• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Discussing Infractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnerd123

likes this
FWIW I do think Blocky is owed an explanation from the Mods on why he gets banned and I don't.

I mean, I think my explanation in that thread was pretty spot on, but he needs to hear it from the those making decisions and not me. Who knows, maybe he will change his bad habits once he hears it from them.

Athlai

Not Terrible
FWIW I do think Blocky is owed an explanation from the Mods on why he gets banned and I don't.

I mean, I think my explanation in that thread was pretty spot on, but he needs to hear it from the those making decisions and not me. Who knows, maybe he will change his bad habits once he hears it from them.
Are you getting reported? Are you getting infractions? Why is this about you FFS?

Blocky

Banned

Because you play to the crowd more and don't post opinions that rile up those who treat players as Gods who cannot be flawed. It's a popularity contest, the more reported posts you have regardless of the content, the likelier you are to be infracted.

If I posted a third of the times I did, refused to post opinions/statements/facts about certain players and how they're perceived by their team mates and went with consensus more often, i.e it's fine to bag someone like Adam Voges, but if you bag Steve Smith or Ross Taylor who are personal favorites of forum members, better watch out, you're breaking forum atmosphere.

James to his credit did attempt to explain the rationale behind why some posts of mine were infracted and I agreed with one of them; I won't post that way in future, but the reality is I'm always a couple of crapshoots with people like HeathDavis away from being banned, because they'll report on mass and the moderators aren't really looking to solve the underlying problem of clique behavior.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's pretty simple, I'm a Mike Hoskings/Paul Henry style of person who isn't interested in the way you feel about what I say, as long as what I say has merit. You're the liberal left who doesn't like someone having freedom of speech and their own opinion, so you label it racist.

I'll just label you ignored instead. That's the only sane remedy to this.
I fully believe in freedom of speech, but people should be called out for bigoted views. I honestly cannot believe that in your years of club cricket, you haven't seen Pacific Island players put down for exactly the same 'reasons' you've expressed here. Vastly more talented players haven't made it to first class level as they've been branded 'lazy' on the most spurious of evidence. Continuing to perpetuate those stereotypes with no evidence (this is the lazy, KFC scoffing, diabetes opinion - not whether someone is liked or disliked) continues to perpetuate that myth.

And your 'evidence' is no better than mine about Ross Taylor. I've been around cricketing circles long enough to hear rumours and innuendo from first class and Blackcaps levels and funnily enough, none of what I've heard supports your views about him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I don't think the reason one person gets banned needs to be referable to why someone else does or doesn't. It's analogous to someone being pulled over by a cop and complaining the other drivers are speeding too. That's not how it works. If someone has a drama, just email the mods, as it seems Blocky has here. That's all that needs to happen.

Are you getting reported? Are you getting infractions? Why is this about you FFS?
Probably the post of the thread.

cnerd123

likes this
I made the thread?

But okay i leave it alone let people complain about infractions here and get thread locked. I've made my suggestion i can go.

Flem274*

123/5
in the end i think the posters will make the community what they want it to be, regardless of what the moderators do or say

Burgey

It's pretty simple, I'm a Mike Hoskings/Paul Henry style of person who isn't interested in the way you feel about what I say, as long as what I say has merit. You're the liberal left who doesn't like someone having freedom of speech and their own opinion, so you label it racist.
Freedom warriors always have the thinnest skin, by way of observation. And always but always mean freedom to speak in accordance with their views, whilst vociferously drowning out opposing ones.

It's not for me to give you advice, but I'm going to get supercilious and do it anyway. If you want to go about the world being a "freedom" warrior and feeling as though you can say what you like, when you like and to whom you like without thought or regard as to how people will react to it, then you deserve to be treated the same as every other thoughtless **** who puts saying the first thing which pops into their fragile, diminutive minds ahead of how those thoughts might effect people. We all do it at some point, it's a human failing, but to consciously make a habit of it is odious, boring as bat**** and I suspect a psychosomatic/ emotional deficit of no small order.

You may not care about that, and that's a matter for you. But if you keep doing it you'll find your echo chamber will get smaller and even emptier than it is now. It'll be cold comfort in a few years to stand in front of a mirror talking to the reflection of the only person who listens to you anymore say "But boy-oh-boy, Blocky. You sure told them. You said what you wanted, to whom you wanted and when. Now go microwave yourself a frozen meal for one.

Again".

From the perspective of posting here, if you're repetitive and like a dog with a bone about certain things, I really don't give a ****. I lived through Richard, ffs. You're but the Daniel Ortega to his Josef Stalin in terms of being on the annoying spectrum (among other spectra which I strongly suspect you share). But if you're constantly ****ting people; know you're constantly ****ting people; are always being reported for ****ting people, and oft times banned for ****ting people because of the way you post, what's the point?

Do you get a kick out of it, or is it something of an obsessive compulsion you can't control and feel the urge to do despite your better angels knowing it will lead to nothing good? You'll end up perma'ed eventually, and I suppose a martyr to the freedom brigade, all two of them. But you wont be posting here anymore, which will mean you won't get to share your views on cricket with this group of people who all enjoy the game as much as you seem to. That would be a shame from your POV, and fwiw I don't mind reading some of your viewpoints on the game either (not that I'm the arbiter of all that, but whatever). Unfortunately they get drowned out by the other baggage you choose to post with them.

Anyway, it's a matter for you. Until it once again becomes a matter for the Mods. Then you'll probably be gone for good from here.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Freedom warriors always have the thinnest skin, by way of observation. And always but always mean freedom to speak in accordance with their views, whilst vociferously drowning out opposing ones.

It's not for me to give you advice, but I'm going to get supercilious and do it anyway. If you want to go about the world being a "freedom" warrior and feeling as though you can say what you like, when you like and to whom you like without thought or regard as to how people will react to it, then you deserve to be treated the same as every other thoughtless **** who puts saying the first thing which pops into their fragile, diminutive minds ahead of how those thoughts might effect people. We all do it at some point, it's a human failing, but to consciously make a habit of it is odious, boring as bat**** and I suspect a psychosomatic/ emotional deficit of no small order.

You may not care about that, and that's a matter for you. But if you keep doing it you'll find your echo chamber will get smaller and even emptier than it is now. It'll be cold comfort in a few years to stand in front of a mirror talking to the reflection of the only person who listens to you anymore say "But boy-oh-boy, Blocky. You sure told them. You said what you wanted, to whom you wanted and when. Now go microwave yourself a frozen meal for one.

Again".

From the perspective of posting here, if you're repetitive and like a dog with a bone about certain things, I really don't give a ****. I lived through Richard, ffs. You're but the Daniel Ortega to his Josef Stalin in terms of being on the annoying spectrum (among other spectra which I strongly suspect you share). But if you're constantly ****ting people; know you're constantly ****ting people; are always being reported for ****ting people, and oft times banned for ****ting people because of the way you post, what's the point?

Do you get a kick out of it, or is it something of an obsessive compulsion you can't control and feel the urge to do despite your better angels knowing it will lead to nothing good? You'll end up perma'ed eventually, and I suppose a martyr to the freedom brigade, all two of them. But you wont be posting here anymore, which will mean you won't get to share your views on cricket with this group of people who all enjoy the game as much as you seem to. That would be a shame from your POV, and fwiw I don't mind reading some of your viewpoints on the game either (not that I'm the arbiter of all that, but whatever). Unfortunately they get drowned out by the other baggage you choose to post with them.

Anyway, it's a matter for you. Until it once again becomes a matter for the Mods. Then you'll probably be gone for good from here.
I didn't read much of this, but I'd simply ask you to point me to any occasion I've opened entire threads, or come into threads to have a go at someone based on the opinion they've stated in another thread, or in general about their posting behavior.

Attempting to state I'm thin skinned is pretty laughable, if I was, I'd have left CricketWeb.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I didn't read much of this, but I'd simply ask you to point me to any occasion I've opened entire threads, or come into threads to have a go at someone based on the opinion they've stated in another thread, or in general about their posting behavior.

Attempting to state I'm thin skinned is pretty laughable, if I was, I'd have left CricketWeb.
"I didn't read your post, now I'm going to keep pushing a point no one brought up"

Burgey

I'm not going to do as you've asked me to Blocky, because the point I was making was in response to your vive la freedom post. The thing is, the manner in which you post plainly annoys the crap out of a **** ton of people on here, to the point where it's leading to you getting reported an then infracted and/ or banned. If, as you say, you don't care what people think about the things you post, I don't think you'd be in here discussing bans and infractions.

Blocky

Banned
I'm not going to do as you've asked me to Blocky, because the point I was making was in response to your vive la freedom post. The thing is, the manner in which you post plainly annoys the crap out of a **** ton of people on here, to the point where it's leading to you getting reported an then infracted and/ or banned. If, as you say, you don't care what people think about the things you post, I don't think you'd be in here discussing bans and infractions.
I'm pointing out how ridiculous infractions are, meanwhile being attacked by people who apparently I court into making those attacks, and being told I'll be banned because I respond to people who attack me, not to mention having a good ole laugh at your psycho analysis attempts around me eating frozen meals for one.

All logical stuff. If I get banned, meh, it's just really a case of moderators not being able to pick through horse crap or simply not wanting to. The past two weeks I've had "Ban the troll" thread targeted at me, "Don't feed the troll" thread targeted at me, countless wall of text posts similar to yours directed at me and I got infracted because apparently saying Anderson would be the worst to have 500 wickets isn't good posting. You wonder why I didn't read your post? It's because I don't care what you think of me and you're one of about ten that has written similar wall of texts at me. You've even indicated yourself as others have that you enjoy my cricketing opinions, what baffles me obviously is that if you don't want this forum to devolve into **** posting - don't constantly bring up the way someone else posts.

I never attack anything but the arguments people make. Can you say the same?

Last edited:

Burgey

Well, I can't say that I do. I don't agree with your self-assessment as regards your own posting, but let's leave that aside.

My post wasn't actually intended to get you banned or to consciously rile you up, and I don't believe I've ever reported a post of yours (I may be corrected on that by the Mods tbf). There are times when your posting annoys me, as mine no doubt annoys a lot of people too, probably you included. I was actually trying to point out that there might be ways you could post your views on here which don't consistently fire up so many people so often or lead to ****fights. Make of that what you will. All I know is, things can't keep going the way they are because it's untenable in terms of having a meaningful discussion. Whether that's entirely your fault or not, I don't follow closely enough to say. But you seem to be a catalyst for a lot of stuff, most of which i would imagine is entirely avoidable by a lot of those concerned, you and i both included.

Blocky

Banned
I mean, break down what you're saying here and provide you guys with a wall of text too and see how you enjoy reading it.

1. You're critiquing my posting style, while stating that you agree with some of my cricketing opinions.
  2. You're stating to me that things only seem to kick off when I'm around, yet that's not true, this thread in particular was posted last week and a simple walk through the Ban Announcements thread will show you that's a logical fallacy with how many regular posters in here have received regular bans.
  3. You're saying that I might want to change the style of what I post, but as I've pointed out, something as simple as saying Ross Taylor isn't the most liked member of the change sheds ended up in yet another wall of text from a poster.
  4. You're saying a lot of things are avoidable which I completely agree, I again point out that I didn't bother entering threads that were obviously targeted at baiting me, I also point out I've ignored Flem, Howsie, Gnske, HeathDavis and others based on a realisation that there is no point even attempting cricketing discussion with them.
  5. All through this, we just have repeats of exactly this conversation, a new person taking issue with the way I post. The only thing I do wrong is bother to respond rather than just ignore, although I'm changing that philosophy.
  6. Every community loves a villain, if I'm not here, you guys are **** posting others or claiming others are devolving your forum atmosphere, again, a walk through the ban announcement thread will give you that realisation.

That's the last I'll bother posting in this thread, it's ultimately pointless and to your point, will get me infracted because mods won't view this as "Multiple people won't let the discussion die, and Blocky responds to them to shoot them down, therefore he's at fault" because it's too complicated for them to assess the underlying issues in the forum, far easier just banning either the newcomers who come in and disrupt or the old timers who are known as problem posters than clean up how much cancer exists in this place.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sartre said:
Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Burgey

Fair enough Blocky. Look, I'm not going to get into any sort of flame war with you. All I'll ask is that you take at face value that I wasn't having a lend of you in posting what I did earlier. We can leave it at that if you like.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Fair enough. Look, I'm not going to get into any sort of flame war with you. All I'll ask is that you take at face value that I wasn't having a lend of you in posting what I did earlier. We can leave it at that if you like.
Sure; I appreciate the sentiment with which you're trying to post, basically "If you clean up your act you'd fit in more around here" but I just don't see that being the case, not with the culture this forum has where they celebrate chasing off long term members like Hurricane because they didn't like the way he posted either and not with the fact that you've got people who can't let arguments from two years ago die.

See the above... using anti-semitism to try and define me responding and defending myself in this thread. That's what this forum devolves into, "I don't agree with you, therefore you're racist"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.