• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you agree with Ganguly??

anzac

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Reasons why South Africa is better than New Zealand (w/ Bond):

1/ SA has two stable openers who form a very good partnership. New Zealand has one and no partnership.
2/ Gary Kirsten is statistically a better batsman than any of the Kiwis, bar Richardson.
3/ Jacques Kallis is the best allrounder in world IMO and at the very least is leagues ahead of New Zealand allrounders.
4/ Mark Boucher is a better batsman than Hart and McCullum and is a far better keeper than McCullum.
5/ New Zealand have one world class bowler and a few good bowlers. In Pollock and Ntini, South Africa have two world class bowlers.

although this is off topic I'd have to agree with you on most points....

I'd say that Vettori is the better spinner in the 2 sides although his wickets may not reflect this. Fleming's Captaincy would rate higher than Smith, and the 2 sides would be on a par so far as their fielding goes.

on paper the NZ batting & bowling lineups may not rate very highly - batting certainly behind OZ, RSA, PAK, IND, SRL, & possibly on a par or nearabouts to ENG & WI, with bowling a similar story.

However it is their performance as a TEAM that sees their current rating as being higher than their individual & attack rankings.....

:D

anzac

International Debutant
so far as Ganguly's comments go.........

yes they CAN.....IF..........and it's a mighty BIG 'if'...........

and no - not if it's meant to be judged after this series alone......

IMO 'IF' India are to become no1 then it will depend upon the depth of their talent coming thru (esp seam bowling as their batting & spin is usually strong), and their ability to consistantly win Away series.

Bottom line I do not think we will likely be seeing this until towards the end of the life cycle of this current batting lineup (SRT, Dravid, Ganguly esp), as it will take them several years to start winning Away consistantly.....

:)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
WEll looking at India's reserve pace bowling line up:

Munaf Patel
Amit Bhandari
Aavishkar Salvi
Sidharth Trivedi
Sreeshanth

There's some pretty good talent in that lot. Indeed, TA Sekhar the head coach of the MRF pace academy feels that India's pace bowling situation is currently the best that it has ever been.

I think India can be cautiously optimistic about winning their first overseas series soon.

Re: the 2nd best side in the world,
1) Ganguly was stupid to have said that. He should have been more diplomatic.
2) Ok RSA are probably no 2 but I don't think they're as far ahead of the other teams as everyone suggests.
I wasn't particularly impressed by them in England or in Pakistan.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
ummm I don't think I will agree with Gangs just yet. India have just won ONE match, not the series. Even if India win the series, IMO they still won't be the #1 team. Australia have been winning consistently almost all series for 5 years now. India will have to win overseas series frequently (at least 4 more series continuously) to be called #1.

amits

Banned
ReallyCrazy said:
ummm I don't think I will agree with Gangs just yet. India have just won ONE match, not the series. Even if India win the series, IMO they still won't be the #1 team. Australia have been winning consistently almost all series for 5 years now. India will have to win overseas series frequently (at least 4 more series continuously) to be called #1.
reallycrazy, u r really living up to ur name. u r reallllllllllllllllyyyyy crazy.

y r u so much unpatriotic ?

if india win this series 3-0, even the most one-eyed aussie fans will say that india is no.1

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
amits said:
reallycrazy, u r really living up to ur name. u r reallllllllllllllllyyyyy crazy.

if india win this series 3-0, even the most one-eyed aussie fans will say that india is no.1
India are no way number 1. They have an atrocious away record. When they turn that around over a time period, then they can call themselves number 1.

Can they be number 1? I think so ... but they need the seam bowlers they have to step it up another level. Khan I like, Nehra too. If they can find another quality 3rd fast bowler, and play consistently over a number of years (as Austrailian have done), then they might be able to call themselves number one.

Austrailia will not be unseated for at least 2 years. India have to win in Austrailia, SA, England, NZ and the Windies for me to take notice ... just like Austrailia have been doing for 14 years.

Choora

State Regular
Ponting Responds to Ganguly!

Long way before India can be number one: Ponting

Press Trust of India
Sydney, December 18

Sourav Ganguly's statement that India was ready to replace Australia as the top team in the world has prompted a sharp reaction from Ricky Ponting who said it would be a long way before the Indian team dethrones the champions.

"They have won one Test (in Australia) in 20-odd-years. They have got a long way to go before they can start talking like that," said Ponting, smarting under the defeat to India in the Adelaide Test on Tuesday.

"If they think they can be world champions after winning one Test, well, good luck to them," the Australian Test skipper in waiting was on Thursday quoted as saying in a Daily Telegraph report headlined "Ponting warns ****y Indians".

But Ponting was quick to point out that India did have the ability to become a top side in the world.

"They have got the side (to be the number one), they are a good team but there is a long way to go yet."

Still licking the wounds after the shock defeat, Ponting said his side would have to play "extremely well" to prevent another defeat in the series.

"We are going to have to play extremely well to win this series. They (Melbourne and Sydney) are both pretty good batting wickets which the Indians generally play well on," he said.

With the defeat sinking in slowly, leg-spinner Stuart MacGill said the mood in the dressing room was "pensive".

And there was pure admiration as MacGill tried to analyse India's win in a report in the 'Sydney Morning Herald'.

"The great lesson for us to learn this week is the way they won the Test match -- they did it through patience.

"Dizzy (Jason Gillespie) and I both thought we had bowled as well as we had done in months, years perhaps, and yet they took no notice of the scoreboard and just proceeded to protect their wicket," said the bowler.

The furore over coach John Buchanan's criticism of Australian batsmen's shot selection was still evoking varied reaction in the media.

Although former great Ian Chappell labelled Buchanan's comments as "ludicrous", Adam Gilchrist said he agreed to his coach's view.

"I tend to agree with him. We did not particularly play well and appropriately to the circumstances," he was quoted as saying.

"It is probably debatable what words you could use to describe it but the harsh reality is we did not apply ourselves as well as we should have in order to bat India out of the game.

"Buch's our coach and what coaches do -- what it is their job to do -- is to give criticism where it is warranted. I certainly did not have a problem with what he said. He is our coach and if he feels it is warranted, then he should say it.

"The good thing about the side is that any criticism we receive we cop it on the chin and get on with it."

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
amits said:

Yet another display of baseless bias over patriotism. India would do well to win outside of their tailor-made pitches occasionally.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Ponting Responds to Ganguly!

Choora said:
Long way before India can be number one: Ponting

Press Trust of India
Sydney, December 18

Sourav Ganguly's statement that India was ready to replace Australia as the top team in the world has prompted a sharp reaction from Ricky Ponting who said it would be a long way before the Indian team dethrones the champions.

"They have won one Test (in Australia) in 20-odd-years. They have got a long way to go before they can start talking like that," said Ponting, smarting under the defeat to India in the Adelaide Test on Tuesday.

"If they think they can be world champions after winning one Test, well, good luck to them," the Australian Test skipper in waiting was on Thursday quoted as saying in a Daily Telegraph report headlined "Ponting warns ****y Indians".

But Ponting was quick to point out that India did have the ability to become a top side in the world.

"They have got the side (to be the number one), they are a good team but there is a long way to go yet."

Still licking the wounds after the shock defeat, Ponting said his side would have to play "extremely well" to prevent another defeat in the series.

"We are going to have to play extremely well to win this series. They (Melbourne and Sydney) are both pretty good batting wickets which the Indians generally play well on," he said.

With the defeat sinking in slowly, leg-spinner Stuart MacGill said the mood in the dressing room was "pensive".

And there was pure admiration as MacGill tried to analyse India's win in a report in the 'Sydney Morning Herald'.

"The great lesson for us to learn this week is the way they won the Test match -- they did it through patience.

"Dizzy (Jason Gillespie) and I both thought we had bowled as well as we had done in months, years perhaps, and yet they took no notice of the scoreboard and just proceeded to protect their wicket," said the bowler.

The furore over coach John Buchanan's criticism of Australian batsmen's shot selection was still evoking varied reaction in the media.

Although former great Ian Chappell labelled Buchanan's comments as "ludicrous", Adam Gilchrist said he agreed to his coach's view.

"I tend to agree with him. We did not particularly play well and appropriately to the circumstances," he was quoted as saying.

"It is probably debatable what words you could use to describe it but the harsh reality is we did not apply ourselves as well as we should have in order to bat India out of the game.

"Buch's our coach and what coaches do -- what it is their job to do -- is to give criticism where it is warranted. I certainly did not have a problem with what he said. He is our coach and if he feels it is warranted, then he should say it.

"The good thing about the side is that any criticism we receive we cop it on the chin and get on with it."
Hmmm...you'd think Waugh would've been the one to respond.

masterblaster

International Captain
But I totally agree with Ricky Ponting, absoultely.

After one series, how can we expect us to be number 1 or even number 2 for that matter.

We haven't won an away series in over 16 years for god sakes!!

Amit your simply a fool, one appreciates your patriotism, but behind your back people are laughing at you and are seriously questioning your intelligence.

Amit, when India wins 17 tests on the trot, and all of their upcoming away series fixtures on green, bouncy, seaming tracks then I will say that yeah, WE have the best team in the world.

Currently, we deserve the number 4 position AT BEST.

Amit, don't be a fool - it's only making people laugh at you further. Not even bats are as blind as you.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
amits said:
...even the most one-eyed aussie fans will say that india is no.1
Nah, not me.:lol:

Loved what Ponting said. The smirk on his face as he said '..well, good luck to them' was priceless.

amits

Banned
i have said this that if india win 3-0 against aus in aus, then even the most one-eyed aussie fans will say india is the best team. we r already 2nd best.

V Reddy

International Debutant
amits said:
i have said this that if india win 3-0 against aus in aus, then even the most one-eyed aussie fans will say india is the best team. we r already 2nd best.
Hey amit , remember we haven't won a test series away ever since i was born ;) . You won't become no.1 with one series victory :O . That series victory too is very doubtful to happen let alone 3-0. India maybe second best in onedayers but nowhere near that in tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
amits said:

Patriotism and partisanity are the preserve of fools.
Fanship of the game of cricket is far more important than any team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
Are RSA really that a good a team ?

When RSA came here in late 2001, they were billed as a side capable of genuinely competing with Australia for the world no 1 spot.
Nothing of the sort ensued - Australia absolutely annnihlated them both here and in RSA.

I saw them in England -- they weren't all that impressive and they subsequently lost in Pakistan to an emerging Pakistani outfit.

Kim Hughes was correct in one sense -- NZ (with Shane Bond) are probably a more worthy no 2 than RSA.
Kim Hughes and you are surely having a laugh.
New Zealand, better than South Africa?
(I assume that no-one can possibly consider New Zealand a viable ODI side so I'll assume we're talking Tests)
New Zealand's recent regulars:
Richardson - almost always scored runs, some in my view pretty cheap. No arguing with those he scored against, for instance, India, Sri Lanka and West Indies of the recent times, but really I think the term flat-track bully applies to him.
Vincent - scored a century in his last Test and had a sensational debut; really never lived-up to the hope created on that debut. Perhaps, looking at his First-Class record, it's not surprising - there seem to be plenty of better young openers around in New Zealand.
Fleming - very good player, improving all the time.
Styris - again, no arguing with his record, but again, the runs were on some of the flattest tracks you'll see in India and West Indies.
Astle - been injured quite a bit recently but his recent performances have all been good.
McMillan - last series (in very, very easy batting conditions) sensational, previous few series' appalling. Still rate him but it'll take more than that India series to convince me he's back to his best.
Tuffey, Oram - don't rate Oram much as a batsman, so these two's bowling is practically the same category - always dangerous on green wickets, never going to be much of a threat on wickets that don't move off the seam or provide uneven bounce. Also tend to lose their accuracy when the conditions don't suit their movement techniques.
Vettori - best fingerspinner in The World IMO, but hardly bowled recently due to injury and lack of need.
Bond I don't rate in Test-matches anyway - he did well against Bangladesh, on seamers' paradises against India and against West Indies. Only the West Indies one is remotely noteworthy, and for all we know it could just have been poor batting (Liam can doubtless tell us).
Cairns is now coming back to fitness but his bowling was abysmal for Notts last season - over 4-an-over in the First-Class game (and over 5 in the one-dayers).
South Africa, meanwhile:
Smith - potentially, IMO, the best batsman since Bradman and Headley.
Kallis (2nd best all-rounder ever for me, even Miller only just comes close)
Kirsten - getting better all the time.
Gibbs - scored runs consistently for God knows how long now.
McKenzie - always seemed a good player to me, but hasn't done anything since Trent Bridge.
Van Jaarsveld - looks a good player in prospect, always has done.
Boucher - been a good player for some time now.
Pollock - not an especially awe-inspiring bowler IMO on flat wickets but on seaming or uneven wickets it's not really possible to get better than him.
Adams - often a threat, sometimes a wayward nightmare.
Ntini - got accuracy back since tour of England (though it at times disappeared in the First West Indies Test) and took wickets in that game, too. Never really impressed me as much as he seems to have impressed some as far as Test-matches are concerned, but no arguing with his wicket-taking against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and thus far against WI.
Not to mention Boeta Dippenaar, David Terbrugge, Mfuneko Ngam and plenty of others.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Richardson has only played Australia & South Africa early on his career, i'd like to see him bat against them now that he's got some experience.

But I have no doubt that South Africa are a better test side.

krkode

State Captain
I think India have the potential to beat Australia and win in Australia, but I do not think this current team has the potential to do what Australia has done for the past four years.

Being number 1 is about doing what Australia did over the past four years - not beating Australia. That said, even if India beat Australia, it'll take a good deal of work before they can be number 1. As it stands, *any* team has the ability to upset India (read: NZ without Bond, South Africa right after a dismal World Cup, etc.). Australia, on the other hand, are almost untouchable...except by India :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's hard to say whether Shane Bond would have made a difference in India...perhaps on that final day of the 2nd test against India, his extra pace might have won NZ that match.