the country. FC level depending on your ability can be semi-professional or a youngster getting paid with potential. At SA contract level you start getting what is a pretty good salary comparable to a top county cricketer. This is why the attempt at getting a T20 international franchise system going in SA has become so important, trying to make sure enough money can get to the fringe players to stay within SA.

As for Duanne... if he was available for just about any other national team he would probably be one of their three pacers, in SA not so much. He has been the proverbial next in line for about the last 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
No real 'living' money until you hit franchise level.... which is 7 teams in the country. FC level depending on your ability can be semi-professional or a youngster getting paid with potential. At SA contract level you start getting what is a pretty good salary comparable to a top county cricketer. This is why the attempt at getting a T20 international franchise system going in SA has become so important, trying to make sure enough money can get to the fringe players to stay within SA.

As for Duanne... if he was available for just about any other national team he would probably be one of their three pacers, in SA not so much. He has been the proverbial next in line for about the last 3-4 years.
I reckon he left for the money. Fair enough.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Many white South Africans....
Not totally true.... percentage wise yes, absolute numbers not so much, it has to do with opportunity and money.

I reckon he left for the money. Fair enough.
I reckon he left for the long term money and long term security of that money. He probably is not getting much more than he was getting for the SA contract offered him, but keeping the SA contract was less secure than the opportunity provided by county cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Smart move by Yorkshire that's for sure - is there so little money to be made from the game in South Africa?
Guardian reckons he'll be on £150,000 a year, which at the current exchange rate is around 2.7m Rand per year, guaranteed for 3 years.

I have no idea how much central contracts will be in South Africa, but I'd imagine it's the guarantee of a 3 year deal that's swung it for him. I believe that he's a fairly recent international, as impressive a start as he's had there's no guarantee he'd continue to be as good or be in the side in a year's time.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently it is R2 to R2.5 million rand for SA lower end contracts, + much fees, but as you say it was only 2 years offered by SA versus 3 years.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
In an interview, I heard Steyn say he got paid 2500 Rand (£135) for a club cricket match .That must have been the exception due to his talents, but I wonder how much a SA FC player would make?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He may have thought that he wouldn't be able to hold his place in the international team for long surely. Or he really wants to live in England

Woodster

International Captain
Very mixed feelings on this one, it's a very good signing for Yorkshire to get a current in form Test player, they must have felt they needed some additional quality and experience in their ranks having lost Jack Brooks and Liam Plunkett.

From a general cricketing perspective it is quite surprising, and sad, to see Olivier turn his back on international cricket when he currently occupies a spot in the Test XI and has enjoyed a start to his Test career that I'd imagine surpassed even his own expectations. At only 26 aswell!

The uncertainty over Brexit must play its part here with uncertainty over what is going to happen when we leave the EU, Olivier may want that security before the risk of having it taken away becomes ever more real. It's difficult to be overly critical of Olivier, sport tends to be a short career and he clearly wants to earn what he can for the future which is entirely his prerogative.

It is sad that players don't want to play as much Test cricket as possible (and that is still a lucrative trade) before then seeking these financial boosts, similar to what Morne Morkel has done.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It is sad that players don't want to play as much Test cricket as possible (and that is still a lucrative trade) before then seeking these financial boosts, similar to what Morne Morkel has done.
How much more Test cricket would he have played for SA? With Mulder likely coming into the team, SA are unlikely to go with a 4 man pace attack again even in SA. And with Ngidi and Nortje hot on his heals any little injury could instantly end his international career. His best hope for a longer Test career was that both Steyn and Philander retire before the Eng series this summer. He was likely going to play 6 to 10 tests over the next 2 years and spend the rest of the time on the bench. And he also does not play the shorter formats much either.

What you talking about is more Rossouw, who was becoming a permanent fixture in the LO sides and would probably have been in the Test team instead of de Bruyn,