• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dominating series perfomace against tough bowling attacks

MediumFast

Cricket Spectator
Flower vs SA 2001/02

2 match series. But he made 422@211 against a 6 man bowling attack of Pollock, Ntini, Nel, Kallas, Klusener, Henderson.

He had a MOTM in the first test despite SA winning by 9 wickets.

I'll see if I can remember any others
This was proper and maybe the best example

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
With all due respect, Tendulkar did well but aside from Dale Steyn I wouldn't call this particular bowling attack tough. At least not on paper. Admittedly i didn't see the series so maybe I am mistaken.
Yeah, calling it a great attack would be a bit of a stretch, looking back now. When SA upgraded Tsotsobe with Philander and put Morkel in his rightful place as first-change quick, they started bowling teams out for <50 and went on to win everywhere. Steyn at his peak getting the lion's share of wickets (partly because he didn't have to compete with someone on his level) was a sight to behold, though.
Yeah but this is what happens when we just pick names to judge a bowling attack without the context of the period. In that case we can also take out Dravid vs England 2011 because that attack had Tremlett and Bresnan, neither of whom qualify as great fast bowlers.

We can also write of England's greatest Ashes win in 2010 because guess what - Bresnan and Tremlett were the guys taking wickets.

You can't judge an attack by individual names. That South African side of 2010 was well on their way to becoming their greatest test side in a year or two. Just because Philander hadn't arrived yet and the name Tsotsobe does not scream greatness does not make it a poor attack.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
De Villiers v Australia 2013/14 facing peak Johnson and Harris - alongside Siddle. Maybe not dominating necessarily in the amount of runs he scored, but how 'comfortable' he looked at the crease compared to the other SA batsman

Kirkut

International Regular
De Villiers v Australia 2013/14 facing peak Johnson and Harris - alongside Siddle. Maybe not dominating necessarily in the amount of runs he scored, but how 'comfortable' he looked at the crease compared to the other SA batsman
I believe Johnson in that tour was even more lethal than he was in Ashes series previously.

Chrish

International Debutant
Didn't the whole Australian batting lineup perform well against them throughout the 90s?
Collectively yes. but I don't recall any series triumph from one particular player.

In fact Wasim had done quite well against Australia. Averaged 24 in and 26 overall against them.

Chrish

International Debutant
I just love how every single Wasim video starts with someone dropping a catch in slip, as to add the dramatic effect.. It almost seems staged! lol

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised Brian Lara's 668 runs in three tests in 2001 in Sri Lanka when the Windies were whitewashed and Vaas and Murali took 50 out of 60 WI wickets between them hasn't come up yet. How little support do you have to have to score a double century and a century in a test and still get thrashed?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprised Brian Lara's 668 runs in three tests in 2001 in Sri Lanka when the Windies were whitewashed and Vaas and Murali took 50 out of 60 WI wickets between them hasn't come up yet. How little support do you have to have to score a double century and a century in a test and still get thrashed?
Tillekaratne racked up 400+ runs in 4 innings with average close to 200. So Lara was not the only big scorer in that series.

Slifer

International Captain
Tillekaratne racked up 400+ runs in 4 innings with average close to 200. So Lara was not the only big scorer in that series.
Tillerkaratne A. Didnot dominate the series close to what Lara did and B. Which is the point of the topic, WI bowling attack was far from being tough. Sri Lanka's on the other hand certainly was.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The question is 'Dominating series perfomace against tough bowling attacks'. Lara scored 70% more runs than Tillekaratne and did it facing one of the greatest bowlers ever and Vaas at peak form, as opposed to Ramnarine, Dillon and Collins. There's no question he belongs here.

Seem to remember Desmond Haynes dominating WW at home in the 93 series.
Carried his bat for 143* in the first test when the last seven wickets went down for only 53 runs and scored another hundred in the next test. Certainly impressive.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Did everyone forget Yousuf against England in 06? It supplemented possibly the greatest batting year of all time and while all others around him failed and flailed. I got to meet him after his double at Lord's and he was one of the most humble sportsmen I have ever met. He followed that up with probably an even more fluid innings at Headingley. He was an absolute master at the top of his game.

All this against a varied attack, the height and pace of Harmy, the guile and swing of Hoggard and the turn of Monty (who did better than most expected). This is the best batting series I have seen live and the most dominant.

Those I read about and saw in highlights I would include Lara in Australia, he seemed to be remarkable, especially with regards to the situation (captaincy failing, batting failing, rampant Aussie attack).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan is a glaring omission.. Looks like no player was able to dominate 2 Ws.
Martin Crowe was probably the only one to score heavily against Wasim/Waqar at their peak (89-94) which is why they considered him the best batsman they faced throughout the 90s.

Lot of players have scored runs against Pakistan at various times but if you we apply a strict criteria of 'dominating in a series when most others have failed' then that automatically narrows it down by a great deal. Sangakkara has always scored runs against Pakistan and I would say he dominated but don't think he was the only one scoring the runs.

Sehwag has also dominated Pak but again, he had others scoring as well.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Did everyone forget Yousuf against England in 06? It supplemented possibly the greatest batting year of all time and while all others around him failed and flailed. I got to meet him after his double at Lord's and he was one of the most humble sportsmen I have ever met. He followed that up with probably an even more fluid innings at Headingley. He was an absolute master at the top of his game.

All this against a varied attack, the height and pace of Harmy, the guile and swing of Hoggard and the turn of Monty (who did better than most expected). This is the best batting series I have seen live and the most dominant.

Those I read about and saw in highlights I would include Lara in Australia, he seemed to be remarkable, especially with regards to the situation (captaincy failing, batting failing, rampant Aussie attack).
I was going to mention it but Pakistan's batting did quite well in that series. It was their bowling sans Asif and Akhtar that led them down. They scored 500+ twice in that series.
YK scored heavily as well, not as much as Yousuf but he had a good series and Inzy chipped in with a few fifties.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Slifer mentioned it early on.