• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anyone wish, odi cricket was back?

Jumno

First Class Debutant
Maybe everyone will differ here.

I loved 50 over cricket. The chase was intriguing, middle overs etc and back in the days, we are talking about the 90s, up until 2007 world cup, 250 was a good score.

Many many odi tournaments throughout the year-the sharjah cup, Carlton and united series, odi tri tournaments in Sri Lanka, odi series. Another tournament somewhere even in Sharjah.

It was certainly captivating.

Maybe T20 is the future, although it is smack bang with no real finesse in it, like 50 over cricket.

Jumno

First Class Debutant
I used to love all over the 12 month period, packed with odi tournaments, the usual Carlton and united, Sharjah series, singer world series, odi Series etc.

Even after 2002 we still had the Sharjah cup with many odi series, tournaments such as the Compaq cup.

The sheer number of odi tournaments made it exciting for cricket fans.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think I'd quite enjoy a tri-series even if it was T20 honestly.

It'd be cool if we got team A touring team B for a Test series, then team C arrives and they play a tri-series, then team C and B play a Test series

While I do love ODIs I just can't see that being part of their future. The World Cup is great though.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sharjah ODIs vs Pak/Aus, the Titan Cup, Hero Cup and the Aus CB series were must watch events for me as a kid. It definitely suffered from oversaturation at the time, but compared to the state it's in now, it was amazing. It'll never return to what it was, too many factors slowly eating away at what made the format good.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
There were some good ones in SA as well. I have fond memories of the SA/WI/Pak one.

Aside from tri-series, Australasia Cup anyone?

jcas0167

International Debutant
The old World Series Cricket tri-series was so good. At its best those games had a level of drama and suspense that was hard to beat. Everything is so compressed in T20. That said, I'm not sure you could get the same crowds that generated the atmosphere for those games now.

Molehill

International Captain
The old World Series Cricket tri-series was so good. At its best those games had a level of drama and suspense that was hard to beat. Everything is so compressed in T20. That said, I'm not sure you could get the same crowds that generated the atmosphere for those games now.
I like going to ODI's more than anything else really. A full day of cricket (mostly), both teams batting and bowling and a result. A day at the Test runs the risk of just watching the opposition bat all day.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Maybe everyone will differ here.

I loved 50 over cricket. The chase was intriguing, middle overs etc and back in the days, we are talking about the 90s, up until 2007 world cup, 250 was a good score.

Many many odi tournaments throughout the year-the sharjah cup, Carlton and united series, odi tri tournaments in Sri Lanka, odi series. Another tournament somewhere even in Sharjah.

It was certainly captivating.

Maybe T20 is the future, although it is smack bang with no real finesse in it, like 50 over cricket.
I certainly miss this type of ODI, where there was greater balance between bat and ball and teams always picked their first choice side.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Do any Australian posters know why the tri series was dropped, as this would provide some good context on the decline of the tournaments we are discussing?
Was it lack of interest in the matches not involving the hosts, the cost of hosting two touring teams at one time or something else?
In England there was a short lived experiment with a trio series in 2000-5 which apparently ended as the neutral matches did not attract interest. There was an article on the subject in cricinfo or one of the U.K. cricket magazines a few years ago. While it should not come as a surprise, it was striking how the tri series began and ended because ‘Sky told us to’.

Molehill

International Captain
Do any Australian posters know why the tri series was dropped, as this would provide some good context on the decline of the tournaments we are discussing?
Was it lack of interest in the matches not involving the hosts, the cost of hosting two touring teams at one time or something else?
In England there was a short lived experiment with a trio series in 2000-5 which apparently ended as the neutral matches did not attract interest. There was an article on the subject in cricinfo or one of the U.K. cricket magazines a few years ago. While it should not come as a surprise, it was striking how the tri series began and ended because ‘Sky told us to’.
It also coincided with us being particularly rubbish (more so than usual) at ODI's and I went to at least 2 Finals I think that didn't involve England. One of those was the infamous beer can into the Lord's balcony incident (the last time I think spectators set foot on the hallowed turf).

howitzer

International 12th Man
It also coincided with us being particularly rubbish (more so than usual) at ODI's and I went to at least 2 Finals I think that didn't involve England. One of those was the infamous beer can into the Lord's balcony incident (the last time I think spectators set foot on the hallowed turf).
I'd completely forgotten about that. One of the darkest days in the history of cricket in this country.

Molehill

International Captain
I'd completely forgotten about that. One of the darkest days in the history of cricket in this country.
Yeah, a terrible game that finished early (much like the '99 Final). That whole series was marred by incidents, mostly from Pakistani fans for some reason.

It should also be noted that another of those Finals was the England/India game that was listed as one of the greatest ODI's of all time.

howitzer

International 12th Man
Yeah, a terrible game that finished early (much like the '99 Final). That whole series was marred by incidents, mostly from Pakistani fans for some reason.

It should also be noted that another of those Finals was the England/India game that was listed as one of the greatest ODI's of all time.
The one with the Yuvraj/Kaif partnership? Yeah that was magnificent if I have the right one.