• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drop Shewag and Yuvraj ?

NikhilN

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Playing McGrath is *slightly* different to bullying no-marks on Ranji featherbeds. What credentials does Yuvraj have that Sehwag hasn't?
Not playing stupid shots

masterblaster

International Captain
Jaffer opening for India?

You have got to be joking. He's a domestic wonderbat, an International wonderflop nothing more, nothingless.

Sehwag and Chopra is my ideal opening pair, and they need to be supported and backed by Team India. Yuvraj opening would be a total embarassment, but Mohammad Kaif can pull it off as he has a decent batting technique.

Waughney

International Debutant
masterblaster said:

You have got to be joking. He's a domestic wonderbat, an International wonderflop nothing more, nothingless.

Sehwag and Chopra is my ideal opening pair, and they need to be supported and backed by Team India. Yuvraj opening would be a total embarassment, but Mohammad Kaif can pull it off as he has a decent batting technique.
Agree. I can't see Jaffer succeeding there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:

Ah. Saner thoughts on the forum :D

I agree. But I think Ganguly cooked Chopra's 'goose' by putting him on permanent 'tenterhooks' when out of the blue he dropped him in Pakistan, talked of Yuvraj as an opener and got Parthiv to open.

His confidence is SHOT !!

Jaffer doesnt deserve more chances but we need to look around for an opener on the bench. It has to be from Jadhav, Sriram and company

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Playing McGrath is *slightly* different to bullying no-marks on Ranji featherbeds. What credentials does Yuvraj have that Sehwag hasn't?
You can only play against what you have got. If the contender is the best batsman against them, he's the best batsman against McGrath as well.

shaka

International Regular
Sehwag's innings of 155 has cemented his place in the team, and to open the innings for India. It will really boost his confidence

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Arjun said:
You can only play against what you have got. If the contender is the best batsman against them, he's the best batsman against McGrath as well.
That's a blatant untruth.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
That's a blatant untruth.
And how? How can an unknown character be the best against McGrath, when he's not even the best against those no-marks? Besides, some of them are actually good enough to get into the Indian team, and are better than the team's first-choice pace attack.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Yuvraj is just as good at stupid shots as any other batsman in the world, if not better.
:D :D :D

Actually its not just stupid shots. It is compounded by a huge gap in technique. He has no clue whatsoever, what to do with a good length delivery on or outside the off stump and leaving him. He has the worst defense off the front foot that I remember for a front ranking test batsman for a long long time. Considering that , this is perhaps the first thing any coach will teach a youngster, I wonder who coached him and whether he was ever listening ??

If sweeping (if its a spinner) and hanging your bat out hopefully is the only way he knows how to tackle a delivery that is neither a half volley nor a short pitched delivery, he better go back to school !

Those who think that with this kind of technique he can survive against world class bowling in tests , and (GOD FORBID) as an opener, well I say to them, "You win boss :p I have nothing to say to you ."

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
NikhilN said:
Not playing stupid shots
There is a big difference between a bad driver (one who is basically bad) and a very fast driver (who can drive well but takes risks in order to drive fast). Unfortunately, there is atendency to equate the two.

Sehwag has a far superior technique to Yuvra. He can play off both feet, on both sides of the wicket and virtually all the strokes in the game. He can play a square cut as well as Dravid, a cover drive as well as Ganguly, a straight dirve as well as Sachin, a flick to mid wicket as well as Azhar and a pull as well as Laxman.

He can also drive , with a straight bat , and off the backfoot, to both midwicket and covers, a sign of high quality batsmanship.

If he is to be faulted , it is in his desire, at times misplaced, to demolish the bowling and play strokes even to good bowling AND, at times, to forget that test matches are different from ODI's. But that is his make up and maybe, it would be disastrous to change that too much.

I am sure over time, he will settle down with the urge to dominate tempered with the desire to put up big scores. Today , he prefers the former to the latter. So did Sachin in his earlier avataar but Sachin was , perhaps, more ambitious than Sehwag (no disrespect meant to either).

Yuvraj is NOT in the same category by a huge distance.

He has limited strokes by comparison and no defense to speak of. He can be contained (or made to play poorly) by a particular mode of attack. As the Aussies are doing today. Sehwag may self destruct but for Yuvraj you just need a smart and thinking bowler(or captain/manager).

Yuvraj may improve, probably will, but that will require improvements in his game and big improvements at that. Sehwag is already a big scorer and will score much more with a bit of tempering.

It doesnt take a genius to see who is likely to do better. and only a totally prejudiced fan will equate them .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
And how? How can an unknown character be the best against McGrath, when he's not even the best against those no-marks?
How many times does this crop up?

Domestic Cricket is nowhere near a guarantee to success in Tests.

Probably the 2 greatest English-qualified domestic batsmen of the 90s were Hick and Ramprakash...

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj is not a mediocre player at all. He just needs to get his own technique sorted out, and then he'll become the matchwinner he was in 2002 and early 2004. He has got quite a few 50's and 2 centuries in ODI's, one against the Aussies, and a 50 and a 100 in his first two Test innings, which shows he is can bat quite well. He hits the ball hard, unlike most Indina batsmen, he has a very good sense of timing and can thus be a danger to any opposition attack when in form. His fielding can also win matches, and the runs he saves are crucial. He may be in terrible form, but a few seasons in domestic cricket, as well as some hints from former Test players, can help him get back into good form. He shouldn't be discarded permanently, since he is a very unique player- a tall, well-built left-hander who scores runs in big shots, and can field very well.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Yuvraj is not a mediocre player at all. He just needs to get his own technique sorted out, .
EXACTLY. And those who need there techniques sorted out shouldnt be opening !!

His batting . as it is today, is more suited to the limited over format. No one is saying discard him from that.

Match winner of earlier years ?...again we are not talking limited overs.

Hard hitter, great sense of timing etc...have you heard of Atul Bedade of Baroda ?? Lets talk what it takes to perform in tests.

Tall well built leaft hander who plays big shots ?? Again we are neither talking limited overs nor walking the ramp !

His fielding can win matches...Well fielding (of an individual) in a fifty over game has a different impact than in a five day game. Even a Jonty Rhodes did not command a test place on fielding alone. PLUS, why do you presume other youngster who will replace him dont field well. We dont want him to be replaced by Ganguly-clones in the field. Most young cricketrs in India are live wires on the field;.

He is just in bad form. Nothing that a word from a senior cricketer cant mend

It is much worse than bad form. Nothing wrong in dropping people who are in bad form anyway. How does a senior cricketer help in bad form ? Yes he has technical flaws, AND YES they can be rectified BUT NOT IN THE TEST SIDE !!

It has to be done in the nets and elsewhere !

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Again we are neither talking limited overs nor walking the ramp !
A Hayden, Gilchrist, Gayle or Trescothick would be very useful in the Indian team.

It is much worse than bad form. Nothing wrong in dropping people who are in bad form anyway. How does a senior cricketer help in bad form ? Yes he has technical flaws, AND YES they can be rectified BUT NOT IN THE TEST SIDE !!
Not just a senior cricketer, but also a former Test player.

When he's in good form, he can be a key player even in Tests. He should not be discarded forever, just because it is Test cricket. He need not open, but he can still score runs. A few big scores on the trot and things will be back to normal. If he's in form before the SA series, he may get back into the Test side.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Regarding Yuvraj, considering possible replacements/threats to his spot are Kaif (and Chopra) I don't think fielding even comes into the question since they both field exceptionally well.

Hopefully Yuvraj can score tomorrow on day 5 :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
A Hayden, Gilchrist, Gayle or Trescothick would be very useful in the Indian team.

Oh ! So you think Yuvraj is comparable to Hayden and Gilchrist ??

You win boss. I lose :huh: :huh: