• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

His Dudeness

Cricket Spectator
The Don is the greatest sportsman the world has ever seen, in any sport. There is nowhere where the statistical gulf is so wide. Would be interesting to analyse this but the conclusion is obvious.
Couldn't agree more. There's even a coefficient out there that puts him top, ahead of the baseballers, Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth, and the likes of athletes such as Emil Zatopek and Ed Moses. That's why we have a word like Bradmanesque. Ruth (Ruthian) is the only other sportsperson, to my knowledge, who has inspired that degree of legitimate and justified adulation.

Interestingly, for us baseballicket fans, there's a pitcher called Jacob DeGrom who's having a Bradmanesque season as I write. Minds are being blown.

His Dudeness

Cricket Spectator
I adore Ken, but all the reservations are justified.

His fear of, and unfamiliarity with, pace exposed him against Hall and Griffith, who, in the post-Heine and Adcock era - 1964 to 1970 - were just about the only quicks he faced with anything remotely resembling regularity or approaching life-threatening pace and aggression until Dennis popped along. I'd love to know what Ken averaged against Our Fred.

Sobers played in the same era and he didn't have to face Gibbs/Hall et all. And yet he still averaged less than Barrington over his career. Of course, he scored his runs at a faster rate which is one of the reasons he finishes above Barrington in this analysis.

Anyway, I just posted no.7 so I'm leaving this thread to go into meltdown for a few hours. Back soon. :ph34r:
Fea

Days of Grace

International Captain

His fear of, and unfamiliarity with, pace exposed him against Hall and Griffith, who, in the post-Heine and Adcock era - 1964 to 1970 - were just about the only quicks he faced with anything remotely resembling regularity or approaching life-threatening pace and aggression until Dennis popped along. I'd love to know what Ken averaged against Our Fred.

Fea
Barrington averaged 34.73 in matches involving Hall or Griffith or both. Scored 3 centuries. Hardly a disaster, but well below his career average.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Peter Pollock was as quick as Hall or Griffith and arguably better than either.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Against Hall, Griffith, or Pollock, Barrington averaged 43 with 5 centuries. He averaged 58 against them away with 5 centuries.

Unless you want to be very selective, there is no way Barrington doesn't make a top 10 or top 15 list of test batsmen if the criteria is purely stats based.