• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

does the super 8 go to long

does the super 8 stage go to long

• yes

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • no

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
wtf? i if you went back and read what i wrote...i never said it was fairer...i said it was better...i not doing anything like a spoiled brat...
When you use the words "people complain that its not fair and all that crap", it implies you think the current format is fairer than previous ones. 8-) Yet another instance of you backtracking.

its just you because you think india and pakistan own cricket or something...
Way to generalise. So now pointing out that a particular format isn't fair enough for a tournament like the World Cup is thinking that "india and pakistan own cricket or something" ?? You make far too many assumptions to be taken seriously.

anyways i was just saying what you would have said here anyway...that its not fair how the **** is that being a spoiled brat...
Really ? Since when were you authorised to speak for me ? If I have something to say, I'll say it myself. I don't need you putting a spin on what you think I might say. Comprehend that ?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
When you use the words "people complain that its not fair and all that crap", it implies you think the current format is fairer than previous ones. 8-) Yet another instance of you backtracking.
Hell no im not backtracking...I never implied the current one was fairer...we were talking about a quarterfinals not the current format...and when i say all that crap i mean all that complaining...

Really ? Since when were you authorised to speak for me ? If I have something to say, I'll say it myself. I don't need you putting a spin on what you think I might say. Comprehend that ?
Who the said im speaking for you? I said whatever i felt like saying and so i pointed out the people like you would have complained about quarterfinals thats all...it thats not what you were going to say about quarterfinals...than go ahead say whatever..then im not talking about you but im talking about other people who will think its unfair...Comprehend?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I also think that this system is the best way, because in order to qualify for the semi finals you have to beat the best. However, a quarterfinal knockout system would add more excitement to the tournament.

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
nd when i say all that crap i mean all that complaining...
And yet, funnily enough, you have still not shown why the supposed complaining is unwarranted.

Who the said im speaking for you?
I did.

I said whatever i felt like saying and so i pointed out the people like you would have complained about quarterfinals thats all...it thats not what you were going to say about quarterfinals...than go ahead say whatever..then im not talking about you but im talking about other people who will think its unfair...Comprehend?
If you're going to try and pre-empt what others are gong to be saying, you'd better be damned well prepared to face the heat and justify that stance, explaining why you feel their points are, in your own words, "crap". Unless you can do so, you can spare us the holier than thou attitude.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
And yet, funnily enough, you have still not shown why the supposed complaining is unwarranted.
. hhhmm because a tournament's main purpose is to provide excitement for the audience...its purpose is not to be fair....

guess what? no, i know what i'm saying not you.

If you're going to try and pre-empt what others are gong to be saying, you'd better be damned well prepared to face the heat and justify that stance, explaining why you feel their points are, in your own words, "crap". Unless you can do so, you can spare us the holier than thou attitude.
Listen, i said what i already heard from other people and will say whatever and i'll add my comment too. I already did many time...again i explained above that a tournament's purpose isn't to be fair for the other teams...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The group stages aren't qualification though, they're part of the tournament.

What you're saying is the equivalent of saying the group stages of the 2010 World Cup should be in 2009.
I'm saying the preliminary group stages shouldn't have been part of the tournament finals, they should have been part of the qualifying.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wouldn't add in extra games, it would deduct games from the tournament finals, which is exactly what everyone wanted after the last event.

And it'd marginalise what should never have been centred ITFP.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You're that anti-expansion aren't you?

The idea that full members aren't allowed at the World Cup when there's so few of them is a farce.

And it would in extra games, 4 for them in fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're that anti-expansion aren't you?
No. Expansion has little or nothing to do with World Cups.
The idea that full members aren't allowed at the World Cup when there's so few of them is a farce.
Which is why no-one's proposing such a thing - it'd probably concentrate minds rather better than they were in this event...
And it would in extra games, 4 for them in fact.
Eh?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think he's referring to 4 extra super 8 games

ie Eng V NZ, Ire V WI, Ban V SL, Aus V SA

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
A month of almost continuous cricket, too much? Hell, no! :)

I think this is a very fair system -- at the start, every team had their chance, and not one single team was knocked out by one freak result. Pak just needed to beat Ireland to stay in, while India could have beaten SL.

The best 8 teams in the tournament during the group stage have ended up in the Super 8. And now, each team gets to test itself against all the others.

There really haven't been that many dead rubbers so far, although there may be a couple around the corner. And all the minnows got at least three matches against decent opposition.

The only fair alternative I can think of would be to have a "Super 2x4" phase, with two groups of four (e.g. SuperA=A1/B2/C1/D2, SuperB=A2/B1/C2/D1) and only then go into the semi-finals (SuperA1 vs SuperB2, SuperA2 vs SuperB1).

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is far and away the best place for expansion to take place, because it is the biggest stage.
No, it's not. Expansion does not happen by means of one-off events - it happens by means of years of construction.
You are, by having only 8 teams in the Finals.
There are only 8 Full Members worthy of such a thing...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In your mind.

Bearing in mind that 2 of said 8 clearly showed themselves to not be worthy, I think you'll have to revisit your views...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
No, it's not. Expansion does not happen by means of one-off events - it happens by means of years of construction.

There are only 8 Full Members worthy of such a thing...
Ok again WORLD vs "Champions"... only "champions" are worthy to be in the champions trophy while the rest of the world gets a chance to compete in the WORLD cup...you're right it takes many years of construction but doing well in a world cup raises its name in w/e country....its like saying australia/trinidad & tobago didn't deserve to be in the fifa world cup...look at how it raised soccer in those country...it does help because people take note when you country is doing better than most of the other the countries...